• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Piper

Danger200

Hi people

i have decided that i will start modding by making the car sound nice and then the other stuff when im richer.
basically i want to embrace the fact that this is a jap car and comsidered a slash cut exhaust, but then i have seen this:

http://www.pipercams.co.uk/exhaust/news.php?news_id=40

which i think the oval shape may fit the rear bumper recess better, does any one have this system or pics of this exhaust so i can compare them? also ive heard that they can stick out a bit and can hang quite low under the car, is this true?

a few owners on CTRO have bought these and are very happy with it, couple have also put up some vids up of thier cars with this exhaust system on youtube, il try dig them up and post them up.

Over all every ctr owner who has bought piper systems are happy with it, combined with the piper manifold and sports cat, it has proven +22bhp gain on cpl's dynos.

These systems were developed with ABP Motorsports IIRC, who know the EP3 very well.

Many would say don't buy it because it isn't JDM, even though all EP3s were made in Swindon :lol:

These systems were developed with ABP Motorsports IIRC, who know the EP3 very well.

Many would say don't buy it because it isn't JDM, even though all EP3s were made in Swindon :lol:
:lol: very true

Think the dyno reading from CPL says it all, it showed a brilliant gain of iIIRC 22BHP which is fantastic.

I have the standard manifold due to MOTs, the Piper sports cat could be just what I am looking for. Question is, what to have from the catback. I need a system that doesn't sit low, scrapes FTL, and that's on standard springs and Supersprint b-pipe.

Think the dyno reading from CPL says it all, it showed a brilliant gain of iIIRC 22BHP which is fantastic.

If the EP3 can gain 22bhp just from an exhaust system without a remap then there is a problem with the Dyno. CPL you say...

If the EP3 can gain 22bhp just from an exhaust system without a remap then there is a problem with the Dyno. CPL you say...

i very much doubt cpl's dyno are out by (22bhp lol) that much, tdi north and cpl dyno's are one of the most accurate dynos out there. CPL racing are also now piper dealers, to be exact piper manifold with a sports cat + iper cat-back system gave a gain of +21.9bhp +18.5lb/ft to standard CTR, seen dyno graph aswell of before and after but cant find it (well i cba looking for it), They didnt take the reading from one run, they took several runs. You could contact Guy at CPL to confirm if on doubt :-D.

edit found graph, near middle of page - http://www.pipercams.co.uk/exhaustshop/product_info.php?cPath=479_480&products_id=4395 .

Last edited by a moderator:
well i read someone had the full system, with hondata and CAI AEM and made 25bhp gain, but then again they cant claim that if its not true surely?!? also they say the standard CTR make 180odd bhp i think i read, so with their +22, i make that to be just over 200bhp. so maybe thats how they cover themselves, because i have allways thought it was at the wheels of 197bhp.
but like tuf said if people are happy with them then i shouldnt be making a bad decision buying one.
does the piper manifold not join to the standard cat? i was thinking doing cat back then, when i can afford it do manifold then sports cat

You can make a dyno read whatever you want it to if you know how to work it right.

However, to get away with it you have to withhold some of the figures, otherwise you can spot easily what's been done to massage it.

20 bhp from those mods.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't trust CPL changing my wheels yet alone believing their dyno figures.

As per any tuner, do your homework before choosing where to take your car :eek:

When i was looking to have my k100 tuned i was looking at tdi north, heard only good things about them, plus they arent too far from me which is a bonus.

manifold wise i played it safe and went for the dc-sports one which was cheap and have seen many ep3's with it on so it was tried and tested.

well....i have just discovered that my standard exhaust is blowing by the rear box. i fancy buying that piper system, which company would people recommend i buy it off?

the abp website isnt any help as i cant navigate it or see prices, the CPL website just says piper cat back with no pictures and piper are charging 40quid more for the system than both of them, i need help.

Funnily enough ABP have a phone, are members on here and also have email so i'm sure you could contact them somehow.

That's what I thought.

because i have allways thought it was at the wheels of 197bhp.

The CTR is 197bhp at the flywheel, not the wheels. Car manufacturers nearly always give the flywheel figure as it's higher therefore more impressive. The actual power you put down onto the road (i.e. through the wheels) is going to be somewhat less.

I'm currently trying to find a formula to try and work it out. I'm sure HASNIC will know.

BHP is a type of HP, it is the HP at the engine/crank itself. If you stick a car that makes 210bhp on a dyno, you will get a lower # like 180hp, because the dyno will tell the actual amount of HP making it to the wheels. You can lose a good 10%-20% of the crank HP in the drivetrain, etc... The difference between BHP and WHP

Brake horsepower: (BHP) A measurement of the actual usable power (not calculated power) measured at the output shaft (usually the crankshaft) rather than at the driveshaft or the wheels. Thus none of the auxiliaries (gearbox, generator, alternator, differential, water pump, etc.) are attached. It is called the brake horsepower because the shaft power is usually measured by an absorption dynamometer or "brake." This is not the brake on the vehicle's wheels but a testing device applied to the shaft. This instrument is applied to stop or absorb the rotation of the output shaft and returns a value.

SAE horsepower: A simple formula of long standing is used to determine horsepower. The formula is: (bore diameter) squared times (number of cylinders) divided by 2.5. This formula is used primarily for licensing purposes and is not very accurate for determining actual brake horsepower. Also called rated horsepower.

SAE net horsepower: The brake power (power available at the flywheel or output shaft -- usually the crankshaft) of a fully equipped engine fitted with all the accessories necessary to perform its intended functions unaided. In 1973, automobile manufacturers began publishing their engine specifications in "net" horsepower and "net" torque instead of "gross" figures. In many cases the published numbers were significantly lower in 1973 than in 1972. Some of the decrease was attributed to the addition of pollution equipment, the lowering of compression, and the use of regular unleaded gasoline instead of premium leaded fuel. However most of the decrease in number was a switch to "net" figures.

SAE gross horsepower: A production engine's actual power available at the flywheel or output shaft (usually crankshaft) as tested with an absorption dynamometer. It differs from SAE net horsepower in that many of the accessories (such as alternator, water pump, etc.) are not attached. Engines before 1973 were primarily measured with these "gross" numbers. Since 1973, "net" figures were published. This confusion caused many people to suppose that their engine had been seriously de-tuned when they saw that the same engine in 1972 had 400 hp but in 1973 had only 235 hp. (This example is from the Cadillac 500 cubic inch engine).

Interesting.

Back