• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

rattle/knoking over rough road tarmac or pot holes

There was play in one of the track rods so I changed them but still have this noise. I don't expect silent as the car is quite a hard ride anyway but I just want to stiffen everything up and get rid of any slack

Mines been in garage again still can't find any thing wrong still knocking and rattles , I have change both drop links said bushes have no play :( annoying

It's an annoying problem as the roads are quite bumpy where I live so it constantly knocks and rattles and does my head in. Takes the fun out of driving it to be honest. I've had it up on my mates lift at his garage and still can't find anything wrong with it. All the usual things that can rattle and knock I've already changed. It can only be bushes or something to do with the steering rack possibly in my opinion but wouldn't know how to tell if the steering rack is worn or causing the knocking.

i'm thinking new shock but its Fine over speed bumps etc , don't want to waste a 150-200 bill , part + labour to find out the noise is still there , the noise is horrendous [FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]on rough roads[/FONT]

Will do mate. I'll let you know if I ever get rid of this noise. My shocks are
brand new so my noise definitely isn't to do with shocks.

I had a similar problem,I have changed slider and still had knock on pot holes..

then I tighten nut on steering rack and no knock any more..:)

Mine was a loose caliper, which the garage missed, after I explicitly told them that they had been changed in the past two months.

Never using a garage for something I can do myself ever again.

Plus side is I have some low mileage shocks as spares.

[video=youtube;3n4VOQFJNms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4VOQFJNms&feature=youtu.be[/video] 1.00 min onwards

The more I read, I'm starting to think its top suspension mounts, if the bolt thing on the steering rack does not work?

It's definitely not top mounts on mine as I bought and fitted brand new had coil overs so the top mounts are brand new. That's what's annoying me because I've near enough changed all wear and tear parts. Only thing left to do is fully poly bush the car and look into this steering rack a bit more.

This is a tough one really as everyone's could be different, even *** alot of people know what your talking about.
the only solutions iv heard of are the bolt on the rack or replacing top mounts.
Seeing as iv nearly renew everything too- I'm wondering if over tightening nuts and bolts could cause this and needs to be tightened to the correct speaification(like ARB,staberlisers, calipers or something lol )
I got alot of noise's when my drivers engine mount failed,and I'm thinking it could be worth takeing some time to closely examine the rest of the mounts , I know some are in hard area where you carnt see much.
If you find out before somone else does let us all know !!

Will do mate. I'll keep you guys updated if I figure it out. Like you say though there's loads of things it could be so everyone could have a different problem and it's just figuring out what part is to blame as I've changed most already. All my mounts have had the energy poly bush inserts fitted so they should be alright but I'll still have a check just incase.

After bolting on a new clutch this weekend I found me front subframe/ engine mount was knacked and am sure this is causing alot of noises. You carnt really tell unless you remove the mount that it's split all the way through.

I did think the engine mounts could cause some knocking if there worn but mine has the polybush inserts fitted so I assume there ok. I have just ordered the full polybush kit and am going to get that fitted in the next week or 2 so will let you know if that cures any of the knocks I'm having.

Think I've pretty much sorted my knocking sound when I go over bumps. I've just bought a full poly bush kit and was fitting the front anti roll bar bushes and grabbed the anti roll bar and it had play in it on the drop link passenger side. I bought and fitted new drop links about 6 months ago and thought I had tightened them all up correctly but this one was quite done up all the way causing a bit of play and knocking.

Back