• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Suspected faint knocking while in vtec

Hello,

A bit of history about the car, EP3 05 plate, 28.5k on the clock 10k by me, had it just over a year. Everything standard apart from brake pads (Ferodo DS2500). Oil is checked regularly and topped up with Silkolene Pro-S, though it hasn't been changed since last service. Always wait a good 10-15mins before really ragging it (ok, there was once or twice..). Never been tracked. Driven mainly through town to get to work with a couple of short country blasts. Gets vtec'd about every day :twisted:

A couple of times recently I've thought I've heard a faint knocking sound while in vtec, possibly only in 2nd and 3rd gear. I've tried to drive on smooth flat roads and give it some vtec while really listening but I can't hear it. I'm not sure if it's just been something random on some of the roads I happen to drive on!

The engine sounds fine the rest of the time, and it's only been once or twice that I've thought I've heard this noise.

I'm assuming that if there was something wrong with the engine it would be making knocking noises in all gears when in vtec, or making noise before the change over. I'd also assume that if there was a fault it would show up on some sort of test or diagnostic computer?

Anyone heard of something like this before? Any ideas what it could be? I'm planning on taking it into the dealer and asking them about it, however I've got a feeling that as soon as I say "I think I've heard.." they'll keep my car for half a day and come back with a NFF.

Cheers, beach.

I wont insult your intelligence as you seem pretty clued up, but you do keep an eye on the oil level dont you?

No insult at all, I'm not really that clued up on cars! I just know to always include as much information as possible when looking for help with suspected faults (I work with computers and problem solving is a daily part of the job :) )

I keep an eye on it and it's looking ok. Can the "age" of oil make a difference. By that I mean, the amount of miles done with it? An oil change is something I'm planning to get done in January after the postal service settles down and I can order some more.

The oil should be changed at least ever year/12500 miles, whichever occurs first. I change mine every 6000 on average.

It might be an engine damper on its way out tbh.

Thanks for the info.

The oil is about 9000 miles old, was changed at the last service.

The engine damper, a bit of googling leads me to believe this is like suspension for the engine. Which would definitely fit with what I thought I'd heard. If is was an engine damper, is it a big job to change them?

Check your engine mounts?

That's what I meant. :lol:

Thanks for the info.

The oil is about 9000 miles old, was changed at the last service.

The engine damper, a bit of googling leads me to believe this is like suspension for the engine. Which would definitely fit with what I thought I'd heard. If is was an engine damper, is it a big job to change them?

You can do them yourself but it's a PITA. When one of mine goes, someone will be paid to do it! :lol:

Thanks again for the suggestions :)

I've searched about to see what the engine mount looks like, then popped the bonnet and took a wee look. I got right in and everything was looking ok, nothing looked or felt loose.

I was then taking another general look about when I spotted something on the manifold (at least I think that's what this bit is called):

wtf-1.jpg

View from the top:

wtf-2.jpg

A rogue screw!

I've retrieved it:

wtf-3.jpg

It's 2" long and about 1/4" diameter.

I'm slightly concerned about a screw sitting in there. I haven't noticed it before, but then I'm only really under the bonnet to check the fluids. I had a good look about, there are various screw holes but none of them that look like they are missing a screw. Also I couldn't spot another screw that looked like this one. I'm kinda stumped as to where it could have come from :confused:

I'm gonna go out for a spin now to see if I can hear any difference.

The screws for the cover are twice as long as that. Not sure where thats came from :confused:

I dont think you would be able to hear that over the engine at full chat though would you?

No, just two big ones. Like the one that was found, can't really remember how long they are though.

Hmm, don't think I've ever had one of those covers. I wonder why it was removed, I have wondered about the two screw holes that were on a bracket on top of the manifold, my conclusion was that they were for a JRSC as I'd heard it just "bolted on".

After retrieving the screw I went out for a spirited drive. There is definitely some sort of noise that kicks in while in vtec. It's faint, but there. I know someone with a K20A in his Lotus 340R :twisted: . I'm gonna drag him out to see if he can hear it (bit of a sanity check really, make sure I'm not going mad and imagining this noise).

But I think a trip to the dealers will definitely be order :(

I have wondered about the two screw holes that were on a bracket on top of the manifold, my conclusion was that they were for a JRSC as I'd heard it just "bolted on".

The JRSC doesn't simply "bolt on" mate, you get a complete new inlet manifold with it.

From the looks of it the last owner removed the manifold cover and left the screw there ;)

Back