• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Pre-facelift Bumper

Guys,

Just about to order one off of Lings; just a quick check - to see if I covered all bases before I do.

I have all of the original clips, screws and bolts from my exisiting Face-lift set-up.

Bumper definitely fits - Check.

I don't have fog-lights, is this something to consider/an issue when ordering a new bumper? The facelift looks as if it's a case of cutting where needed, and if needed for fogs. Not sure about pre-face.

I also notice that there are a few small, rectangular, blanking plates in the lower half of the bumper as well - about the size of king-size Rizla packets; right in the middle 'in the gap' of the lip beneath the number plate/bumper. I have also seen that these differ from car to car, is this something I need to work out before ordering?

Thanks in advance, and the 'thanks button' beckons for your assitance also.

Sun

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove all of the rizla sized blanking plates.
(It's a lot easier to do this before you put the bumper on... trust me :lol:)

Remove all of the rizla sized blanking plates.
(It's a lot easier before you put the bumper on... trust me :lol:)

Cheers, so they aren't mandatory mate?

Do you know what their purpose is - just a case of protecting the condensor? (Just hazarding a guess/thinking through my fingers etc.)

The rectangular banks in the lower grille are supposed to be removed on cars with AC. ;)

Whilst this is being spoken about, at some point my front bumper will be coming off to fit my air intake, is it worth me removing these plates? Do they serve a purpose on a non-AC car? Am thinking that they push air up to the higher section of the radiator or is this not the case? (Excuse the thread theft Sunny, but thought it best than starting a new thread hehe)

If it's non-AC, and they (the blanking plates) only serve the purpose that Neily's mentioned, then I'm inclined to believe it'd be irrelevant - I'd probably keep 'em in situ, to protect the radiator that sits around that area, albeit slightly higher up IIRC.

Re: thread-jacking. Minor. :)

Ah ok, wasn't sure whether there was anything behind that area etc, but Murph who had the same intake as me has stated in his how-to guide to remove these plates and just wanted to be sure. I'd assume that more air would get to the bottom of the radiator but not to the top section....? :?

Dude, I'm not sure mate - as I've got my condensor for the A/C immediately behind those blanking plates; never really looked into it either too.

I've had a big ol' flashback to 2002 when the blanking plates were discussed and the impact of their removal. :lol:

Anyway, my two British Sterling pennies; I removed the blanking plates then meshed the whole of the gap with some metal mesh to stop the road shrapnel from having a go at the radiator. I tried to fix it with glue but that was a bust so used zip-ties to the black framework. It is still going strong and the amount it has caught like leaves, cig' ends, insects and stones makes the effort worthwhile. :)

Hi guys,

Does anyone know, or able to clarify, whether the inner front wheel arch trim(s) that fit inside the bumper differ from Pre-Face to Facelift.

I've fitted a Pre-Face bumper today on my factory facelift EP3, and whilst most of it aligns up tidily, it feels as if the bottom corners that become the wheel arches effectively, do not clip to the bumper the way one would expect (and joins the facelift consequently). The undertray lines up neatly, with the splash guard and the frame - but the corners where the arches should join the bumper and the splash guard/undertray sit a good couple inches lower than the bumper.

Any clarification would be fcking awesome. Thanks

I can take a pic if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back