• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 SportContact 6 Tread Wear

Every tyre is "rotational" :lol:
I knew you meant directional though. ;)
I haven't actually checked....are SP6 directional?
It used to be recommended to swap wheels diagonally opposite but with directional tyres you can only swap front to rear....which is easier to do yourself. :)

I have calculated that if I swap front to rear now, in a years time(assuming my mileage does not increase) my fronts will be on 2.5 and rears 3.5, so an ideal time to change all 4.

Any reason to replace 4 at the same time? if you can't rotate then you could just replace fronts when needed and wait for rears to wear

Any reason to replace 4 at the same time?
A very good reason - I don't want to fit new SP6 tyres.
I have never swapped wheels with any previous car, but with this one it is the best thing to do for me. I need to take the hit of buying 4 tyres at the same time, but at least I will be rid of the SP6. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never swapped wheels with any previous car, but with this one it is the best thing to do for me. I need to take the hit of buying 4 tyres at the same time, but at least I will be rid of the SP6's. :D

Probably best just to change the fronts to your chosen tyre when they are ready for it, as long as they are on the same axle you shouldn't suffer any major issues in having different tyres front and rear.

Probably best just to change the fronts to your chosen tyre when they are ready for it, as long as they are on the same axle you shouldn't suffer any major issues in having different tyres front and rear.
I would never do that.....just my personal choice.
Different tyres have different handling characteristics so it could change the balance of the car front to rear, although probably not in a dangerous way.
You are right to say do not mix different tyres on same axle, that is a definite no-no.

Every tyre is "rotational" :lol:
I knew you meant directional though. ;)
I haven't actually checked....are SP6 directional?
It used to be recommended to swap wheels diagonally opposite but with directional tyres you can only swap front to rear....which is easier to do yourself. :)

I have calculated that if I swap front to rear now, in a years time(assuming my mileage does not increase) my fronts will be on 2.5 and rears 3.5, so an ideal time to change all 4.

Just testing you fk8 owners, post edited :)

I would never do that.
Different tyres have different handling characteristics so it could upset the balance of the car front to rear.
You are right to say do not mix different tyres on same axle, that is a definite no-no.

Not really going to notice on your way to the shops, if you were taking it on track and pushing it I would agree. On the road you won't notice, unless you put Parada Spec 2's on.

I have never swapped wheels with any previous car, but with this one it is the best thing to do for me. I need to take the hit of buying 4 tyres at the same time, but at least I will be rid of the SP6. :D
How come you dont like or rate the SP6 tyres Ron? Is it just because of the wear rate?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not really going to notice on your way to the shops, if you were taking it on track and pushing it I would agree. On the road you won't notice, unless you put Parada Spec 2's on.
Like I said personal choice.
For me all 4 tyres on my car need to be the same make.
I'm sure most people feel the same about this....particularly on a performance car.

Just testing you fk8 owners, post edited :)
You cant beat a bit of bully. ;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• bully-home.jpg
    bully-home.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 62
Like I said personal choice.
For me all 4 tyres on my car need to be the same make.
I'm sure most people feel the same about this....particularly on a performance car.

Your money your choice, just a suggestion.

Have you chosen a tyre that you're switching to?

Honda I assume would've put in a lot of testing time with the Continentals, and likely chose them because they gave the best (in their opinion) balance of grip levels against life of the tyre. (he says hopefully they are not just recommending Conti because they are getting a back-hander :lol:)

certainly grippier tyres out there (Michelin Pilot Supersport/Cup 2 which the car that set the Ring record had on them) but they won't last and could be "interesting" in the cold/wet winter we've had.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 I've had lasted really really well e.g. in excess of 14,000 miles on my previous Audi A3 Quattro.

Honda reckon 6,000 is the average mileage for the Contis. Mine has done 8500 (4500 as demonstrator) and is soon needing 2 new tyres as they are down to 3mm across the tyre. If it had been my car since new then I'd imagine I would've easily got 10,000 miles from them.

I think that on a fwd car if the rear tyres have less tread and therefore less grip the car is more likely to oversteer which is harder to control than understeer. Someone else can maybe confirm this or explain it better.

You need more grip at the rear as oversteer is harder to control than understeer. Most tread should always be on the back.

Suppose that's a very valid point, thanks.

My fronts were down to about 3mm so they've ended up on the back, guess it would make sense to change those sometime soon and then put them on the front again once the other pair have worn down.

Honda reckon 6,000 is the average mileage for the Contis. Mine has done 8500 (4500 as demonstrator) and is soon needing 2 new tyres as they are down to 3mm across the tyre. If it had been my car since new then I'd imagine I would've easily got 10,000 miles from them.
That is absolutely incredible wear you are getting from your SP6's. :eek:
Considering how gently I am driving my car, at their current rate of wear my fronts will be down to 3.5mm at only 4600 miles.
This is the thing that has amazed me about these tyres, it doesn't matter how gentle I am on them they are still wearing at around 1mm per 1000 miles.
I simply cannot understand how your tyres are wearing almost twice as well as mine. :confused: Do you only ever drive in a straight line? :lol:

Back