• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

So whats wrong

Rightio update time. Ive purchased my deep walled 10mm socket to make my valve clearance tool.

Ive also investigate the misfire avenue, i parked down a secluded road and revd the car whilst stationary and in neutral. Car revs to just over 6.5k rpm and no higher, it sort hits 6.5k rpm and then drops a few rpm then back to 6.5k rpm as if its bouncing off the rev limiter. The engine doesnt make any strange sounds of any kind on the way to 6.5k rpm.

When i was out earlier ive noticed i can engage VTEC and be stutter free if i used a small amount of accelerator pedal, if i try and drive aggressively and grab lots of accelerator pedal, anymore then about half throttle ish then ill get the stuttery crap. Please note when driving i can hit the rev limit at 8k rpm, not 6.5k rpm like when stationary.

Actually snowy i think i misread your reply. I guess i should try reving whilst in neutral whilst moving. VTEC doesnt kick unless the car is moving above about 3mph iirc?

EDIT

ME AGAIN!!

Just been over on Hondarevs and read through this thread seems to match my symptoms. He fixed it by cleaning the VTEC oil sensor. Ive had a gander through the service manual and cant find a VTEC oil sensor. Is there such a thing or is he talking about the Oil Pressure Switch which is located near the oil filter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Already had that off :D

Metal gause filter was clear, however i didnt remove the actual bit off the top of this asm. I assume the bit on top is the actual solenoid? (listed as Valve in picture?) Should i remove this too?

Im going to take it off anyway :D
Just found this handy pic on google images showing the position of the VTEC oil pressure sensor.

OPSnVTECsol.jpg

Ill have both the sensor and solenoid off tomorrow and report back.

This thread is getting long ... :p

"Dear Santa for christmas i want a healthy ATR"

Todays update

Vtec oil pressure sensor removed and cleaned with carb cleaner.

Valve removed (couldnt see anything untoward)

Both parts refitted .... and still the same. :(

Going to pop down to Honda tomorrow and buy a fuel filter and fit on Saturday along with doing my valve clearances. If that dont work ill buy some cheap spark plugs and HT leads to see if i can diagnose this very annoying problem!

Just book it into Honda for a service - when you get it back moan like a biatch that it drives wrong. :smt047 :twisted: :lol:

:twisted:

Ste - only the filter should need cleaning out, that's all you need to do when ppl mention a dodgy VTEC solenoid. Honda wouldn't be that thorough! :lol:

:twisted:

Ste - only the filter should need cleaning out, that's all you need to do when ppl mention a dodgy VTEC solenoid. Honda wouldn't be that thorough! :lol:

Yer i only removed the VTEC oil pressure sensor as that guys thread on HondaRevs seemed to match my symptoms exactly!

Would a dodgy o2 sensor in my exhaust system cause my problem? When i had the mongoose system fitted a few months back the muppets at Formula1 exhaust place dropped the original exhaust without detaching the o2 sensor in the flexi pipe of the o2 sensor in the decat. They replaced the o2 sensor in the flexipipe and repaired the one in the cat (the pins had come out of the connector and just needed reinserting)

Last edited by a moderator:
That could be somethin to do with it mate. but if that was the case the ecl light should be on.
I have a fuel filter at work and i have a spare set of leads mate if you need them the filter will be a dam sight cheaper than Honda and you can have the leads :santa:
Drop me a line or a mail i could even bring them over tonight for you ;)

The clearances were due to be done a few months ago but i went on holiday and ran out of money ;)

Ill be doing the clearances tomorrow as they're due anyway, if it fixes my problem then great. If not, oh well, gives me a good reason to take bits off the engine. Ill give you a shout Rich if i need HT leads or the fuel filter. How much are fuel filters btw?

Cheers

The clearances were due to be done a few months ago but i went on holiday and ran out of money ;)

Ill be doing the clearances tomorrow as they're due anyway, if it fixes my problem then great. If not, oh well, gives me a good reason to take bits off the engine. Ill give you a shout Rich if i need HT leads or the fuel filter. How much are fuel filters btw?

Cheers

Cant honestly remember dood but it be cheap for you :lol:

Spent 3 hours doing to valve clearances, they were generally ok. About half of the valves needed adjustment. It nearly ended in disaster though, as i was putting the car back together and put the valve cover back on i accidentally knocked it and sent 4 of the 8 (i think) rubber washer things flying across my engine bay. Managed to find 3 and resigned myself to having to buy a 4th from Honda. Then it started raining and light faded fast. Screwed down the valve cover and nervously switched the ignition on ... well it starts so thats a good thing. Then i heard something *ting* as it hit my drive ... yay the missing rubber spacer from the valve cover!!

Took her for a drive, gave her 20mins to warm up and then i stamped on the loud pedal ...

AND OFF SHE FLEW!! No hesitation, shes back to normal!!! Cant beat the smell of burning clutch after an extended VTEC thrash sessh!!
:smt119 :smt119 :smt119 :smt048 :smt048 :smt048 :smt007 :dance: :mrgreen: :smt111 :smt060 :woot: :woot: :woot:

Im quite pleased with myself, no leaks either!! Think ill change my box oil tomorrow. O and another thing, found out why my AC had stopped working, one of the pipes has been fitted without a screw to hold it on and has popped off, so ive screwed that down and im gna regas that tomorrow too.

top news there mate, nice xmas present for yourself!!!:santa:

was thinkin of having mine done in the new year when its at honda,

unless its an easy DIY job??? did you be sure to do it when cold???

Im not sure id call it an "easy job". It took me 3 hours start to finish as i hadnt done it before. Im quite competent with tools and general mechanics, adjusting the actual valves can be quite annoying when you tighten the locking nut but because you havent kept the flat blade screw driver perfectly still it adjusts the clearance. So then you have to start again ... and again ... and again.

I daresay it would be alot easier with the proper Honda valve clearance tool, instead of a deep 10mm socket, a pair of mole grips and a flatblade screwdriver ;) Im not sure where/if its possible to buy this tool from but it may be something i look to buy in sometime in the future.

The current weather also isnt very nice to work in, unless you have a nice heated garage to use (i dont :mad: )

And yes i did it with car stone cold, itd been left all night and i started on it about 11am ish.

Im not sure id call it an "easy job". It took me 3 hours start to finish as i hadnt done it before.

The current weather also isnt very nice to work in, unless you have a nice heated garage to use (i dont :mad: )

And yes i did it with car stone cold, itd been left all night and i started on it about 11am ish.

fair play mate, with it being in honda soon i may just try wangle it for free:p

don't even get me started on the weather.... my car is disgraceful!!

Back