• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Please help with endless issues

Hi all I hope someone can help me out with any advice.

I bought a brand new Honda Civic Type R FK2 a few weeks ago. On the second day of ownership the check engine light came on. I took the car to Honda and they said the error was a faulty turbo bypass valve. They first decided to crimp the cables as it may be that. The light was still on, they then ordered a new solenoid / bypass valve which took forever to arrive. While I was waiting the car would drive normally, every now and then though there was no boost. I could hear the air escaping and not building and the car would not boost above 0.3 bar.

As the days went by it started getting worse. There were times where the car wouldn't boost at all, I could just hear the air whistling as soon as the turbo started spooling and no power. Eventually the valve arrived and I went to have it fitted today. They test drove it and the light came back on. They now tell me it may be the ECU at fault and they need to order a new one. They told me that is the 3rd option that the system gives them after checking the cables and the valve. My concern is that it's not the ecu, I don't understand how it could be as the problem got progressively worse, with the car working fine at times and then no boost.

I would love to hear the opinion of someone that knows their stuff.

The car is now not boosting at all. I need to drive so slowly and push the throttle so softly or the car just whistles and goes nowhere.

Thanks for your time

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Hi mate.
Sorry to hear of your troubles with your FK2.
The only thing i can suggest to you is to maybe get hold of Phil at Dream and see if he would have some sort of idea.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just let the dealership throw parts at it. All covered under manufactures warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, it just makes me mad that it's a new car with this issue and they don't really know what the issue is, and I have to go back and forth while the dealers just try different options. Doing my research I can't seem to find anyone with similar issues, I just hope it's not going to give me ongoing problems as I really love the car. Also I can't drive it to hard because 0 boost, it's really hard to get up to speed as well.

Thanks guys, it just makes me mad that it's a new car with this issue and they don't really know what the issue is, and I have to go back and forth while the dealers just try different options. Doing my research I can't seem to find anyone with similar issues, I just hope it's not going to give me ongoing problems as I really love the car. Also I can't drive it to hard because 0 boost, it's really hard to get up to speed as well.
They shouldn’t be letting you take the car away if it’s that bad and you should be kept in a courtesy vehicle while the repairs are being carried out.

They shouldn’t be letting you take the car away if it’s that bad and you should be kept in a courtesy vehicle while the repairs are being carried out.
You would think so, I've only had the car for a month. I am not in the UK however, service this side isn't as good.

If it's making boost, but not providing it to the engine, then there's an escape of the pressure somewhere. I'd tell them to do a Leak Down test first, this will prove any boost leaks. It sounds almost like the wastegate is opening way too early, and just dumping all the boost out.

If it's making boost, but not providing it to the engine, then there's an escape of the pressure somewhere. I'd tell them to do a Leak Down test first, this will prove any boost leaks. It sounds almost like the wastegate is opening way too early, and just dumping all the boost out.
Thank you for the advice. Yes I can hear the boost escaping, and at times, it will actually build and drive fine. I will ask them to do that test. I doubt it's the ecu tbh.

I just remember an owner who suffered warnings and poor performance because he put his pipercross air filter in backwards, was wondering if you had swapped them

Thank you for the advice. Yes I can hear the boost escaping, and at times, it will actually build and drive fine. I will ask them to do that test. I doubt it's the ecu tbh.

No worries bud. Keep us up to date with this as I’d like to see what is going on. Best of luck with it all ;)

Is the wastegate electronically controlled on the FK2?

Either way, hand it to the dealers and tell them you don't want it back till it's fixed, with them providing a car while it's with them.

Chris is right bud. Hand the car back to the dealer. It has been sold to you not fit for purpose, and as such comes under your country's Sales Act. They have an obligation to sort out all of these issues and luckily for you, it’s a legal one, meaning you have the upper hand here.

I remember when i bought a Megane (the one with the weird booty), i had one of the very first ones with every optional extra.
It was riddled with suspension knocking issues. After 2 months and 4 attempts at fixing it i naturally kicked up a massive fuss.

When Renault offered me a 1.0 Clio as a courtesy car i'd had enough and insisted on something of equal quality :lol: to drive. They said fine, what did i want, i said, what's the manager drive i'll take that. And i did, his 3.0 V6 Laguna. Which i thrashed for a week.

Funny how they can fix things quicker when the manager is inconvenienced.

Just a thought.

I remember when i bought a Megane (the one with the weird booty), i had one of the very first ones with every optional extra.
It was riddled with suspension knocking issues. After 2 months and 4 attempts at fixing it i naturally kicked up a massive fuss.

When Renault offered me a 1.0 Clio as a courtesy car i'd had enough and insisted on something of equal quality to drive. They said fine, what did i want, i said, what's the manager drive i'll take that. And i did, his 3.0 V6 Laguna. Which i thrashed for a week.

Funny how they can fix things quicker when the manager is inconvenienced.

Just a thought.
Hahaha now that's a plan right there. They're collecting my car tomorrow from my house to try and check all the wire looms, as stated above that seems to be a known issue. I'll then request a courtesy car and see what I can do.

Chris is right bud. Hand the car back to the dealer. It has been sold to you not fit for purpose, and as such comes under your country's Sales Act. They have an obligation to sort out all of these issues and luckily for you, it’s a legal one, meaning you have the upper hand here.

Thanks guys, I will do just that. Will be sad to see my car go for a while. Hopefully I get a decent rental car and take it from there. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Back