• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Preface EP3 Civic Type R : Replace Front Bumper, grille, Splitter

Pre Facelift EP3 Front Bumper / Grille / Splitter Removal

Tools:
Flat Head Screw Driver
Phillips Screwdriver
10mm Socket

Firstly, I would reccomend turning the wheels all the way to one side, and jacking up the front end slightly (Doesn't matter if not), just gives a bit more room.

Also lay a large rug down in front of the bumper for when it comes off.

The top row of clips need removing for the bumper, and the bottom row, for the grille.

DSCF3706640x480.jpg

To remove them, slide a flat head into the clip and release up.

DSCF3707640x480.jpg

DSCF3708640x480.jpg

Next there are four underneath the bumper, exactly the same as the top.

DSCF3709640x480.jpg

DSCF3710640x480.jpg

There is a screw in each arch, where the bumper meets the wing, remove this on both sides.
You may also have a phillips screw underneath, where the tray meets the bumper.

Once removed, you can pry the bumper out of the corners.

DSCF3712640x480.jpg

Note where the fixings are, as you will need to bear this in mind for re fitting.

DSCF3713640x480.jpg

Four screws now hold in the grille (at the bottom),

DSCF3716640x480.jpg

To remove the splitter, firstly take the screws out at each end

DSCF3717640x480.jpg

and then the four (slightly tight) bolts (10mm) from the splitter

DSCF3718640x480.jpg

DSCF3719640x480.jpg

Then there are four more screws holding on the splitter

DSCF3720640x480.jpg

And that is that!

When replacing the splitter (fffffuuu). I would do the 4 bolts first. You will have to give it some stretch, as you want the splitter on tight with no gaps. Get them 50% tight (do the middle ones first), then go round and tighten them up.

With the screws at the end, do the HIGHEST one first, the bottom one will look way out, but pull it over and it will fit fine.

Bumper replacement is rather simple, hook it on the top, then gently ease it in at the edges. Replace all clips / screws. Winning.
DSCF3721640x480.jpg

DSCF3722640x480.jpg

im not meaning to but a downer on anything as is a really good guide, but is the bumper a slightly different silver?

No worries Jord. The car is parked in front of a white garage. So that's why it looks a different shade. In reality it is pretty much spot on.

Lol non at all mate - the above pic shows it quite nastily. The colour will vary slightly being plastic/metal. But it's not noticeable to the eye in reality.

DSCF3729640x480.jpg

this the pre-facelift model yeah? So the bumper and grill are one piece? I have just bought a mugen copy grill, i understand it maybe a crap fit but im struggling to see how its meant to fit at all. Im certain that the guy i bought it from said it would fit a pre facelift.

Yeah it is preface (see title). The black grille comes away from the bumper, I assume the Mugen one just slots in its place.

You will need to remove the bumper yes, as the bottom 4 bolts are located inside the bumper.

i thought so but click this link here. Its a guy selling aftermarket mugen copy grills, there is a step by step guide on fitment and it doesnt show anything about removing the front bumper??
Can you have a look and see what you think?
Cheers

you can remove the grill without taking the bumper off.......tis abit tricky though.

Nice write up Joe:cool: i will be using this guide in a few weeks when i attempt the facelift headlight conversion

that guide is for facelift version, where the grill comes off easy

did you fit your facelift headlights civic2fast4u?

Back