• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Should I put this back in?

I had a service at Honda a couple of weeks ago and they found this.

DSCF0159..jpg

(Although much dirtier. I hope it's OK to use the Pic Dotty)

They took it out and replaced it with an OEM one as part of the service.

Would I get any benifits from putting it back in?

It should be a freer flowing filter.
Just give it a good clean & re-oil it before refitting.

To be honest I thought the subject matter was going to be somewhat different judging by the title ;) haha
But yes, give a good clean and put it back in, then either keep the OEM as a spare or sell it on as new :)

Cool. Just wash with washing up liquid and oil with engine oil?

I'll keep it as a spare for the next time I take it in for a service.

It's all about the title!

I haven't cleaned a filter before but I wouldn't recommend using washing up liquid as think it'll clog it up :? Think halfords sell a cleaning kit (with oil) for £12.99

If its anything like a bike foam filter you can just clean it in petrol then re oil it with spray on filter oil prob cost you 10/12 squid and last you millions of cleans

I finally got round to buying the cleaning kit and cleaning the filter.

Before I put it back in could anyone tell me what brand the air filter is? Just for interest really as it would be nice to know what I'm putting in my car ;)

DSC00130.jpg

So it is the same just the first one is brand new?

Mine looked more or a green when I cleaned it (but I am colour blind ;))

edit

I've just Googled how much they cost!

I'm glad I didn't throw it out now!

Last edited by a moderator:
The OEM filter is a greeny/blue colour and the one you have now is a Spoon Sports filter.

It will be free'er flowing than the Honda one and in theory improve the speed in which the air is delivered to the engine. Keep it.

So I cleaned, oiled and installed it yesterday.

A tip for those have never used the K&N recharge kit the oil is like red spay paint. It came as quite a surprise on the first spray ;)

I took it out for a blast on the afternoon but couldn't really notice any difference? Maybe a slight change in note when in vtec?

I might look at doing the Hondata mod next if I can find anyone who I can borrow a Dremal off.

Back