• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TDi North's 2010 Time Attack Challenger

Knockhill looks a very tough circuit :eek: Blind crests and camber changes!

Love the sound of the jackson on the EP :cool:

whats Daves chances at Brands. Gt a little bet with the mini guys that they will get beat, but they have something up their sleeve.
any inside info please appreciated.

We'll be up there with Regal who will be running there VXR corsa int he event. should be a good day.

should be closer i reckon at Brands, it's downhill or flat straights and no uphill climbs like Oulton or Knockhill.

Should be good and i've had my supercharger bolts uprated so i'm hoping there are no more dnf's for me.:D

Here's Dave from Knockhill

dtkh.jpg

For Brands we will make the brakes work properly - Dave was loosing a lot of time in Scotland - Julian will confirm how early he was having to brake because of spongy pedal and juddering - thanks to HEL/STOPTECH and ABP for fixing that one.

We will also be taking up the rev limit back to normal now we have an oil cooler and new injectors. So far we have been running a restricted 400 BHP, now we are not playing and Dave has got used to to 4/5 power - its time to give it some.

I don't see any problems with the minis, they might get where we were, but we are going somewhere else! Bo was out today practicing in the VXR - he's the threat and sadly, a decent bloke.

Seano

Last edited by a moderator:
It was hugely hot at Brands today and we failed to manage heat problems resulting in a blown engine. We were actually in quite a strong position for a reasonably comfortable class win with Marco having had transmission problems.

I don't know quite what happened and in what sequence - I'm still trying to make sense of the data logs. Certainly the extreme heat caused us to loose 4PSI boost. The exhaust gas temp suddenly went sky high and the flexi in the 2->1 started blowing. Meanwhile the inlet air temps shot up and the engine went in catastrophical thermal spiral of doom. Dave didn't have anyway of knowing the nature of the problem and rightly carried on through a misfire to return to the pits.

Not sure of the damage until we rip the head off, but it doesn't feel good. From the state of the plug tips she was knocking her tits off too on the last lap (there was only 1 knock event logged in the first two sessions).

Sadly thats probably us out for the the rest of the season. The heat caused a lot of car damage today and although my bill will be high, the bills for some of the Evo lads will be much, much higher.

Julian was struggling with the heat too but he made it to the final - his boost dropped to 6 PSI - it was hot and bloody brutal today.

Sorry Guys - I fear the title will be going to Bo and his VXR this year.

There's a certain irony in a turbo car and Jackson car coping with heat better than a ROTREX car.

Seano

Yes it was a really stupidly hot day out there. Crazy temps. Everyone was having problems.
My heart sank when I saw Dave pull into pits and coasting to the garage. The lap before it sounded like a tractor dur to manifold. It was just a mad day.
Julain was also suffering from the Jackson charger getting quite hot, so everyone in the pit ( incl me ) was on towl and fan duty!

Some of the Evo's and most of the FORDS were also struggling with the heat.

A very testing time for everyone.

Hope the engine is not to badly damaged Sean. It was good seeing everyone again dispite the final outcome.

Sorry to hear that the car won't be fixable for the remainder of the series.

The heat was a major killer: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_latest_weather.html

About half way down the page, highest temp in Britain 30.9 degrees in Gravesend, only a stones throw from Brands.

So air temperatures that high, i'd hate to see the track temps, maybe 10-15 degrees hotter! :eek:

Good luck with the car Seano, i will be getting pics up that I took this evening, and I think I got a few of the TDi car :)

Bad news mate if that puts you out:(

Absoloutely killer heat and not good for the engines at all, i'm just glad to have my car in 1 piece after spinning on that oil and how the Buddyclub car missed me i still don't know, i braced for impact and it never came i think there were a few inches to spare:eek:

If its that hot at Cadwell i'm not even bothering as the smae problems will occur, i will just do Snetterton at the end of the year.

Started off a great day and just got worse but thats how it goes sometimes i suppose.:mad:

Unfortanatly that's racing sometimes . Gotta take the rough with the smooth.
Keep ya chin up buddy, your doing really well. Hang in there as they say.

Just keep singing that song by D:ream "Things can only get better" , if nothing else it keeps your mind occupied from thinking to much.

I don't see any problems with the minis, they might get where we were, but we are going somewhere else!
Seano

Sorry Seano, but we couldn't resist! :twisted:...

KISSMYSfromTeamMT.jpg

... But now we've read your latest news we're gutted to hear you might not make the next two rounds.:(

Is there no way you can get the engine repaired?

We love the battle with the both you and Julian and now we hear that Julian is shaving the beard off he'll defo be going quicker so we're going to have to up our game for the next two rounds to stay where we are in the championship.

Good luck with the repairs :smt109

Team MT

whats Daves chances at Brands. Gt a little bet with the mini guys that they will get beat, but they have something up their sleeve.
any inside info please appreciated.

We'll be up there with Regal who will be running there VXR corsa int he event. should be a good day.

Don't forget that £20! :D

Attachments

• KISSMYSfromTeamMT..jpg
    KISSMYSfromTeamMT..jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 31
aahh what a frustrating day. The warm up went fine, put a nice steady few laps in and did a 56.2 with ease so I was confident of a low 55 if not 54's for the day but in practice after a couple of laps I noticed the car was sounding louder and we had lost power. Thinking at the time it was just a blowing manifold we went out again in qualifying but it was obvious that some more serious was wrong so I came back round to the pits where the car died on me. Gutted!! On top of this we still had problems with the brakes so all in all it was a bit of a mare. Shame it was so hot for Julian as well as he would have been much quicker i'm sure if the car didn't keep cutting power due to the heat.
Well done to the mini guys you've got to be in it to win it as they say and I could see you were all giving it your all so well done.
With us and Marco out of the points it's now Bo's to loose so good luck to all.

Dave.T.

Don't worry TeamTM - no offence taken, I guess I asked for that.

I honestly believe there is a lot more in the car if we can get it together. Brakes have been a nightmare all season - I reckon we were loosing more than a second a lap at Knockhill and we certainly wern't anything like full power. Last year the car had 440 BHP for the 1st 4 rounds and 490 @ 8.2 for the Snett and was being revved higher than that. This year we have only been a little under 400. There was also a lot of time to be found in the setup too - its never been tested and has only run at the events ie 2.5 days. So I genuinely believe it has the capability to go significantly faster than you have seen so far - hence my statement which has bitten me on the ass. I was quite expecting you guys to get up to to us, but for us to be going 2-3second+ quicker.

Sadly its all down to money - a new motor is 5K and I don't have it.

Seano

Blimey mate 5K! Did id do that much damage!

It's bloody expensive this motorsport lark, it costs enough just to get the car ready and do the 5 rounds without having major breakdowns on top.:(

If the Buddyclub car hadn't had avoided me on that oil spin that would have been me out to for sure.

Well its certainly the head and pistons. Whether there's anything salvageble after that lot has melted and gone through is a open to debate - it hasn't actually seized though.

Even the exhaust has been burnt.

Work on 5K by the time the car is back on the track and you might get a drink out of it - but don't bank on it.

I see from the time attack web site that someone measured the track temperature during the killer session - 45 degrees!

Seano

Wow that's not good. Lets hope after further investigation that its not that much and you can bring it back from the dead.

It certainly was crazy hot that day and we knew it would be tough on everyones cars, but didn't realise the track temp got that high :eek:

Heat has always been a problem on the Cooper S due to the poor positioning of the stock I/C and even the Yellow MINI runing an aftermarket front mount was hitting 55C inlets and the chargecooled ones hitting 75C inlets so to be honest we thought we would be beset by problems too as the MINI's start retarding timing at 50C and above.

We got the tail end of your spin Julian and boy was it close, will try and get the vid up.

Thanks! I know it was so close at that speed it could have written the car off:(

Thank god Paul missed me, he reckoned by a few inches!:eek:

Back