• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Square number plates

Danger200

Hi people

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a place where they you can get square number plates made up, but with the Japanese flag and a red border around the plate?
Also I'm not entirely sure of the legalities of having this flag, would I get tugged by the fuzz (no pun intended) for having this? I know some coppers can be in a crappy mood and do you if the plate doesn't have the codes on the bottom corner.

Cheers for the help

Really, but surely if the letters are the right size then they can't kick off? But alot of motorbikes have square plates that aren't imported?

just say it is an import if pulled. unless you have ****ed the copper off enough by driving like a complete bell end to check he won't bat eye lid at square plate. the flag border business is another kettle of fish though.

Tbh I've been pulled a few times but because I'm not an arse to them they are ok with me, so I think I could get off with the square plates

Yeah but motorbikes are different, the obvious reason being that a rectangular plate would stick out on either side, not a good idea!

It doesn't make much sense to me either mate but apparently thats the rules I'm afraid. A few years ago a friend wanted square plates on his 306, halfords made him a rear one but refused to make a front one for this reason.

But then again I have seen rectangle plates on bikes. GRRRR!

Bugger, what about normal plates with the Japanese flag?

Since 1st September 2001 there has been an optional provision for the display of a Euro-plate for vehicles registered in the UK. The Euro-plate is a number plate that incorporates the symbol of the European Union (a circle of 12 stars on a blue background) with the national identification letters of the member states below. This symbol is located on the far left-hand side of the number plate.

Vehicles displaying this symbol no longer have to use the traditional oval shaped national identifier (GB) sticker when travelling within the European Union. All vehicles registered in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales have, by international convention, the distinguishing sign GB.

The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and national identifiers on vehicle number plates. The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 are in the process of being amended. They will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc are not allowed.

Info from http://www.personallyyours.co.uk/number-plates-numberplates.htm

Well that's crap, although the flag isn't exactly some sort of footy crest I bet the jobs-worth copper would pull me for it.
Does anyone know of a decent company who would make this type of plate though?

I was going to originally, it's only because I wondered if anyone had used these companies so I knew of a decent place.

Cheers for the legal advice though people. By the looks of it I will get tugged with them on....bad times

IMO i think import plates on a ep3 dont look to clever, even on jdm ep3's because of the rectangle recess on the bumper, so doesnt look as though it fits properly.

I think the rear plate may look good though as the tailgate doesn't have any recess. Plus Dotty's JDM EP3, the plate at the front didn't look that bad in all honesty even with the rectangle recess

I once read on the DoTs website, that for a car to have non-standard sized plates (in laymans terms)

It must originate from a country where the Euro size plates are not used, and where the bodywork or plate mounts do not allow the fitment of the Euro plate.

Even if you have a square no. plate, the lettering font & size must conform to the spec.

So you'd think that by having a bodykit and/or JDM plate mount you'd be exempt from prosecution, but Evo8 (and Evo6 TME) owners have been done for having the square plate ...even though its fitted direct from the factory!

Plod may take a dim view of your excuses and you could get a notice to change them to Euro style, if they'll fit.
Having said that, I had motorbike plates (front one tilted) on my Evo, and never got pulled ;)

I once read on the DoTs website, that for a car to have non-standard sized plates (in laymans terms)

It must originate from a country where the Euro size plates are not used, and where the bodywork or plate mounts do not allow the fitment of the Euro plate.

Even if you have a square no. plate, the lettering font & size must conform to the spec.

So you'd think that by having a bodykit and/or JDM plate mount you'd be exempt from prosecution, but Evo8 (and Evo6 TME) owners have been done for having the square plate ...even though its fitted direct from the factory!

Plod may take a dim view of your excuses and you could get a notice to change them to Euro style, if they'll fit.
Having said that, I had motorbike plates (front one tilted) on my Evo, and never got pulled ;)

I can't get over this bit, just goes to show that some coppers are numpties just out to make an arrest.
Like this: a Toyota MR2 Turbo, gets pulled over mainly because it was modded with a young looking driver (even though the fella hadn't been driving fast).
Copper walks over all smug strutting about because he had pulled this boy over. The copper places his hands on the bonnet and says "Hmmm this bonnet is rather hot I must say, I take it you have been speeding around?"
To which the boy replies "Well I must have been going really fast for the engine to make the bonnet hot as it's behind me mate" :lol:

After searching through many pages of Google I can't find any sites that make square plates with the Japanese Flag on them anyway. I think it's luck of the draw whether you get away with it, I would argue the fact that alot of Land Rovers have square rear plates anyway

Unfortunately, arguing with a traffic cop will get you nowhere.

He (or she) will just tell you to appeal.

I would base it on your own experience. If you never get pulled, never go to cruises and all that chav shyte, then go ahead and do your thang! ;) Just the luck of the draw matey!

That's the thing I'm allways polite to them as there's no need to be an arse as they can make your life hell lol. Although I did get into an argument with a couple of them as to what engine was in their Skodas.
I haven't been to a cruise since I was 18/19 lol and I'm never the one driving stupid (I get told off by my gf if even try to go a bit quick)

Back