• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Skunk's Honda Addiction

Howsit guys

Gave a bit of an intro of the car over on the newbie section.
Thought id give a bit more of an in depth perspective on the car and also share / learn more about the car in the process (as I've realized there are a fair bit of differences to the UK models which I had been basing most of my research on). And also keep a bit of a progress log on the cars transformation over the next couple of months, also to try and serve as a learning guide to myself and whoever else would find it interesting.

Comments and crits are welcome, also advice on parts and other such trivial items are also welcomed!

Please excuse the picture spam in here.

Onto the car.
Pics of the car in Japan before being loaded into the container to be sent to Durban SA (crappy agent pics).

IMG_5856.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

When the car arrived a few items had been nicked from the car, aerial, UK emblem on the hatch and the tweeters :mad:

The cars front lip did not match the colour of the car, and there was a scratch on the rear bumper. Car was sent off to get repaired as soon as it had been registered.

IMG_7636.jpg

Rear bumper didn't come out as well as I had hoped and isn't the exact colour match to the car.

IMG_7643.jpg

The car will be going in get the whole front end redone as well as the whole rear bumper and lip, my friend managed to reverse the car out my drive and got the front lip hooked on the curb semi removing the whole front bumper and cracking the paint :(

The engine bay looked rather tatty and dirty so gave it a solid clean and sprayed the center plug cover black - silver just wasn't talking to me.

Before

IMG_2121.jpg

After

Engine%202.jpg

Engine%201.jpg

The car had annoying interior lighting and switches that did nothing, managed to source some spare stock parts to replace the ones they installed levers and switches on. I sadly didn't take any pictures of that.

Once that was sorted out the car was used as my daily commute as the Evo just did not cut it for day to day traffic.
In this time the following issues arose to which I bought a UKDM EP3 front cut for spares (A lot of differences after dissecting the front cut)

IMG_3820.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

Primary o2 sensor failed (First lesson in part differences) UKDM part does not work on the JDM unit - Denso Part number - 192400-1090 (Pic included at end)
Driver side ball joint failed - Got a set of Buddy Club P1 extended joints.
Front engine mount failed causing engine to rock and bad shifting (tried doing a DIY polybush from one of the mounts I got from the front cut) in the end I just bought a new set of Innovative 60a billet mounts.
Brakes need to be replace - UKDM disks dont fit, trying to get a set of FN2 disks to check to see if they fit correctly. Will post pics of that once I've got the parts and installed.

IMG_5814.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

Car will be going in next week for the mounts and ball joints to be installed (Pic above)

Right now the car is slowly getting there but nowhere near I want it to be yet.
Future plans in terms of mods is to put Evo 8 rims on the car, decent set of headers (Probably the Tegiwa one), decat and Hondata.

How she is currently

Afterwash%202.jpg

Thank you for reading.
Will be adding more as I continue with the cleaning up and fiddling with the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesnt seem like you have had much luck so far, keep at it, will look great when you are done.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Sadly not all the best luck initially, but will get there.

Should receive the new brakes disks today then can get cracking with fitment tonight. Old disks are knackered and pads only had about 1mm of material left on them :eek:

Coming along nicely fella! I admire your dedication, shame about the teething problems but it seems your making swift progress...

I've heard that CW is a hard paint to match - maybe try some cutting compound around freshly painted areas? Wasn't aware that JDM discs were different fitment to the EDM's either. Hope you've got your new discs fitting. Might be a shout to get in touch with other JDM owners for any useful tips etc.

Keep up the good work

Much appreciated :)
Teething problems are annoying but at least a chance to learn the car more and see an improvement on the car.

It is indeed a tricky colour to match. Will give the cutting compound a try this weekend to see if it fixes some of the imperfections on the car. But bumpers will definitely need to get a new coat of paint.

Managed to get the correct disks ... turns out CL9 Accord Type S front disks are the correct ones ... 299mm (300mm). I have attached below the difference in sizes.
Will take some pics of the old disks and pads :eek::mad:

Coming along nicely fella! I admire your dedication, shame about the teething problems but it seems your making swift progress...

I've heard that CW is a hard paint to match - maybe try some cutting compound around freshly painted areas? Wasn't aware that JDM discs were different fitment to the EDM's either. Hope you've got your new discs fitting. Might be a shout to get in touch with other JDM owners for any useful tips etc.

Keep up the good work

290mm Disk
Wrong%20Brakes%202.jpg

Another angle
Wrong%20Brakes.jpg

Correct disks (CL9 Accord Type S Disks)

New%20Brakes.jpg

Another angle (Yes there is a slight gap after the pad - the OEM disk was exactly the same)

New%20Brakes%202.jpg

Cars looking good, the paint code if your interested is NH-0 I had to have my alloys refurbed on my JDM EP3 and matching the colour was important to me. However saying that the bumpers on my EP are darker than the main body of the car.

I asked HONDA why this was and they told me the Bumpers, Spoilers, Wing Mirrors were painted in a different factory?!? thats why the colour was slightly off, anyway had them re-done so looks they car looks spot on!

In regards to spare parts have a look at http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/ for spare parts.

Thank you for the heads up, will inform my panel shop of that when it goes in towards the end of the year.

Cars looking good, the paint code if your interested is NH-0 I had to have my alloys refurbed on my JDM EP3 and matching the colour was important to me. However saying that the bumpers on my EP are darker than the main body of the car.

I asked HONDA why this was and they told me the Bumpers, Spoilers, Wing Mirrors were painted in a different factory?!? thats why the colour was slightly off, anyway had them re-done so looks they car looks spot on!

In regards to spare parts have a look at http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/ for spare parts.

Slight bit of an update, installed the 60a innovative mounts, on start up they werent bad at all, when I started driving it thats where it all went wrong.
The vibration through the cabin got progressively worse and worse to the point where its unbearable. My theories for now are is they were installed incorrectly and are somehow touching something as they are noticibely beefier than the stock units.

It is especially bad from 2500rpm - 3800rpm to where it just vibrates within the car. Also to note is that its fine at idle and when reversing its perfect.

My evo has AMS 90a solids on it and is nowhere near as violent.

Car is going back to the shop tomorrow to have a proper inspection as to what may be the cause. Will keep the thread updated and with more pics once ive taken them off of my phone :cool:

You have had some pretty crap luck with this car. I hope things improve for you soon. It looks like a great project.

Sadly the joys of owning one of these cars down here.

Upside is we found that the shop in its haste on a Friday installed the driver side mount incorrectly. Rectified that and now the car is a million times better to drive.
I do believe I may have a rattle / vibration from a heat shield (which is common) will investigate further this weekend.

Waiting on my shipment from RHD Japan to arrive so I can continue with the refresh of the car and upgrading.

Will post pics of the mounts installed when I get my pictures off of my camera.

My parcel from RHD Japan arrived yesterday.

Got a few cosmetic items and Spoon magnetic sump and gearbox plugs for when I give the car a solid service next week.

IMG_6690.jpg

The correct O2 sensor for the car

IMG_6688.jpg

Installed it and now no more engine management light

IMG_6701.jpg

So a bit of an update after a while.

Gave the car quite a bit of TLC last week, new stabilizer links, new ball joints and new tie rod ends.

Quick pic of the old ball joint.
IMG_0005.jpg

Cars feeling a million times better and really enjoying the car again!

The innovative mounts were causing a louder than normal vibration that comes from the rear mount / steering rack / passenger side of dash firewall area, at 1st-3rd pull offs with anything above 50% throttle, we have put the stock mounts back on to find that there is still a slight vibration noise.
After checking all heat shields and mounts and bolts, we are still unable to find where the vibration is coming from and its starting to concern me. I have bounced it past a few friends who are pretty technically minded and they said it could be the clutch assembly causing the vibration ... thoughts on this?

Got another bit of parts for the car.
Cusco front strut brace and Cusco rear anti roll bar. Have fitted the strut brace already and now just waiting for some lift time so I can get the anti roll bar installed.
Please excuse the dirty bay, car needs a solid clean after all the work that has been done on it of late.

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

Few other goodies that came with it :)

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

Planning on getting the car resprayed and neatened up end of Feb / early March.
Will keep everyone updated on the progress of the car.

Not much to report on the EP3 side besides having it polished properly, paint is much better now, but a i think a good clay and detail will really make a difference.

IMG_3827.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3820_1.jpg

And then picked up my 05 DC5 ITR 3 days before my birthday as a bit of an unplanned birthday gift to myself :eek:

IMG_3683.jpg

Back