• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

red type r body repair

hi all i dont know if any one can help me my car was parked out side my house and a bus has scraped the rear bumper and arch the bus company have put there hands up are totally to blame the issue is that i have taken it to two repair shops and they can only feather the paint they cannot match it so the quarter panel will be a different colour to the rest of the car so i am not happy so i was hoping some one can tell me where i stand and what to do many thanks shaun

Find a better bodyshop, doesn't matter how much it costs as the bus company are paying for it?

the trouble is i am with aviva and the bus company are with aviva and three different body repair shops have told me they cant match the red including honda aviva have sent there own engineer around he has contacted honda i dont know what he said to them because they are now telling me to bring it round and they will do the work when they have already told me they cant match the paint

Surly if they can't match the red then a respray would be applicable.

I would go back to the body shop and suggest they suggest a respray.

They get paid for it so you're both quids in.

the trouble is i am with aviva and the bus company are with aviva and three different body repair shops have told me they cant match the red including honda aviva have sent there own engineer around he has contacted honda i dont know what he said to them because they are now telling me to bring it round and they will do the work when they have already told me they cant match the paint

I was told an insurance company cannot force you to go to one of their own approved garages, at the end of the day it's your choice. Perhaps they were trying to encourage you to put up with a cheap paint job, with some other cheaper red paint code? I got almost a full respray done at a Honda approved bodyshop. Knowing that I wouldnt be paying a penny, he didn't hold back in deciding all surrounding panels would need a complete repray :D

I don't know why Honda wouldn't be able to match Milano red?

they can match the paint but problem is the paint has faded and they are saying they will only repair the damage which is the rear bumper and valance and passenger side quarter panel and they will feather the paint but it will still be a different shade front to back

Suggest the insurance pay for a full machine polish to the whole car to bring the paint back up to standard.

At the end of the day, they hit your car, and YOUR car was MINT wasnt it?

machine polish doesn't touch milano, paint is under a layer of laquar, i think... And apologies for spelling.

full respray

your right it wont polish so am having a full respray i took a cash settlement so the car will look mint again thanks for comments

ok heres the deal, i know youve now settled but for future reference for people. in the case of an insurance repair it is totaly up to you as to where your car goes, its soon going to be made ilegal for insurance companys to insist you take it to there aproved repairer. they can however refuse to give you a higher car if it doesnt go to there shop but the bottom line is that its totaly up to you as to where your car goes.
on the matter of colour match, sadly milano is prone to fadeing and buffing wont help much as it is base and laquer so once its started to go pink its just a case of paint it or live with it. the reason is believed by some to be that honda didnt use uv protective laquer on some of there paint jobs so alowed the sun to bleach the paint. in the case of your car you would have been able to spot the difference as just putting fresh laquer on will make it stand out from your weathered factory paint let alone the colour making a difference. its one of thoes sad things in life that just is. hope your respray looks good when its done, put some pics up of the process,

hope this has helped people in some way shape or form

your right it wont polish so am having a full respray i took a cash settlement so the car will look mint again thanks for comments

Good news (sort of)

Hope you get a good job - and yes, you can take it where you like, but the insurance may make you pay a higher excess if you dont want it done by their cowboys.

i did take the car to a few repairers of my own choice but they could not guarantee to get a perfect match because it had faded i will post some more pictures when its finished

looking very nice, fair bit of wet flatting going on, are you going for an ultra flat finish? loads of clear coat for a shine you can fall into lol

Back