• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vibration/rattling noise at 3-4k? Drive shaft heat shield

TOOK MY HEAT SHIELD STILL MAKING THAT RATTLING NOISE AT 4000RPM, WHAT YOU THINK IT COULD BE?
618px-CapsLock.jpg

Could be the manifold heatshield.

maybe someone can update this thread, that the buzzing noise can come from the manifold heatshield and also the cat heatshield, in my case it was both that had corroded and was loose.

maybe someone can update this thread, that the buzzing noise can come from the manifold heatshield and also the cat heatshield, in my case it was both that had corroded and was loose.

I need to do this over the week end. any pics to help would be awesome!

Mines buzzing its bag off now, I know the cat heatshield is loose so I'll get it taken off when I get my oil done in a week or two.

Can't wait! lol

OP updated as requested.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might also want to add that the I-Vtec cover can rattle/vibrate too, as can the accelerator pedal.

You might also want to add that the I-Vtec cover can rattle/vibrate too, as can the accelerator pedal.

On it :)

I think I'll leave the pedal out as its apparent that it's inside the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and I tried removing the cat heat shield from off the misses's CTR but found it easier to wrap locking wire around the unit as the bolts that secure it in place were so rusty the heads were completely missing. I think a angle grinder is needed to cut it free. :)

All my other heat shields are okay at the moment. I might heat wrap the whole exhaust in the summer. That will be an all day job at the rate I work!

Ive noticed a slight vibration when coming off the accelerator at about 3500-4000 rpm, seems to be coming from underneath the car so will get that looked at this weekend :)

slowly work through your revs till about 3 and a half grand, I bet you get the same noises! taking this thing off has made driving my car so much nicer! I didn't relies how much that noise was getting on my nerves!

slowly work through your revs till about 3 and a half grand, I bet you get the same noises! taking this thing off has made driving my car so much nicer! I didn't relies how much that noise was getting on my nerves!

Mines not really a rattle, more a hummimg vibration so im pretty sure it has to be one of the heat sheilds.

Hi all, please excuse me if i'm posting in the wrong section. I've had this vibration noise for a few months now and it seems to be getting worse, had all the heat shields checked and all seem to be sound, all fixed in placeand no corrosion.The noise is most notable when engine braking at low speed and also have noticed a short screetch when I pull off after driving in the wet almost feels like the clutch is slipping. would be grateful for any help.

Many thanks.

Auxiliary belt tensioner on the way out? Squeal could be the belt slipping?

Back