• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Paint Warranty Turned Down

Ive just had a reply from honda about paint issues
I have on my car

They said the claim was rejected because the paint depth readings are far too high for a factory produced vehicle
the readings where 150 for the bonnet and 150 for the roof
I know for a fact they havnt been sprayed
and the guy testing them confirmed this also

On the roof there's one tiny rust spot
Under the bonnet there's rust behind the catch on the pannel

Where do I go from here

Any advice appreciated

What year is the car? Also how bad is the rust?

First thought is to complain about it. It should be obvious IMO if the car has been sprayed :?:

What colour is it?? I'll go and measure the paint thickness on mine when i go on my break. :wink:

150 does sound high from what I've read on the Meguiar's forums. The car could have been damaged before it was registered and then repaired so you would never know about it till now.

Right just been out to mine, its Satin Silver and i've had it from new. The only work its had is anew rear quarter and the door resprayed.

Bonnet - 90-98 Micron, although there was on area on the left that was 110 micron
Roof - 90-95 Micron
Passenger rear quarter - 100 Micron
Passenger door - 100 Micron
Drivers rear quarter (New) - 98 Micron
Driver doors - 230 Micron (painted 3 times including at the factory) :roll:

High paint depth from the factory dosn't sound right, we all know how thin and rubbish the factory paint is.

Neily03 said:
Right just been out to mine, its Satin Silver and i've had it from new. The only work its had is anew rear quarter and the door resprayed.

Bonnet - 90-98 Micron, although there was on area on the left that was 110 micron
Roof - 90-95 Micron
Passenger rear quarter - 100 Micron
Passenger door - 100 Micron
Drivers rear quarter (New) - 98 Micron
Driver doors - 230 Micron (painted 3 times including at the factory) :roll:

mine is satin silver

MilanoChris said:
What year is the car? Also how bad is the rust?

First thought is to complain about it. It should be obvious IMO if the car has been sprayed :?:

53 Plate November 2003

Ive been speaking to Steve Dyer the customer services manager at
honda and he said it hasnt been rejected for being resprayed

its been rejected as they consider it has had plenty of paint from the factory
and that its not a warranty issue

but he asked me to resend him some photo's and he would go and sit down with the warranty guys tomorrow for me

I sent him the following

Just to confirm from my previous communication:

The roof and bonnet have never been resprayed as confirmed by the Ryland body shop manager. The depth thickness of the roof and bonnet were 150 on the top of the bonnet.

The underneath of the bonnet has no lacquer and the paint is much thinner.

I have taken the vehicle to several body shops and they say there clearly is not enough paint under the bonnet in the dips. This is the location the rust has started.

On the roof I have no idea why its there but itÂ’s been bubbling since I purchased the car and is now starting to blister badly. When it was checked at the main dealer they scraped their nails over it for some reason, resulting in it blistering open.

I could more than likely get the roof done at a body shop for about £50 but it is under warranty and I trust a Company of your good reputation to honour your commitments.

I have now been back and forth to Ryland for three weeks now about this and have had photographs taken on each occasion. The first lot were lost and the second was apparently not clear enough.

I trust now you have all the facts that you will expedite matters and honour your commitments in full.

Yours sincerely

with these photo's attached

http://www.shonk.org/Civic/Warranty

if you look at the 2 spot welds at the bottom they are also starting to brown
in six months they will be rusting also

adamcivic said:
High paint depth from the factory dosn't sound right, we all know how thin and rubbish the factory paint is.

At just under 100 micron it isn't thin at all! :wink:

Neily03 said:
adamcivic said:

Fair enough - still not impressed with Honda paint. Out of interest how do you check the paint depth?

adamcivic said:
Neily03 said:
adamcivic said:

Fair enough - still not impressed with Honda paint. Out of interest how do you check the paint depth?

With one of these. :wink:

Mine is a satin silver and chips really easily :(

I took it to Honda in Guildford last summer when I bought the car. Never got a reply.

It was only a year old and the paint was more chipped than my 8 year old Seat Ibiza with 80K more miles on the clock :shock:

I found a rusting chiped area in my roof last month :shock: , so I've treated it with a 5 part paint kit from Halfords.

I can definitley recommend it!. You get a buffer to remove the rust, a primer paint, paint the perfect shade for the Honda satin silver, a laqur to finish and a buffer to sand it down to finish. The paints have a tiny paintbrush or a pin point tip to touch up with.

It looks really good and well worth it- about £10 iirc.

NB- Excuse the poor spelling, I'm really tired :oops: )

Might have to try some of the halfords stuff, my 7 month old car is looking really badly stone chipped already :evil:

Foxy red said:

I took it to Honda in Guildford last summer when I bought the car. Never got a reply.

It was only a year old and the paint was more chipped than my 8 year old Seat Ibiza with 80K more miles on the clock :shock:

I found a rusting chiped area in my roof last month :shock: , so I've treated it with a 5 part paint kit from Halfords.

I can definitley recommend it!. You get a buffer to remove the rust, a primer paint, paint the perfect shade for the Honda satin silver, a laqur to finish and a buffer to sand it down to finish. The paints have a tiny paintbrush or a pin point tip to touch up with.

the bubble is spreading id loose alot of paint about a 1cm square most prob

im determined to get honda on this

it wont cost me that much to get repaired but i realy dont like the way honda are being about it

im waiting on a reply from honda, if no joy
off to trading standards, if no joy
i will get a second opinion then off to court we go

as the warranty isnt worth the paper its written on for paintwork

Shonk said:
Foxy red said:

the bubble is spreading id loose alot of paint about a 1cm square most prob

im determined to get honda on this

it wont cost me that much to get repaired but i realy dont like the way honda are being about it

im waiting on a reply from honda, if no joy
off to trading standards, if no joy
i will get a second opinion then off to court we go

as the warranty isnt worth the paper its written on for paintwork

Whats the cause of the rust on your roof?? Is it a stone chip??

Back