• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Scruffy's 3rd Type R - Back in the USSR, actually no a Civic Type R.

Well the Teg went, shame to see it go but I'd scratched the itch and as much as you can argue it's a better driver's car than the EP3 I'd come to the end of my love with it so off it went to someone who'd love it again.

Around the time it was up for sale, a forum member had his CTR up and I took the 140+ mile trip northwards to go and have a look. Couple of weeks later, I took another trip up north and drove back in it. :)

So anyway, here it is:

IMG_8421_zps24fa8517.jpg

Mods on the car were fairly subtle and in line with what I was planning to do anyway which was a bonus. ABP FRSU, Eibach springs and bolts and camber arms. Haven't checked yet to see what they are or it they're just modified standard arms but makes no odds either way.

There was an AEM V2 on there as well, which sounded awesome but wasn't for me. Back to standard induction I forgot how sedate the K20 is against the B18 when you're being lead footed. The Teg sounded like an urgency akin to a cat escaping a hosepipe. Do love how much more useable power there is in the Civic though, and the 6th gear is something I really missed in the DC2 when sitting on the motorway unable to hear myself think over the escalating rattles and squeaks. :lol: The Civic is a solid German luxo-barge by comparison.

Anyway, future plans... all rather dull really. Service, valve clearances and probably getting the drop links or track rod ends replaced to cure a slight knocking over bumps next month. Then, a slipper and a clutch as I do miss being hauled round corners. Few cosmetic beefs which I'll deal with in time, parking dink or two that sorta thing. Long term, unless life throws me another curve ball - light breathing mods and a K100. Just like everyone else. :D

I have done a couple of minor bits, full clean inside and out and a healthy coat of wax. New mats, swapped out standard audio for Alpine iDA-X313 and Type G components with matted doors and Type S tweeter pods. Standard new car procedure for me.

IMG_0876_zpsd52fc93e.jpg

Also treated the yellowing headlights to a refurb. As mentioned in the Megs repair kit thread on here, I found the kit to be a bag of sh*t so after getting a bit panicky about my now very clouded headlight I broke out the wet dry paper and rotary polished them back using PlastX. Infinitely better than they were before:

IMG_9938_zps23268550.jpg

And after:

IMG_1415_zps186572a6.jpg

Also finished this off today, so that'll be going on when the service happens.

IMG_9157_zps1a899332.jpg

IMG_5844_zps552a0b76.jpg

Good work bud and a very shiny looking Cosmic. :smt023

Cheers buddy, it's more testament to the way the previous keeper looked after it more than anything. I was merely topping it up!

Bit of luck I'll get a chance in the coming weeks to do it again and get some decent pics of it instead of iBone pics.

As on iMessage, looks fantastic Mike, even better in bigger pictures than a phone screen:lol:

Ta 4kas. :D

Indeed Daz, I poached all the pics from the stream I'll be honest. :lol: Thought I hadn't done much at all, but turns out I have done a few odd jobs. Found this one as well, utterly lame fitting stereo fascias with terrible colour matching can do one!

IMG_4679_zps360a75a9.jpg

Happy to get that sorted, but a hurdle of a job that really didn't need to be done. If only Autoleads could get their sh*t together...

Thanking you fellas. :D

Yep Rossy, I'm doing the Uncle Buck plan for stopping smoking. Was cigarettes, now rollies, expecting to move on to cigars, chewing tobacco and snuff in the not too distant future. :lol:

Nice one Scuffy. I was half expecting to see your new car in red as there is an EP3 parked where your other halfs parents park. Clearly not you then unless your odd jobs involved changing the car colour from Cosmic to red :)

Cheers fellas. Yeah Sun it does sit nicely, and quite surprised at how comfortable it still is.

Linus - They're breeding down there! Did I see you again the other morning heading to work suited and booted?

Wee update, b-pipe has arrived and it's booked in for a service and drop links sorting etc early next month. Once that's out of the way, some kind of induction and maybe a PRC inlet before K100.

Why PRC and not RBC? Because I can't be farked to mutilate the slam, it's considerably cheaper and all other reasons in between. :)

Halfords rattle cans would you believe. :)

Process I used:

• Nitromors to clear off the wrinkle. Then more Nitromors, then an additional coat of the stuff.

• Hose it all down, degrease (Poorboys degreaser is excellent) and leave to dry thoroughly. Use compressed air to clear out all the small spaces.

• Mask off washer seats, breather, coil pack openings, and as much of the underside as you can. I used blue detailer's tape and a plastic bag.

• Warm up cover by leaving on/over a warm radiator.

• Warm up primer by leaving in a saucepan of very warm water.

• Wait 10 minutes, whilst waiting use Vaseline to mask off Honda lettering (that I forgot to do)

• Shake primer and coat evenly, don't worry if it's thin in places. Wait 15 minutes, then coat again.

• Put back near radiator and leave to cure for 12+ hours, I left mine 24.

• Take a 1200/1600/2000 grit wet dry, and soak it in slightly soapy water for 15 mins.

• Spray water over whole rocker cover, and flat down the primer in paper stages taking care not to concentrate on one area for too long.

• Rinse down again, dry by radiator thoroughly.

• Once dry, warm up the paint and the cover again and repeat the above paint/15 minute wait for coat. (take care not to put any runs in! I put two small ones in, swore loudly!)

• Dry for 24 hours minimum.

• Flat out any muck from the paint with a fine grit wet dry as above.

• Wash/dry etc.

• Warm up again, warm lacquer as above.

• Apply as many coats of this stuff as you want. I think I managed to get 3 on there out of a can.

• Dry, peel off masking carefully when properly hardened. Apply a coat of wax to protect the new paint.

• Admire!

Halfords rattle cans would you believe. :)

Process I used:

• Nitromors to clear off the wrinkle. Then more Nitromors, then an additional coat of the stuff.

• Hose it all down, degrease (Poorboys degreaser is excellent) and leave to dry thoroughly. Use compressed air to clear out all the small spaces.

• Mask off washer seats, breather, coil pack openings, and as much of the underside as you can. I used blue detailer's tape and a plastic bag.

• Warm up cover by leaving on/over a warm radiator.

• Warm up primer by leaving in a saucepan of very warm water.

• Wait 10 minutes, whilst waiting use Vaseline to mask off Honda lettering (that I forgot to do)

• Shake primer and coat evenly, don't worry if it's thin in places. Wait 15 minutes, then coat again.

• Put back near radiator and leave to cure for 12+ hours, I left mine 24.

• Take a 1200/1600/2000 grit wet dry, and soak it in slightly soapy water for 15 mins.

• Spray water over whole rocker cover, and flat down the primer in paper stages taking care not to concentrate on one area for too long.

• Rinse down again, dry by radiator thoroughly.

• Once dry, warm up the paint and the cover again and repeat the above paint/15 minute wait for coat. (take care not to put any runs in! I put two small ones in, swore loudly!)

• Dry for 24 hours minimum.

• Flat out any muck from the paint with a fine grit wet dry as above.

• Wash/dry etc.

• Warm up again, warm lacquer as above.

• Apply as many coats of this stuff as you want. I think I managed to get 3 on there out of a can.

• Dry, peel off masking carefully when properly hardened. Apply a coat of wax to protect the new paint.

• Admire!

dam lol i might buy a spare so i can still use the car, did you use the VHT paint from halfords?

Linus - They're breeding down there! Did I see you again the other morning heading to work suited and booted?

Wee update, b-pipe has arrived and it's booked in for a service and drop links sorting etc early next month. Once that's out of the way, some kind of induction and maybe a PRC inlet before K100.

Why PRC and not RBC? Because I can't be farked to mutilate the slam, it's considerably cheaper and all other reasons in between. :)

No not me if suited and booted. I can't remember the last time I wore a suit :) I do get a wave from a girl driving to work most mornings in a white DC5. She comes from Pirbright bends, through Frimley Green and heads towards Frimley. No idea who she is though :)

So where are you getting the PRC from and is it a straight swap to the OEM manifold or do other modifications need doing like throttle body etc? Many gains to be had with the PRC over the OEM one?

EP3's FTMFW

I nearly bought about three while waiting about for my Datsun, had to hold back.

Looks in good nick too, good colour, good mods, try and find a GM ;) .

dam lol i might buy a spare so i can still use the car, did you use the VHT paint from halfords?

Nope, just the standard stuff. The trick is to be patient between coats, and do the prep. The one thing I failed to do was to be totally even around the corners, which is where I picked up a couple of runs. Take your time with it, and you'll get good results. :)

No not me if suited and booted. I can't remember the last time I wore a suit :) I do get a wave from a girl driving to work most mornings in a white DC5. She comes from Pirbright bends, through Frimley Green and heads towards Frimley. No idea who she is though :)

So where are you getting the PRC from and is it a straight swap to the OEM manifold or do other modifications need doing like throttle body etc? Many gains to be had with the PRC over the OEM one?

Ah must be another CG around here then, can't say I've spotted many DC5s apart from the odd one on the drive to work. There is a blue DC5 in the car park at work with ITR-DC5 stickers on it that a blonde lass drives, but never bothered to stalk the owner. Being at work and all. :lol:

I'll probably just keep an eye out on the usual forum classified haunts tbh, last one went for about £140 which is a little more reasonable than the £200-50 that the RBCs tend to go for and with the added bonus of not having to mutilate the slam. There's a few guides on k20a.org where people have moved the slam forward by opening the bolt holes up a bit with a dremmel but then you have to mash the lock about a bit to get the bonnet to close.

Gains wise I think people talk pub bhp figures of about 10bhp after a mapping, to be honest I'm not chasing numbers but makes sense to improve on the restrictive stock mani when doing induction upgrades and at a bang/buck ratio that seems to work. Actually, talking of induction I must catch up with you at some point to have a look/listen to your ITG as I think that's the route I'm going to go down too...

EP3's FTMFW

I nearly bought about three while waiting about for my Datsun, had to hold back.

Looks in good nick too, good colour, good mods, try and find a GM ;) .

Cheers buddy, Steve did a great job looking after it whilst it was in his care. I'd love a GM, but I can't justify the cost/performance when I can get an inlet mani and a cheaper induction for better gains at about the same price. We'll see, might happen. :lol:

Back