• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Paintwork advice please

Done a quick search but havnt found quite what i was after.
Basically ive got a NHB EP3 and its got the usual stone chips, a few deep scratches and showing signs of the dreaded fade in just a couple of small areas on the bumpers.
I dont know if getting it mopped is the right choice or if a proffesional car detailer would get better results.

What do you think?

Try a detailer i had my car done about 3 months ago and you could see the difference. it makes.

If you get it mopped, you'll only regret it when you see all the holograms in the paintwork when its in direct sunlight. :rolleyes:

A detailer will refine the finish so the reflection is as crystal clear as it can be. Pity you're not a bit closer to Notts/Lincs area, I'd do it for you.

Wifes car looked like this

DSC_0019.jpg

Now looks like this

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

:D

wow! thats really impressive!
it would be worth the drive up to be honest!
Whats involved in a proper detail then? it must be much more than just a normal valet to get a finish like that.

much much more work than a normal tesco valet :p
I need mine done too, its got all sorts of marring. holgrams, swirls :(
That mitsubishi looks amazing.....

wow! thats really impressive!
it would be worth the drive up to be honest!
Whats involved in a proper detail then? it must be much more than just a normal valet to get a finish like that.

Cheers Jon.

For starters, a good pre-wash with snow foam, de-greaser, tar remover.
Rinse then shampoo, followed by claying the whole of the car to remove surface roughness, bug remains, industrial fall-out, tree sap etc. Rinse again.
Paint correction performed to remove swirl marks, random scratches, surface oxidisation etc with a range of polishes varying in cut.
Then paintwork cleansed ready for application of sealants or waxes.
Wheels would be cleaned, clayed, polished and sealed. Door shuts de-greased and waxed. Engine detailed, all plastic trim protected. Interior cleaned and plastics dressed with UV protectant.

The list goes on. ;)

You basically end up getting your car returned in as good condition as when it left the showroom [sometimes better:rolleyes:]. You're obviously going to get some scratches that wont come out, and detailing doesnt address parking dings and dents. But in the main - you get something that you can 'maintain' quite easily.
A good wash routine with decent products and a monthly top up of wax should mean you'd maybe only need a light machine polish within the next year.

Hope that helps.

How much would it be for someone to do a good detail?

Depends whether you want interior and engine doing.

Looking around £75 to £100 as a rough estimate for the paintwork. All depends on time really and how bad it is to start with. That said i did an Audi TT a few weeks ago mates rates for £90 all in, including engine and interior. ;)

You'd probably be looking at £175 - £225 for a pro detailer to do it.

I reckon it is worth paying for a correction :) It transforms the car to how it was when it came out of the showroom.

guy near me quoted me £475 for full exterior detail or £396 for is executive valet in & out which included machine polish but not as good as the detail.

whats involved in a mop then?

sounds like a full detail will definately be on the cards, especially when ive got whote wheels!

whats involved in a mop then?

sounds like a full detail will definately be on the cards, especially when ive got whote wheels!

A 'mop' is usually an all over machine polish with a rotary polisher. If used incorrectly, can remove a lot of clear coat, and if care not taken to refine the polish, can leave holograms and buffer trails.

That said, a rotary m/c polish when done properly can make a big job a lot faster.

If someone says they will 'mop' the car, I'd prefer to go with the guy that says I'll 'detail' your car.

guy near me quoted me £475 for full exterior detail or £396 for is executive valet in & out which included machine polish but not as good as the detail.

He's bending you over there Chris :eek:

Thats A LOT.

Jesus, for that much I'd drive down and do it for you. :lol:
Sounds expensive, I'd certainly be wanting to check out his credentials and previous work for that price. Thats real pro pricing.

Have you checked out www.detailingworld.co.uk?

A lot of people wouldn't notice the difference between an 'enhance' detail, and full correction. Especially on the CTR's as the paint is so thin.

I usually do these at £80 ish.

Includes machine polishing with lime prime original.

A lot of people wouldn't notice the difference between an 'enhance' detail, and full correction. Especially on the CTR's as the paint is so thin.

I usually do these at £80 ish.

Includes machine polishing with lime prime original.

Good price that Joe. Like you say, especially on Satin Silver, the difference between enhance and correction would be the price.;)

Black, though, I'd say different matter altogether. Just got to make sure the client keeps it well maintained.

Back