• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Topped up different brand oil

I use synthetic shell helix ultra 5w40.

Just after 2-3 weeks I checked and dipstick was below the minimum mark, so I had a complete hard attack on the spot. I needed to drive so I filled up 5w40 castrol edge (blimin £12 per litre - Asda emergency)

Anyway my question is how damaging is this for the engine? I had no access to shell at that particular time.

So it was either... drive risking it, or fill up different brand.

I don't fancy wasting it and purchasing fresh oil unless it will harm the engine badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar graded oil's are pretty much all the same. Mixing two different branded synthetic 5w40 oils will bear no damage to your engine what so ever, you have nothing to worry about.

I top up with 5w40 Castrol/Shell FS and usually put Millers 5w40 FS in at a service. No problems what so ever mate. Have done for years.

Cheers guys, reason I asked was I googled it and some guys were being anal about different brands. I got nothing to worry about :)

I feared that oil consumption would increase. I switched from semi castrol gtx 10w40 to syntethic 5w40 castrol edge and oil is burning a lot quicker.

I've nearly used a litre in under 2 weeks.

The thicker 10-40 used to last about 1-3 months depending on mileage and vtec

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to top up with around half a litre every four or five hundred miles. It concerned me at first but I guess that's how it is. Still runs amazingly well 5 years / 70,000 miles down the line...

I've always used Mobil 1 0w40 on services (yearly service at Honda, then I change the oil 6 months after the Honda service) and I've not needed to top up the oil for probably the last 3 years.

I've always used Mobil 1 0w40 on services (yearly service at Honda, then I change the oil 6 months after the Honda service) and I've not needed to top up the oil for probably the last 3 years.

Do you vtec much mate? What's your annual mileage?

Vtec will always be used at least once every day, just to make sure the car gets a little clear out lol. My annual mileage is quite low tbh, I think it's around 6-7k. Which may be why I don't use much oil.

Im with you on this have never had to top mine up and I drive it hard, but I change my oil 6 months after my service from Honda, and plus my motor does 6k a year if it's lucky.

Ah fair enough guys. Makes me think, i do need to do oil changes ahead of time as my mileage is nearly double. I do around 15-20,000 a year, and vtec is used almost daily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back