• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

v power etc.

The main thing I hear from friends when asking if they use V-Power is "well I tried it once and it didnt do owt different".

To me this normally means one of a few things, or sometimes a combination - either the ECU is still trying to figure out there has been a change and is still fine tuning the ignition timing or fuelling, the car is not driven hard enough for the driver to really notice the performance benefit, or the engine has been poorly maintained over it's life.

We are talking in terms of efficiency. When an engine is described as being efficient, this isnt nessecarily to say it doesn't use much petrol. The term efficient is really a ratio between chemical energy in and kinetic energy out.... How much Energy can be produced from a specified amount of fuel.

We all know that almost all modern engines are littered with transducers/sensors which send signals in the form of a voltage back to the ECU. The ECU can process the voltages (normally between 0-1V) and is programmed to make changes elsewhere if these signals are not at their optimum. The system works the same as a PLC-type system where the variety of data inputs determine certain data outputs.

If you consider that for the ECU to change a certain setting, there are quite a few stages before an improvement can be felt. The engine runs -> sensors/transducers produce voltage -> sensors sends signal back to ECU -> ECU processes data -> sends signal to alter fuelling/timing etc -> fuelling/timing physically alters -> sensors/transducers detect the change -> signal sent back to ECU .........And so on. The cycle is continuous from the second the engine runs to the minute it is turned off. If V-Power is put into the tank after the car has been running 95oct fuel for some time, the ECU will start to recieve different input voltages and will try its best to make changes elsewhere until it recieves values closer to its' optimum. It is only when this optimum is reached that the engine will produce more energy than it did previously. I believe that it is these optimum parameters which are altered when an engine is remapped alongside the AF ratios at certain RPM ranges.

Not to mention the added benefits of the detergents which are used in V-Power which cleanse the combustion chamber and burn cleaner than conventional fuels, helping to keep the build-up of carbon deposits to a minimum.

Oh and BTW, no I dont get any money from shell for saying this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely chopping and changing different fuels isn't good?

I stick with the V-power tbh, main reason is pub talk :-D

Other than that, she runs on hopes and dreams.

I always run mine on V Power. Only time I'll put anything else in is if I'm in dire need of fuel and I absolutely have too, and then it's only enough to get me to the closest Shell.

The main thing I hear from friends when asking if they use V-Power is "well I tried it once and it didnt do owt different".
also you have to think if they put it in when there been petrol already in tanks its goin to mix so probally wont feel much benifit untill 2 - 5 refils i might give it a try over this month and see if i can tell difference,
I normally only put in 20L each week unless i go away so still goin to cost under £20 to fill which is good.

if i remember i will let you guys know what i think, but Chr15 supose you got a good point with all the cleaning and being more economical on the burning side of it not actual mpg side of it.

Well up until 2 weeks ago i had (much as it pains me to say it) been running the CTR on normal shell unleaded since i bought it in september time. The honest answer is i refused to pay £1 a litre for fuel doing 500+ miles a week. The car Went well enough on it but i did notice that when you put your foot down at low revs there was almost like a "stepping feeling" as it sorted itself out and then went for it between about 2500 rpm and 3500 rpm. Was sure my old one (altough it is nearly 2 years since i sold it) never did that but i owned it from new and thought it might just be this car.

Since swapping back to V-power this feeling has gone. Also seems to have a slightly more noticable step into Vtec. The best bit is doing the same driving in the same way with very similar weather conditions i get 4-5 mpg more on V-power which means it pays for itself.

This is purely my opinion and findings but it is enough for me to keep buying it again.

What's the difference between Jet/Sainsbos Premium unleaded, and V-Power?

The difference between the premium unleaded fuels and other unleaded fules is the Octane content, I think Shell's V Power has the highest Octane rating of the lot of around 100 ron, therefore giving it the title of most powerful.

HTH

:)

bp - 97RON
v power - 99RON
tesco - 99RON
total - 97RON
esso - 97RON
sainsbury's is bp apprently (In 2004 Sainsbury's struck a deal with BP and it is believed they now supply all of Sainsbury's fuel.)

and the site saying nothing about texaco aother than its super unleaded is higher than 95RON and asda and morrisons use their own brand fuels but they used to trade in shell or texaco

all info was from here http://www.petrolprices.com/about-fuel.html
hope that helps.

And Tesco is way cheaper than V-Power too :cool:

Although i`m sure Tesco SU is 97 RON :-k it is at my local anyway, it says on the pump

Well up until 2 weeks ago i had (much as it pains me to say it) been running the CTR on normal shell unleaded since i bought it in september time. The honest answer is i refused to pay £1 a litre for fuel doing 500+ miles a week. The car Went well enough on it but i did notice that when you put your foot down at low revs there was almost like a "stepping feeling" as it sorted itself out and then went for it between about 2500 rpm and 3500 rpm. Was sure my old one (altough it is nearly 2 years since i sold it) never did that but i owned it from new and thought it might just be this car.

Since swapping back to V-power this feeling has gone. Also seems to have a slightly more noticable step into Vtec. The best bit is doing the same driving in the same way with very similar weather conditions i get 4-5 mpg more on V-power which means it pays for itself.

This is purely my opinion and findings but it is enough for me to keep buying it again.

Same here, stepping feeling at low revs. Doesn't seem to pick up quite as well.

Also after several tanks of 95 vtec is farily none existent compared to with super.

One tank after isn't going to make much difference. I would say to people try a few tanks of vpower. As the difference is graduale until the ecu remaps itself. When you then go back to 95 you will notice the change more then as it's instantly crap.

I notice increase mileage 20-40 miles increase per tank.

well my 1st 30L of Vpower ran tank till orange light came on and filled up with vpower, going to fil up over the month see if i can actually notice any difference. i keep you posted :D

And Tesco is way cheaper than V-Power too :cool:

Although i`m sure Tesco SU is 97 RON :-k it is at my local anyway, it says on the pump

My local Tesco is 97 also. some have 99 for some reason?...

I stick to V-power, unless im desperate and i then i still only put in a fiver

That's epic :eek: .

Must be near the record!!!

Lol, that's quite average to be honest, I did engage Vtec once in the trip (2nd/3rd), the rest was 6th gear 68mph.

It can be great mpg, it's just tooo tempting to nail :rolleyes:

If i'm lucky i'll get 280/300 with mixed driving.

But I bought it to drive it :twisted: .

well I put 15l in my car after the warning light came on, i managed to cover 115miles and the light wasnt on so to my calculations that gives me around 35mpg. This was sitting around 80mph and there was a few v tec moments for some over takes but not full throttle. So as far as i can see its goin to give me an extra 4mpg :)

best i seen has been 31mpg using same method. might not be the most accurate but best i got.

Back