• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Rev limit

So this weekend I managed to somehow enjoy the noise and the revs too much. A couple of times while in third I managed to go slightly over 8k rpm, at which point the car seemed to make a strange revving noise. Of course I then instantly changed gear.

I cursed at myself for letting the revs get that high (what can I say.. lost in the vtec zone :twisted:).

Anyway I wonder how bad this is for the car. It's not something I've meant to do, but damn I don't want to blow an engine. I've read of over-revving leading to engines blowing, but is that just bad luck, or some serious over revs? Is the odd nudge over 8k ok?

[Edit: It's a 05 EP3 and I'm quite anal about checking the oil :) ]

So this weekend I managed to somehow enjoy the noise and the revs too much. A couple of times while in third I managed to go slightly over 8k rpm, at which point the car seemed to make a strange revving noise. Of course I then instantly changed gear.

I cursed at myself for letting the revs get that high (what can I say.. lost in the vtec zone :twisted:).

Anyway I wonder how bad this is for the car. It's not something I've meant to do, but damn I don't want to blow an engine. I've read of over-revving leading to engines blowing, but is that just bad luck, or some serious over revs? Is the odd nudge over 8k ok?

[Edit: It's a 05 EP3 and I'm quite anal about checking the oil :) ]

The rev limit is at 8250rpm and that's what you'll have hit, and you won't have over revved it, you'll have gone into the red which is fine, you can go into the red with no problems at all. The problem with over revving is if you go for say 4th and actually get 2nd gear, and you'll end up with stupid revs, ie 12-14krpm and you will blow the engine in a big way. The rev limit is there to prevent over revving in normal driving, but won't stop the engine over revving if you miss shift on a down change:)

Aslong as you don't make a massive habit of hitting the limiter you'll be fine but everyone does it now and again and is pretty much nothing to worry about.

Oh and the strange revving noise, almost like a stuttering noise?

I did read what you said. And 9,000 rpm on the dials is not 8,600 rpm.
Attach a digital dial to your car and see what you get... :D

Oh so Guy @ CPL is lying to me then !

My real, safe, rev limit is 8600 with the Hondata. However, the tacho isnt accurate, and shows 9000.

Everything guy says, doesn't mean it's right.

I too, limit my Hondata to 8,600 rpm, but it will soon be raised to 9,000 + . I expect it to be showing around 9200 on the dials for an accurate 9,000 rpm reading.

I don't understand why you are disputing this.

My hondata is set to 8600 real engine revs. Because of the tacho inaccuracies, it shows 9000 on my clocks.

Good for you going 9000+ but itll show at least 400rpm more on your clocks.

I don't understand why you are disputing this.

My hondata is set to 8600 real engine revs. Because of the tacho inaccuracies, it shows 9000 on my clocks.

Good for you going 9000+ but itll show at least 400rpm more on your clocks.

Oh, ok, So when the car is switched off, the clock's are actually at 400rpm?

When I'm idling at 1040 rpm, the car is actually idling at 1400rpm on the clocks?

Sorry Jamez, You're wrong mate. I'm telling you, your wrong. It doesn't just go up 400 rpm across the rev-range no matter where you are! :rolleyes:

Right so judging on that basis, Honda is really lying and they're giving out false information everytime you read the tachometer, fact is Jamez, once you plug your laptop up to your hondata, you'll see that theres no inaccuracy! I am sure Guy isn't lying to you but information might have gotten muddled up! I know this because my best friends are owners of Genesis Tuning, and yes they do Hondata tuning. I mean not to sound retarded but if I was to go by your theory, cars with speedos that start with 10mph at the first line dosn't mean you can add another 10mph on top of the speed to get the actual speed, it's the way they're calibrated! Hope this helps!

Oh, ok, So when the car is switched off, the clock's are actually at 400rpm?

When I'm idling at 1040 rpm, the car is actually idling at 1400rpm on the clocks?

Sorry Jamez, You're wrong mate. I'm telling you, your wrong. It doesn't just go up 400 rpm across the rev-range no matter where you are! :rolleyes:

How can i be wrong if thats what I can see ? But i think we have our wires crossed somehow.

Hondata rev limit 8600.
My rev counter 9000.

Its just like the speedo inaccuracy, say your speedo says 150mph, you're probably doing a real 135mph etc the higher up it is, the bigger % of inaccuracy. Im not saygin its a 400rpm increase wherever your tacho needle is, its a %. 4% inaccuracy for example. 1040 idle would be a real 1000. 10,400rpm would be a real 10,000 rpm etc.

Dont believe everything your clocks tell you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back