• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Problems with EP3 - Advice needed :)

Hi guys,

After a little advice with regards to my 04 CTR (had for around3.5/4 weeks) which I purchased from springfield Honda in Newcastle. The car is booked in on the 21st of this month to have the gearbox and suspension looked at, they will have the car for a week!.

Gearbox: Has trouble going into second gear when cold(common issue?) also funny grinding noise when engine braking and a very 'whiney' reverse (not sure if this is normal or not) Garage said they will strip the box down and look at it.

Suspension: Knocking when I pull onto my drive or go over a bumpyish road and a thud/'dunk' noise when the sus is at full/half extension IE going over speed bumps, a dip in the road or going down a multistory car park (not sure if this makes sense!)
Garage had a look at this when they had the car back for its full MOT and they tightened the top mounts but this didn't resolve the issue.

Should I be expected to pay for any of this? as mentioned i've only had the car 3.5 to 4 weeks. I didnt notice any of these problems when I took the car out for a the test drive, but the dealer has been made aware of the problems sinc eI noticed them (3-4days of owning car) but they told me I couldn't book the car in untill the warranty came into effect :confused: which I would have assumed would have been from the day I bought it but there you go!

I've contacted the finance company who can offer advice and 'lean' on the stealer if i'm not happy with the work. I'm actually tempted to hand the keys back but im not sure where I stand with regards to this??

Sorry for the long winded post and I hope it makes sense, any advice would be appriciated!

Thanks,

Chris

P.S sorry if any one slips into a coma whilst reading this.....:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2nd gear feels a but stiff when cold but after a short drive becomes like the rest of the gears and is no trouble at all.

As noted so far, the second gear issue is well documented. My gears rifle-bolt their way through the 'box when warm - cold days are a patient affair.

Reverse gear is a dog gear - noisy and whiney with it too.

For the suspension - I take it it is all standard? Spoon springs have been known to rotate and settle in the units. Are your springs secure and not just twisting around the shock? Garage job for a looky. ;)

Ask when the warrenty starts then rinse them for everything; i.e, peek behind the rubber door seals for rust and corrosion on the alloys. ;)

Cheers guys,

I was always told the springs were totally standard so i'm covered on that front. I've got a list of little picky things which i'm going to push for, like the drivers seatbelt won't retract properly now things like that.

I just always worry i've bought a dog of a car, despite my best efforts not too ;)

I've always praised the servicing guys at Springfield Newcastle so let me know how you get on.

dragonflyjade has mentioned some of the most common faults with the EP3 and we've own ours for the longest ;)

My 2nd gear is sometimes hard to get in but i've never had this fixed done and seems fine to me after being warmed up so never bothered with it getting sorted, but then again, my warrenty ran out ages ago and i can live with it.

The only thing i've ever had warrenty work done in the 5yrs 8 months i've owned mine is the rear alignment problem and the pre-face lift alarm board.

Pav is spot on and so are the senior mechanics- Alan and Trevor. I know my car is left in safe hands :cool:

Gary

Yeah Pav was great when I spoke to him, couldn't be more helpful. I've just had a bad expirience with Ford before and am weary of dealers ;)

I know Honda have a much better reputation :cool:

but they told me I couldn't book the car in untill the warranty came into effect :confused: which I would have assumed would have been from the day I bought it but there you go!

There saying this because if there is a prob the dealership would have to foot the bill because warranty would reject paying the cost. reason being is the warranty would say they have sold a car that is not in a fit state so why should they pay for it. Its pretty bad what the dealership have done there and there only doing it to save money. You should of insisted that the car was looked at and fix straight away.

i had similar knocking on suspension after 3 days looking for a fault that i could not find:mad: i found that the Honda fitted speaker upgrade when new has crossovers for the tweaters and in the rear the crossover is double sided taped to the rear panel behind the rear speaker. Long story short it had come unstuck and was sliding around and bouncing when going over bumps hence the knock. So if you have tweaters well worth a look;). I used a cable tie to fasten the crossover as this will not come unstuck.

Must say that even so this was very hard to find i was relived in the end as i was expecting a stupid repair bill as i could not find any problem with suspension so was thinking the worst

You should of insisted that the car was looked at and fix straight away.

Yes I should have done really. But i've told them about things from day one (well three ;)) so they know about it.
Either way Honda are 10 times better than Ford ;)

Cheers for all the input guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've jsut spoken to Pav from the service department and the car currently has no gearbox! Engineer from the warranty company has been out and configmed that one of the synchro's (sp) is damaged along with a bearing. Honda just waiting for the OK from them to claim on warranty, if not the sales department will have to foot the bill! :)

Just waiting to hear back about the oil leak and the sus, still hoping to get it back for Friday. Kinda lost with out it, my legs don't have Vtec! :( :p

Can this gearbox fix only be done on car's under warrenty.
Or is this effectively a free ticket to an overhauled gearbox? on any year, perticularly '02 plate like mine?

ive got an issue with my 54 plate civic, when i accelerate at low revs in say second doing 15 it will make a grinding sound but when i get faster the sound goes away and when i press the clutch down the sound goes away also helpppp!!!!

Back