• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Service cost

My 52 plate CTR is due it's service this month it has 40800 miles on the clock and Grantham Honda (where I had service done last year) rang and quoted me £310 including valve clearance adjustment but before booking in I thought i'd ring round and see if anywhere else was cheaper, so I rang Mansfield Honda and they have just quted me £185 for exactly the same service can't believe their is such a difference between 2 Honda main dealers .

I was saying this sort of thing yesterday as mine is due it's first major service on 51,000 on a 52 plate, I got quoted £317. What makes it worse is it's stuff you can do yourself, basically you're paying for the stamp mate....disgusting price

last december when i got my last service done mine was in the £300 range, why two honda dealerships have such big difference i'd never know. I'd expect some difference as each garage would have different overhead costs but they should be within the same ball park

Just thought, did you ask for a service and then a major service? It sounds like £185 would just be a normal one???

My 52 plate CTR is due it's service this month it has 40800 miles on the clock and Grantham Honda (where I had service done last year) rang and quoted me £310 including valve clearance adjustment but before booking in I thought i'd ring round and see if anywhere else was cheaper, so I rang Mansfield Honda and they have just quted me £185 for exactly the same service can't believe their is such a difference between 2 Honda main dealers .

Make sure that £185 includes valve adj, as I highly suspect that it doesnt.

Also ask for them to list what they are going to do......

Make sure that £185 includes valve adj, as I highly suspect that it doesnt.

Also ask for them to list what they are going to do......

I got them to list what they were going to do and it was exactly the same as Grantham Honda and I double checked it included the valve adjustment as when they listed it they just said 'valve clearance check' so I thought they might just check it for that price and charge me extra if they actually needed adjusting but they said they would carry out adjustment if required for no extra cost.

In my 7 years ownership of the R, I never had to pay more than £150 for a service, but that was me providing the oil though.

At a main dealership as well.

Parts would cost you more than that!

Engine Oil + Filter £60+
Gearbox Oil £20+
Spark plugs [very expensive from honda at least £20 a plug] £80
Pollen filter - ?
Air filter - £25
Brake fluid - £20+

Then labour which will be at least £75 per hour.

My EP3 has just had a service, its on 52k. I'm not sure whether my service included valve adj and am not sure on the quality of services its had in the past as they were not from Honda garages.

Would it be worth getting the valve adj done just in case? and how much would this cost?

Cheers

Valve clearence should be at 50,000 iirc, not 40,000.

Basically it's every 25,00 miles, so If you can find out if it was done at it's first big service then it don't need doing. Plugs aren't required until 75,000 either.

Should only be oil, filter, air filter and levels check, round the 150 mark

Mansfield and Grantham are now part of the same group [Vertu?], so they should match the price tbh. I told Grantham I had a price of £250 all inc from Mansfield back in June and they did it for the same price.

So your £185 price looks pretty good Mike! :D

Anthony [Technician] at Grantham sorted mine out and adjusted the valve clearances during the service.

If you'd rather have it done at Grantham [because it's a damn sight easier to get to] just phone Diane in Service and ask her to match the price. :cool:

Go to TDI North mate, they're service is much more than a service, their vehicle check is incred, and well worth the drive.

What's your email, and I'll e-mail you a service schedule they sent me

Valve clearence should be at 50,000 iirc, not 40,000.

Basically it's every 25,00 miles, so If you can find out if it was done at it's first big service then it don't need doing. Plugs aren't required until 75,000 either.

Should only be oil, filter, air filter and levels check, round the 150 mark

I'm pretty sure valve clearance should be done every 25,000 miles or every 2 years.

I'm happy to get it done at mansfield now JMR as I can go into town and do some xmas shopping while I wait. :)

Any person who doesnt change their plugs until 75k miles is a bloomin muppet -

FYI Valve clearing by Stratstone Honda is £75.00 inc vat ! :)

I'm pretty sure valve clearance should be done every 25,000 miles or every 2 years.

I'm happy to get it done at mansfield now JMR as I can go into town and do some xmas shopping while I wait. :)

Like I said, every 25,000 miles. If you can assume it was done at 25,000, then at 40,000 you don't need it doing. More likely next year.

Ok Mike, sounds good.:)
Drop us a line if you need a lift if any problems arise.

Back