• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Type-R's win Time Attack 2009 FWD and NA class

tp

I'm knackered. Feel totally drained after this weekend!
It's been some journey this year together with Seano (Race dad) Steve Brindle and Paul (Tdi North)

We have taken what was an insurance write-off that Sean brought back for £2000, then beg, stolen, borrowed to keep the car running for the year.

We have driven it to and from every event, some trips being a bit more fraught than others what with damaged driveshafts or bent suspension....but in the end we have done it!

I want to thank everyone for their support and help this year that even at the 11th hour have enabled us to keep getting out there.

Biggest thanks of all has to be to Seano. He has trusted me with his baby....luckily he hasn't seen what I been doing to her on the back of the circuit though!:twisted:

After everything he has been through with that car he deserves to see it doing well and getting some acknowledgement for being "different" and just a bit on the wild side.

After all.......how many cars do you come across with "Form"? The original Carlsberg getaway car as I refer to it. 2x robberies, appearance on CrimeWatch and 2x on BBC 9o'clock news! Then there was the crash that tried to kill it in the 2nd bank job getaway!

The plan was a 2 year one. Just see what we could do this year with the view to preparing a competitive car for 2010.
We now have time to refresh the engine, the heads still the original 90K one, sort the suspension and shed some weight (Car and driver!)

The car already has it in it to go quicker, unfortunately I haven't. I'm up against serious competition where most are running big money cars and drivers are or were race experienced. I am looking into getting my MSA race licence so I can go testing and get some proper driver training. Next year we will see what we can do with a whole team better prepared than mounting a campaign 2 weeks before the first round with a stock car!

For me, I love Time Attack and everything about it. The people, the buzz, the banter. I have done every year so far including the original GT battle together with Sara and Paul Jones. It's something quite special for me to be driving a car competitively that I have mapped. I'm never going to be the quickest out there but I sure am going to have a good time and I don't know how I can top this year having worked on, mapped and driven this car!

Massive well done to Dave. It's what has made it this year for me. We have had some good banter and great battles on track when at times its just been the 2 of us out there!....Did wonder why it wasn't pulling so well in the final, then later found the bungee still under the car you must have attached yourself to me with to get those times! You did really well mate. :cool:

Also another big well done goes to Paul Hughes who won the NA class with his DC5. Some awesome performances this year and a pleasure to be on track with. :cool:

dsc00353small.jpg

I suppose that we should also thank Liz and Maggie for letting us steal the household budgets when required to feed our passion/madness!

Actually Liz deserves a special thanks for driving Baby part of the way down to Snett when TP's legs gave way! Sara's old seat is very safe but she is petite - neither Paul or I are and its an inelegant struggle to get in - God knows how I will manage when we put the FIA cage with door bars in.

It will be tough to defend this Championship, it may be impossible - but that doesn't matter if we are having fun. I always said that if we did well, it would be because we finished every round and kept scoring points even if not winning or the fastest on any given day.

I have a feeling that mini's will be feisty agile little feckers - bring it on!

Seano

Wow ..well done :cool:

Only just caught a glimse of you going down the back straight too, boy were you shifting :twisted:

That's a lovely picture that really sums up the season as both Marco and Antonio do their best to rain on TP's parade as he appears to want to break into the Lambeth Walk.

We had lots of fun with the Italian TA squad, I don't think I ever saw Antonio not smiling despite the problems with his car.

Did result in a certain amount of nudity as TP had to get changed al fresco - luckily it was dark and cold.

Seano

Well now we are planing 2010! There will be big changes but the Spirit remains the same.

We will running the same level of power (around 500 BHP) , but we will be adding more emphasis to braking, lightness and handling to make a more balanced and ultimately quicker race car - the true Type R ethos.

The one thing I will say is that the car will remain road legal (ish) and I intend to drive her to as many events/shows as possible. OK some for some of the long distance rounds we may take a trailer, but in principal she will be driven where practical/sensible. After driving her for a couple of hours, you are quite deaf and leg/ar5e sensation is minimal - that could be age I suppose.

Seano

Back