• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Partyvan's 270bhp N/A track slut

Really lovely track attack mobile you have there don't usually take much notice to Ep3's but it caught my eye.

What's your plans for it? Got any track days coming up?

-Gem

So, the V5 for the Honda finally came back to me. I can now legally R8PE U
20160113_154425_zpswrjiosyo.jpg

20160113_154511_zpso9bl3fqt.jpg

I'm also mid way through the re-wire of the starter, alternator, fuse box etc :)

I somehow only just saw these replies, sorry guys

Class thread mate. Also run a cammed civic and a avant for daily. Great combo !

270bhp is good, mines at 260 with the TDI cams. I wonder if the 3" exhaust is the only difference.

Absolutely laughing my head of at the girl with the Nazi tattoo!

Some great parts and bits you've added here.

I'm especially interested in the gauge pods in the centre console. May I ask where you got them from ? Gauge advice would be nice also !

Great work and hopefully I will see this at a trackday soon!

Cheers! I aim to inform and offend!

I'm told I might have higher comp pistons fitted, that's something I need to check! To be honest the power makes very little difference compared to weight, brakes, tyres or geo. Don't obsess over it.

The pods are from eBay, it's one single strip with 3x 52mm holes on an angle.

Cheapest UK one I could find (can get cheaper from China)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triple-52...456445?hash=item33af6c837d:g:3swAAOSw5VFWQK0y

As for gauges, oil pressure and temperature are the key. I chose Stack because they'd look good in any car so I can take them with me if even I break it.

Really lovely track attack mobile you have there don't usually take much notice to Ep3's but it caught my eye.

What's your plans for it? Got any track days coming up?

-Gem

Thanks! I'm on track in April at Cadwell Park, trying to beat my lap record. Ditto for the 'Ring in May. I'd also like to do Oulton Park again in the summer!

Plans now are mainly cosmetic and tidying bits up on it. The standard of build is patchy. Things like wires not being secured etc.

Then next winter I have a provisional "phase 2" round of mods including potentially going to perspex windows, fibreglass doors and an S2000 cluster ;)

I love Cadwell! Such a good track have been on three times my third favourite, next to Spa and Nurburgring GP track.

Wires being secured that's nothing! I'm on the waiting list for a full cage atm, so trying to fit my track time and Germany around that!

Next winter mods are similar for me, although think I'll get race technology clocks, k20. Gonna get an afternoon at mimms in April I think, and Combe before that for a warm up. Hope to see you on track sometime!

Nice! That plate is cool!

I think this year will be more doing track days than buying parts for the car, my brother who I'm in this 50/50 with is expecting his first child anytime so we're aware time and money on his part won't be as flexible as me. But I've just passed my C+E so I'll be able to tow the car around myself.

I've taken some time out over the past couple of weeks to do some garage maintenance! This has consisted of re-stocking things like drill bits, fastenings, consumables etc

Also taken the time to re-finish the top of my workbench. I rescued this a couple of years ago and it was in such a state, the top surface was like an old railway sleeper! Solid, but uneven and caked in years worth of ****! So I've screwed a fresh sheet of ply to the top and painted it.

And added some edge trim aluminium and re-fitted the beast of a vice with M12 bolts and spreader plates.
20160126_215854_zpshv7feeit.jpg

Here you can also see the two of the three oddments drawers I have, which are size organised into nuts, washers, bolts, fuses etc. I've also been tidying the house attic and the garage attic to be much more organised.

It's getting there slowly! I've also put racking up for low value parts (high value stuff kept indoors), additional lighting etc. Next trick is to house my compressor under the workbench and get the upstairs lighting working again!

Oh nice! Makes working on the car much easier with the right tools and a decent workplace too!

Feels like I'm running in sand at the minute! Everything is such a struggle!

After ordering some new -AN fittings I managed to get the oil cooler pipes routed better (through the gearbox mount and over the gearbox, instead of over the cam cover.

Here they are. They aren't too close to the manifold (picture is deceptive)
20160209_132848_zpsf0nioasp.jpg

And through the mount
20160209_132901_zpse6ar2hb4.jpg

The sump is off too. It's pretty easy, although you need to drop the subframe to remove the pan itself.
20160209_133830_zpsxsge8nuf.jpg

Once off I degreased it with petrol and rags.

The plan is now to TIG weld in the baffle kit, like so...
sump%20baffle_zpsfyiib9w7.jpg

Next steps will be re-fitting the sump, oil cooler, rad, front end etc

Motivation is near zero!

Yeah sump isn't too bad but much easier if you have access to a ramp! I've fitted the drop-in baffles to both the road and track EP3's (I was tracking the road car at the time).

Small update time.

Sump is all baffled now
20160218_154643_zpsv1exny94.jpg

Primed
20160217_175010_zps7m7yozns.jpg

Painted
20160218_154536_zpsnfhujx0e.jpg

And refitted. Subframe is back on too with one new bolt (original had rounded)

I've finished plumbing in the oil cooler, so filled up with some fresh oil and added the gauge senders
20160219_151401_zps4mq6gykd.jpg

Here's the two gauge sender wires (black = pressure and red = temperature) alongside the meaty new battery cable for the relocated battery. All just being fed through the bulkhead grommet.
20160229_153507_zpslynmgh1w.jpg

You need 3 metres to do a battery relocation.

Here you can see I've got a catch tank in and fitted too
20160303_164909_zpseybgmwec.jpg

It's got some wire wool inside to help condense the oil vapour
20160303_160558_zpswz6ilhop.jpg

I've started the car, it starts fine so the battery wiring is good. I'll see next if I can drop down from a 200a fuse to a 170a fuse.

There's a couple of oil leaks which are the next issue to tackle - then it's tidying the wiring and tracing a couple of oil leaks on the new pipework!

Then hopefully ready for track next month and Ring in May :)

Little more progress today!

Got my fire extinguisher fitted. It sits in it's cage, riveted to the support bar behind the glovebox! It's nothing mega but might put out a small fire.
20160304_170854_zpsgdfstusa.jpg

I've also completely finished the wiring side of things! This insulated M8 post allows me to link together the cable running from the new battery location with the starter and alternator wiring. A common permanent live. It would also enable the car to be jump started off this point too.
busbar_zps3mnp9kxt.jpg

Here it is, riveted under where the battery tray normally goes. All the wiring has been crimped using the correct sized fixings. All it needs to finish is a nice rubber cap.
20160304_214644_zpsz210zlmj.jpg

So, before it's track ready I now need to
- Sort minor leaks from oil cooler pipework
- Refit rad and front bumper
- Fit front bumper
- Refit seats
- Fit sunstrip
- Check pad depths, rotate tyres

Getting there :)

Couple more niggly jobs done! First off I found a good way of mounting my new Go Pro to the rollcage. It was only a few quid off eBay! I've also hard-wired in a battery delete kit for the camera, meaning it's always got power.
20160110_133825_zpsyu2qha6i.jpg

Next up I've had a problem with the glow from the rear lights when driving at night. Because the car is stripped out, it lights up the interior!

So I took some thick black carpet and an eyelet tool
20160305_135751_zpszkzaqvkb.jpg

Punched brass eyelets into three corners of the fabric
20160305_135909_zpsatqypypl.jpg

Then pop riveted the three corners into the inside of the car, to cover the rear light cluster
20160305_141038_zpsqnwdcscx.jpg

The fourth corner has velcro on it, to allow access to the bulbs. Works a treat :)

IT'S ALIVE!!!

DSCN1415_zpsyslio8rg.jpg

DSCN1417_zpsz5gghlzp.jpg

After a brief problem with an erratic idle (cured by taking it for a spin) it's ALIVE!!!

- No leaks
- Engine pulls cleanly and strong
- Epic sound from carbon airbox!

Niggles
- People giving me abuse over the reg plate!!
- 1x headlight not working
- Bonnet release not working

IM SO HAPPY!!!

Roll on Cadwell Park and Nurburgring!

Nothing personal mate but do you R8PE?

Haha no :) I do however hate political correctness and feminazis!

Anyhoo I took her out again today for a bit of a run. Stopped off at the scrapyard, out of curiosity.

Onto the weighbridge (exhaust scraping all the way)
weighbridge1_zpsxsxejjjg.jpg

From a weight perspective...

Things I have removed/changed:

All seats > Pair of carbon fibre seats
OEM battery > Lightweight battery
OEM bonnet > Carbon bonnet
OEM iron calipers > Billet alloy calipers
Aircon
Speakers

Things I have added:
Full cage

It's 1140kg with a brimmed fuel tank, so 1091kg without fuel.
weighbridge2_zps4rzcbfgz.jpg

I reckon I can easily save another 20kg in sound deadening, rear wiper motor, side impact bars and central locking gubbins.

If I do keep it long term I'm looking at Pesch motorsport fibreglass doors and tailgate with perspex windows for a further 40-50kg saving there.

Only other thing I did was add a fresh sunstrip. I'll add text or a logo to it next :)
sunstrip_zpsmevzf7qm.jpg

More tomorrow hopefully!

wtf lol mine weighs about 1050kg mate i really have gone mental with the weight saving plus my dash and door cards are coming out next week and alot more im really hoping for a Ton. will get a pic of my scales from work

wtf lol mine weighs about 1050kg mate i really have gone mental with the weight saving plus my dash and door cards are coming out next week and alot more im really hoping for a Ton. will get a pic of my scales from work

Have you gotten any good weigh out of the doors themselves, or behind the dash?

Today consisted of "pre-track testing". Goals were to evaluate the brakes, tyres and identify any niggles

I started the test just a few miles outside of Manchester. Funny how quickly you go from a built up city like Stockport to this...
manc%20hills_zpscfiiql3b.jpg

manc%20hills2_zpszfnlg0pp.jpg

And on to Curbar edge in the Peak district
curbar3_zps1znoeube.jpg

curbar2_zpsbonecwnq.jpg

Roads were nice and empty :)
clear%20road_zpsdd3bagzi.jpg

I've got some good feedback from the car and some ideas of what to work on before Cadwell and the Ring :)

No major issues to report.

Nice coming on well there.
you can Shed 10kg in the heater matrix etc and replace with a light weight heater

Back