• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Refitted factory airbox = check engine light + weird hole

I refitted my factory airbox earlier on. Fitting went ok except for the fact I found out I was missing 3 screws that hold the airbox together (previous owner didn't supply them :().

Also, when I started the car the "check engine" light stayed illuminated and wouldn't turn off. I am 92.5% sure that I replaced everything that needed to be replaced. Anyway, I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it hasn't come back.... is it normal for this to happen if you change back to the stock airbox? (I should point out that the induction kit I had in there was using the sensor that measures air....

Also, I managed to put a screwdriver through this weird hole which seems to have been covered with electrical tape....

wtf_tape2.jpg

wtf_tape1.jpg

(sorry for large pictures)

Can anyone tell me what this is, and whether it is supposed to be covered by black electrical tape? Kinda urgent really, don't want to drive the car until I know whether its supposed to be covered or not. :(

Just had a look, and I have that same hole which is covered in insulation tape.

It looks like a unused electrical socket IMO

Thanks for that quick reply! :)

Guess I'll have to cover it over again tomorrow. Bit odd to have something like that in the engine from the factory, I assumed after doing it that it was something the previous owner had done... I even peeled some of it off! :(

I guess different models share the same wiring looms and connectors etc. So when a model doesn't did it all its left blank.

Durzel, do you notice a change in response/performance with the "Hole" as shown? :shock:

Scousefella said:
Durzel, do you notice a change in response/performance with the "Hole" as shown? :shock:
I daren't drive it with the hole there! In fact, I'm a little worried about driving it with 3 screws missing from the airbox (to hold the two pieces together). I should be able to pick these up from B&Q or something tomorrow shouldn't I?

Daz you will be fine driving about as it is. Them screws will cost you about a quid I reckon.

Thanks matey!

Don't suppose you have a bigger version of that you can send me do you? Want to make sure I haven't missed any parts when I fitted it back on.

I need to start looking for all my bits for my standard airbox as it's going back on soon :(

dotty said:
I have just picked up an OEM box for £30 off a 55 reg CTR :eek:

I still have mine in the shed, don't think its even covered the running in miles yet :lol:

Carl

N77 said:
dotty said:

I still have mine in the shed, don't think its even covered the running in miles yet :lol:

Carl

I may be interested in some bits off it mate if I can't find all of mine. Any chance?

MilanoChris said:
N77 said:
dotty said:

Carl

I may be interested in some bits off it mate if I can't find all of mine. Any chance?
Sorry mate, keeping it all for when it eventually goes which could be sooner than I thought if I could use a Lotus as an everyday car :lol:

Carl

Car actually feels faster now with the standard airbox on! Don't know if thats the placebo effect, or whether its just running rich at the moment from me resetting the ECU...

Can't hear the car changeover to VTEC anymore, but it seems faster when its in the zone and picks up quicker. There was a very short delay on my old in-engine filter.

Can anyone ID this amazing* air filter? There's a Apexi type filter inside the metal neck of it.

ctr_oldfilter.jpg

* Not amazing

Back