• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Partyvan's 270bhp N/A track slut

Please take what I'm about to write with a pinch of salt and not a personal attack. I'll freely admit (and I've put it on YouTube) that I've made mistakes and will continue to, like my spin down Paddock Hill bend at Brands where I overcorrected twice and spun. I was lucky to keep it out of the barriers.

It it seems to me that crash was of your own making, you had negotiated the hardest part of SB SS which in my opinion is the small bump/jump which makes the car go light. The video seems to show that you run over the kerb whilst having neutral throttle ish. There wasn't any weight on the rear when you should of been flat and that would of kept the the weight transfer to the rear. With that much lateral load and an inside wheel on a kerb it is going to cause problems. When the slide initiated no doubt you countered but you can hear the revs drop so you didn't plant your foot and drive through the slide which would of saved you with your LSD with that much momentum.

Once the car hit the rumble strips on the left with that angle you had no chance.

What I am saying is that imo you should fix her and get back on the horse. I've followed your thread and you made a gleaming car and it would be a waste to give in now.

You made a mistake (and I promise I'm not trying to be a dick about it) learn and get that sub 8.

It will happen to me. I always think before I go to the 'ring about a quote Mark Webber said once after a crash- 'You race cars mate, you'll crash cars'. That may be paraphrased but you get the point without trying to sound patronising about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Majority of the times I avoid the kerbs at the Nordschleife. Some of them are very steep and can throw you off line. Which what looks like what happened in the video. I always attack that part flat out throttle and avoid the kerbs. Gangrel has some valid points as well which I'll agree with. We all make mistakes and sometimes with a crash like that which catches you out it's hard to think and react quick enough. At the end of the day we're only amateurs compared to racing drivers.
Personally if I was you, I'd probably buy a new clean shell and build the chassis like a race car. Gutted, caged and seam welded. Either way get it back on the road and back on track!

Thanks for the input guys, there is a lot more to this crash than you can gather from a video. I can't really say any more for legal reasons - but it's not a simple cause. There are many factors at play here.

I hope in the future I can be a bit more open about this!

Update time, sorry for the delay. I've been thinking and have decided to

FIX THE FECKER :cool:

I have a spare type-R here, so I started by stripping the wishbones off that and pressing the bushes out
20160704_212805_zpsmjvkiu8d.jpg

Annoyingly only the rubbers came out, leaving a metal collar in them. I hacksawed two grooves into this, then punched a section out and prized out the remainder.

All stripped down
20160704_213057_zps3obcddat.jpg

Back from the powdercoaters
20160719_143130_zps0wclgmck.jpg

I ordered a set of these, that give a slight increase in caster with eccentric bushes.
superpro_zpsbc5nbblx.jpg

They are easy enough to press in. For correct caster alignment you have to line them up to a certain angle. They were simple to press in with just a vice and the supplied assembly lube.
20160719_143737_zps91yh0jmp.jpg

I took the time to refurb the steering arms too, here they are primed. They have since been done gloss black.
20160704_221936_zpspt81aind.jpg

I'd also previously sourced some roll centre adjusters
buddyclub%20rca_zpszy8wqo52.jpg

To add to this, whilst everything is apart I've gone for a couple of steering rack upgrades. Firstly this solid brass rack slider from Project K. It replaces an OEM plastic item which is flexible and prone to failure
rack%20slider_zps7od0yjq2.jpg

Secondly, coming off the rack is this bracket which relocates the steering arms higher, to correct their angle and reduce bump steer.
rack%20raiser_zpskj4yrdxl.jpg

Here's the collection of bits ready to go on. I've had 2 damaged wheels checked for buckles and refurbished as well, and got the subframe powdercoated to match the arms.
20160719_152632_zps9qnvhisf.jpg

20160719_152530_zpsrzmuyner.jpg

Also in the mix are these subframe locking collars, to correct the problem of the subframe holes being too big for the bolts (a rare flaw in the EP3!)
subframe%20issue_zpsedztycpe.jpg

subframe%20collars_zpsuabtmehc.jpg

Also in the collection are new droplinks and track rod ends for good measure

These parts represent everything I need for the mechanical repair, to a much higher spec than pre-accident. The suspension setup is now closer in spec to the engine and drivetrain and should see a good reduction in lap times. I'm hoping for a new Cadwell lap record in a couple of months!

Body wise I'm going to paint up the spare wing, but leave the rear quarter damage for a short while while I consider a local repair vs a full body respray.

In other areas I've gutted the doors of the looms, central locking, window regs and side impact bars.
20160717_164010_zpsewvpwqua.jpg

And trial fitted the plastic windows
20160717_164018_zpsx84nfduc.jpg

I'm just finalising how the windows are going to be mounted, and putting that into reality over the coming week or so.

On track again in 3 weeks :rolleyes: So I'll be running some basic health checks like pads, oil, fluids etc and getting a geometry setup.

Best crack on with it then!

My plastic windows have a bolt in the bottom centre that's attached to (something?!) on the inner skin of the door. Then tiger sealed all around the edges. They are pretty solid and don't leak at all....the rear quarters on the other hand have begun to leak!

My plastic windows have a bolt in the bottom centre that's attached to (something?!) on the inner skin of the door. Then tiger sealed all around the edges. They are pretty solid and don't leak at all....the rear quarters on the other hand have begun to leak!

Good shout on the tiger seal, I didn't even think of sealing the top and side edges!

Good choice of suspension mods. Very similar to my set up. Didn't fancy shortened steering arms to run silly front camber?

Good choice of suspension mods. Very similar to my set up. Didn't fancy shortened steering arms to run silly front camber?

Interesting, I wouldn't fancy too much as it is driven a bit on the road too. Tyre wear would be daft so I'll probably stay around 2-3 degrees

Sorry about the crash mate. One of my favourite parts of the Ring, though I always poo my pants in case something is slow the other side of the blind crest.

Interesting, I wouldn't fancy too much as it is driven a bit on the road too. Tyre wear would be daft so I'll probably stay around 2-3 degrees

Tyre wear isn't as bad as you think. You'll get worse tyre wear from a bit of toe out compared to 0 toe and lots of negative camber.
I'm driving to Germany with over -3 of camber :D

yeh ill agree, iv got front -2.2 camber and zero toe fr & rr and my tyres last well enough, the car handles neutral if anything some oversteer tendancy

Some more progress on the repairs!

Front polycarbs are in, finished and secured. I went with the original door cards as they really do weigh sod all. There's no electrics in the doors whatsoever, window motors, runners or central locking. Much better!
20160720_220830_zpspiux1igo.jpg

At some stage the whole car will need painting. For now, we rattlecan. I'm enjoying seeing the results, and learning from my mistakes. I've come a long way! Thanks to Benn for the help.
20160725_183001_zps86leqouc.jpg

Bent wing vs repainted spare. The new one is now fitted.
20160730_195457_zpsp5xjp3tj.jpg

Onto the mechanical repair, the subframe has been swapped for the powdercoated collared one
20160723_193426_zps9d216igq.jpg

Polybushed arms on with new droplinks
20160723_193447_zpsgpxblwfl.jpg

New steering arms, track rod ends, rack raiser and brass rack slider all fitted
20160730_175325_zpsoub8c5d3.jpg

Spotted some damage to the bottom of one of the coilovers
20160726_165516_zpsxze1lotj.jpg

Built it back up with washers and plenty of weld, having aligned the holes with a spare hub and some bolts to keep them square. It's not perfect, but probably stronger than ever.
20160726_181332_zps2ohke15z.jpg

So at this stage the car is about done except for
- Headlight wiring / fitting
- Front/rear engine mounts bolting to subframe
- Plastic rear quarter windows, surrounds painting on and fitting

Thanks mate :)

Little more done today...

There's a metal bracket under each headlight, the n/s was bent from the crash, so I took a pair off my donor car, wire wheeled them back to metal, primed and painted them
20160731_121009_zpsast8px8v.jpg

Here they are fitted. Also saved a few more grams by removing the airbag triggers from the same area
20160731_203954_zpsmi2wovom.jpg

Most of the lights work, annoyingly I'm one indicator down!
20160731_203737_zpsef0adsic.jpg

Rear quarter damage can stay for now, in case I bin it again at Donnington. Just a vinyl for now!
20160802_124104_zps6nqp9ulp.jpg

I've also been sorting out a surround for the rear polycarbs. First of all tried painting them on, with plastic primer, but there was a reaction. So out came the masking tape and a roll of vinyl!
20160801_151214_zpsmjlciyeg.jpg

20160801_154203_zpsschwzvxr.jpg

Vinyl is now on and dry. I've trimmed it back with a blade.

Now currently mid way through fitting the rear quarters, and my riveter is jammed! It's got to be geo'd before Monday evening!

Back