• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Vtec fails at 8500rpm

Evening all.

I've had my type r 3weeks now and I've got a bit of an issue with it, every time vtec hits 8500rpm it dies of power, I've tried to hit that 9000rpm but it's having none of it.

Can anybody point out what wrong with it, cheers guys.

I don't think so, it's well before the limiter plus it wouldnt drop like it is, it's like iv hit the break it just doesn't feel right.

Last edited by a moderator:
The limiter is at 8,400 unless you've had it remapped.

I don't think so, it's well before the limiter plus it wouldnt drop like it is, it's like iv hit the break it just doesn't feel right.

Red line limit is 8400 on JDM EP3. 8600 on DC5. 8250 on UKDM K20A2. Where the rev counter finishes in number, isn't the limiter.

Cheers guys, it's my 1st vtec wasn't sure about it past car owned have bounced on the limiter this hits 8500rpm then drops back to about 6000rpm, it doesn't have that bounce effect if that makes any sense

Cheers guys, it's my 1st vtec wasn't sure about it past car owned have bounced on the limiter this hits 8500rpm then drops back to about 6000rpm, it doesn't have that bounce effect if that makes any sense

That can happen. When mapping my DC5 and doing launch control, it would hit the limiter and rather than stay there as launch control is supposed to it would cut ignition and let the revs drop all the way down. Even though the throttle was still wide open.

Change gear before hitting the rev limit. You’ll go faster and prevent damage to the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect example of what Dotty was saying recently, right here. :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is classic. Fair play to you for having the balls to bounce that needle! Ive only done it once or twice by accident when changing gear too late on an overtake.

This is classic. Fair play to you for having the balls to bounce that needle! Ive only done it once or twice by accident when changing gear too late on an overtake.
Think we've all done that haha! Mines hit the limiter a fair bit over the years, but never just for the sake of it or to try and hit 9k rpm; though I did once drop down a gear too early and had an over rev event, luckily no damage!

Half the fun of having my EP3 and FN2 was habitually hitting the limiter just for a split second
Every time I went out in it.

5 years of ownership and never had a problem, as long as the engines warm I say crack on :)

Back