• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 To run in or not?.

Hi guys, this is my 1st post so be easy on me. I’ve been a member of the forum for months and have enjoyed reading up on the type R, and it’s helped me to make decision to order mine which should arrive in 3 weeks

My question is- is there any long term benefit to running the car in for the 1st 500 miles or so?? This is my 1st new car which I plan to keep, all the others have been leased so I didn’t give a hoot.

Thanks,
Hodgy

I would say there is a benefit. Older EP3’s that had been thrashed from new suffered from oil useage that was higher than cars that had been broken in. The majority of manufacturers recommend a running in period, so you may aswell. It’s not going to harm the car and it will allow you to get used to it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mentioned hear before but modern engines it is less important. It is more important how you warm and use the engine than the amount of miles you do in my opinion. Driving 70mph on e motorway for 1000 miles is not going to do your engine any favours, use the revs, change up and down a lot, drive up and down hills as much as you can and build the revs up, certainly the first 500 miles don't go to mad but up to 5500 is fine. I have thrashed the living daylights out after the initial 500 miles.

Just bare in mind bedding the tyres and brakes in, search online for the technique but basically different speeds dropping down to stop, I did mine in the first 100 miles.

But most important allow the engine and oil to heat up before pushing on, unfortunately the Fk8 does not have an oil temp gauge but if it had you would be surprised how long it takes.

BMW advise running in as described above up to 4500 RPM and 1200 miles. The oil change is only for M cars though. The rest go up to 2 years before seeing any new oil depending on how the car is driven and miles covered.

Welcome hodge what colour did you go for?

I went to Cornwall for a week when i got mine so covered off 500 miles easy with lots of varied driving as vtec says but the odd good thrashing in that period as well I don't mind admitting as well. Let it warm up though for sure, water temp to the middle for me before going over 2,500 revs is my rule of thumb

My question is- is there any long term benefit to running the car in for the 1st 500 miles or so?? This is my 1st new car which I plan to keep, all the others have been leased so I didn’t give a hoot.

From what I know, no there isn't. The engines are bedded in at factory before you get anywhere near it.

Only thing that could need to 'bed in' are the brakes really.

Just be sensible though, don't bounce it off the limiter every time you get behind the wheel, let the oil get up to temp before hooning etc.. the usual.

Welcome hodge what colour did you go for?

I went to Cornwall for a week when i got mine so covered off 500 miles easy with lots of varied driving as vtec says but the odd good thrashing in that period as well I don't mind admitting as well. Let it warm up though for sure, water temp to the middle for me before going over 2,500 revs is my rule of thumb

Apologies, not sure if this is how I reply. Thanks guy, I’ve gone for the polished metal metallic as a colour. Appreciated the reply’s, sounds like caution is the best option...... with the odd bit of fun

And that's why they have so many cam chain failures.

I'm not aware of there being a particular issue in recent times with BMW, although I'm not a fan of the variable service common with most manufacturers, as it's a tactic to reduce maintenance costs for fleet owners and screws private owners of older cars out of warranty if issues occur.

From what I know, no there isn't. The engines are bedded in at factory before you get anywhere near it.

Only thing that could need to 'bed in' are the brakes really.

Just be sensible though, don't bounce it off the limiter every time you get behind the wheel, let the oil get up to temp before hooning etc.. the usual.

I have no reference for the Honda FK8 engine, but it is very unusual for a volume engine to be "bedded in" at the factory. The first time they are fired up in anger is usually as they roll off the production line. A very small % of engines produced will be tested, but it's not the norm.

Back