• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tar spots

Neily03

Professional Hippy
Anyone else finding masses of tar spots on their cars this winter? I swear mines got more on it these last couple of months than I'd normally see in an entire summer! :evil:

Couldn't bring myself to do it all so got it all off the drivers side yesterday. Going to do a side each time I wash it. :)

Too windy and cold over here to clean the car. I may try tomorrow.

I layered some Collinite and Jet Seal on back in October and just foamed over the winter, I'm interested in how this regime has held up to road dirt. :)

There is some stuff called Tardis that should help you get rid quickly Hippy.
I think it's due to the roads having patch repairs from the cold weather tbh.

There is some stuff called Tardis that should help you get rid quickly Hippy.

I've been using AG Tar remover but with a trigger spray on it, works a treat, just spray the whole side, leave for a few minutes and wipe off and apply some SPR. Hard work in this weather though....

I've been using AG Tar remover but with a trigger spray on it, works a treat, just spray the whole side, leave for a few minutes and wipe off and apply some SPR. Hard work in this weather though....

My suggestion was literally to use AG Tar remover but on a trigger spray. It works so much better that way.

Another vote for Tardis also another couple of good ones WD40 works a treat, and mayonnaise........ never tried it but heard quite a few reports.

I used a handheld steam cleaner last year to remove the tar spots, Tedious.

I use clay bar for tar removal, I find it makes quite light work of it but it does require you wax or whatever afterwards which is never a 5 minute job.

I wouldn't say it's good on alloys but it does work, my alloys are a disgrace though thanks to previous owner so it's probably a bit more than a claybar can handle on my alloys!

Autosmart Tardis on wheels works a treat.
It is miles better than the Autoglym stuff.

I de-tarred a black BMW 3-series with AG tar remover on one side and it was hard work.
My mate came round with a bottle of tardis sprayed the other side, left it a couple of minutes and wiped it completely clean.

Needless to say, following weekend i popped round to me local Autosmart rep and picked up a gallon. :lol:

I de-tarred a black BMW 3-series with AG tar remover on one side and it was hard work.
My mate came round with a bottle of tardis sprayed the other side, left it a couple of minutes and wiped it completely clean.

Spraying it on is the key. I fitted the trigger spray off an AG interior shampoo onto the AG Tar Remover, just spray on wipe off. :)

Spray AG tar remover ftw. Although Tardis is so good.

Claying wheels is fine. I do it on cars if I've not done the car before.

Tar over this winter has been due to the repared roads cracking and throwing up so much more tar. Thoroughly wash the prone areas every wash and you'll be fappy.

Back