• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Steamy windows

Hi,

Does anyone else get steamed up rear side windows when the rains on? Car's a 2001 and just wandering if it needs new window seals......

Do you have AC? If so turn it on.

Proper steamy windows are usually caused by dampness in the car, either from water leaking in or you've put something wet in there.

Yeah but it needs to be cranked up more than is bearable. Windows down for a bit normally solves it but comes back after a while once the windows are back up. Just strange that its only on the rear sides. Interiors bone dry and there's never anything wet in the car......

Yeah but it needs to be cranked up more than is bearable. Windows down for a bit normally solves it but comes back after a while once the windows are back up. Just strange that its only on the rear sides. Interiors bone dry and there's never anything wet in the car......

I get this all the time and it does my bloody head in. Although I have noticed recently that my vents have started to smell a bit funny when I turn them on, do yours?

Use the Rain-X Anti fog product in a Black bottle available from Halfords etc, it works.

Also try and find if you have any leaks.

The AC is working and the car is dry inside then it won't steam up.

Use the Rain-X Anti fog product in a Black bottle available from Halfords etc, it works.

Also try and find if you have any leaks.

I was going to post a thread not so long ago asking about this. I know the stuff that treats the windscreen works quite well, as a friend recommended it to me but haven't heard about the interior one. I think I will purchase it tomorrow thanks

Quick tip.

I have to put large sila gel packs in the door cards and that stopped all of this happening.

This is more so in the morning when its a bit misty in the morning.

I robbed two from work, they were inside some printers that we bought.

Do you have AC? If so turn it on.

Proper steamy windows are usually caused by dampness in the car, either from water leaking in or you've put something wet in there.

Actually turning the A/C is only effective if you keep it on constantly. The reason why it works is because you are only allowing cold air to hit the glass, so no condensation. As soon as you turn it off or turn it down it steams up much quicker and will be a lot harder to get rid of as the glass is so much colder than the air in the cabin (bathroom mirror effect!)

A much better way imo is to turn up the heater instead to heat up the glass so the water can't condense onto it and also evaporates into the air. Once it clears, open the windows to let out the now humid air. Takes a bit longer to demist than a/c but is much more effective at keeping it away imo.

Also, another tip is to turn off the re-circ' when you park up your car at night so the humid air doesn't get stuck in the cabin.

Just my 2p, HTHs! :)

Actually turning the A/C is only effective if you keep it on constantly. The reason why it works is because you are only allowing cold air to hit the glass, so no condensation. As soon as you turn it off or turn it down it steams up much quicker and will be a lot harder to get rid of as the glass is so much colder than the air in the cabin (bathroom mirror effect!)

A much better way imo is to turn up the heater instead to heat up the glass so the water can't condense onto it and also evaporates into the air. Once it clears, open the windows to let out the now humid air. Takes a bit longer to demist than a/c but is much more effective at keeping it away imo.

Also, another tip is to turn off the re-circ' when you park up your car at night so the humid air doesn't get stuck in the cabin.

Just my 2p, HTHs! :)

No what you're supposed to do is leave the AC on all the time as it dehumidifies and adjust the temperature accordingly. It's nothing to do with the temperature of the air, AC on to dehumidify and heat on at what ever level you want.

I've never turned the AC off in any car i've had.

Why would you have the the re-circ on? You only need it for occasional use for bad smells/pollution other leave it off or it steam up inside.

No what you're supposed to do is leave the AC on all the time as it dehumidifies and adjust the temperature accordingly. It's nothing to do with the temperature of the air, AC on to dehumidify and heat on at what ever level you want.

I've never turned the AC off in any car i've had.

I only turn the AC on when I need to. Keeping it on all the time seems unnecessary to me, not to mention the amount of fuel and engine power it uses up.

Actually the air temperature has a lot to do with the amount of condensation you get. The warm humid air inside the car only condenses onto the windows because they glass surface is colder, if the glass was the same temp or warmer than the air, it'll struggle to condense onto it.

Why would you have the the re-circ on? You only need it for occasional use for bad smells/pollution other leave it off or it steam up inside.

That's the only reason I use it for, and as I live in London that means its on quite a lot! :)

I only turn the AC on when I need to. Keeping it on all the time seems unnecessary to me, not to mention the amount of fuel and engine power it uses up.

It's not unnecessary as it stops it steaming up inside. As for the power and fuel it uses it's that small it's not even worth thinking about, if you start thinking like that then you best stop carry passengers as they have more of an impact.

IMO AC is of more use in winter in the UK than summer.

Is it normal for air to be flowing throught the vents when the whole lot is turned off. Noticed the other day that the car was roasting inside and had to turn down the heat even though the fan wasn't on. Both side vents were also closed.....

ok what about when the windows are steamed up on the outside? this has happend to me twice in cold mornings. couldnt see shizzle out the side windows so i had to open them up just to see out, and i freezed my butt off!!

ok what about when the windows are steamed up on the outside? this has happend to me twice in cold mornings. couldnt see shizzle out the side windows so i had to open them up just to see out, and i freezed my butt off!!

Wipe them with a cloth.... :roll:

Back