• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Smelly tyres

Danger200

I've noticed this a few times now, I've got back to my office and my rear tyres smell like I have been doing burnouts. I work near the country so the roads are twisty and generally fun to hoot around on, but the tyres stink! I sniffed the fronts and they are fine, no smell at all. I've had new tyres on the back and new brake discs/pads recently and this happened before they were put on too.

Is this common for the EP3? I mean it's like it after a normal stuck in traffic drive but nowhere near as noticeable.

When the tyres were changed did you keep the same manufacturer, type and size of tyre?

Also just thought do the tyres have a direction of rotation and is it going the correct way? I've known before garages to fit tyres on the wrong side

Last edited by a moderator:
When the tyres were changed did you keep the same manufacturer, type and size of tyre?

Also just thought do the tyres have a direction of rotation and is it going the correct way? I've known before garages to fit tyres on the wrong side

The previous tyres were the standard size and style. They smelt regularly and the new ones I have gone for 215 rather than 205 and they stink too. They are different manufacturer and have the asymetric (sp) pattern if that helps? :lol: I had to go check but yeah they are on the right way fella.

this is common, to do with heat from exhuast, so ive read :lol:

I've got a piper cat back fitted, which has a fatter b-pipe if that makes any difference over standard exhaust temps?

There has been a post on here about it before. I would do a search but I'm posting from my phone.

Cheers Lottie. The weirdest thing is that it's both my rear tyres so it cant be the exhaust, unless it gets really hot under there?

There's a thread on here somewhere, it's normal and is worse in the wet, my FN2 does it as well.

Cheers for putting my mind at ease, I thought it had a shunt or something before I bought it and the wheels were out of line or something similar.

Cheers for putting my mind at ease, I thought it had a shunt or something before I bought it and the wheels were out of line or something similar.

I had this issue with oem back box, when I put the subo on smell went away. I think it to be an issue with excess heat near the tyre wall, the oem box being a lot wider and near to the tire wall, under inspection you will maybe find your back box insitu very near to tyre. Let us know your findings
Lee

I had this issue with oem back box, when I put the subo on smell went away. I think it to be an issue with excess heat near the tyre wall, the oem box being a lot wider and near to the tire wall, under inspection you will maybe find your back box insitu very near to tyre. Let us know your findings
Lee

When the weather dries up a bit fella I will go have a look, dont fancy getting wet :lol: and I will get back to you.

Another one for the smelly tyres club here!!
I had never noticed this before until the other day when sat in some traffic with the windows down.

Back