• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

WHAT A P##S TAKE!!!

I sent pages of mods to my insurance company for my last car!

^ This.

I've declared everything on mine, right down to the non OEM spec bulbs.

This year was also the cheapest year so far to insure any of my CTRs, but finding the right company that understood the mods was a factor in that.

Everything that isn't OEM on my car is declared.

You can't compare driving illegally with invalid insurance with adding a parent as a named driver, apples and pears spring to mind. End of the day, if you don't want to pay or can't afford to pay with ALL mods declared then you shouldnt mod the car.

I think adding a parent to deliberately mislead your insurance company and rob them of hundreds of pounds is a bigger deal than not declaring a pair of wind deflectors. But congratulations for being 100% legit :cool:

Declaring my AP Racing brakes reduced my premium.

true-story-thumb.jpg

Declaring my AP Racing brakes reduced my premium.

true-story-thumb.jpg

So it makes sense that they figured your cars ability to stop is now greater. But I thought they are suspicious of any aftermarket mods that could potentially cause faults/breaksdowns or otherwise compromise safety. Do they just keep increasing your premium if you add irrelevant mods like wind deflectors or w/e, or would they just make a note of it without amending the premium?

Insurance computers are powered by PFM.

Pure ****ing Magic

Nobody can answer that question.

The only thing you can do is declare EVERYTHING that isn't standard!

Adding a parent/named driver is not illegal.

Having somebody elses name as the policy holder (i.e, your mum) and then you being a named driver, but you using it as the main driver is illegal however.
It's called fronting.

So it makes sense that they figured your cars ability to stop is now greater. But I thought they are suspicious of any aftermarket mods that could potentially cause faults/breaksdowns or otherwise compromise safety. Do they just keep increasing your premium if you add irrelevant mods like wind deflectors or w/e, or would they just make a note of it without amending the premium?

Depends on the insurance company.

Winddeflectors could be seen as a potentially damageable/easily stolen so add a premium. Others might just :lol: at you and say would you like to declare the contents of your ashtray while you're at it?

I declared everything I did to mine that replaced anything standard, including all carbon. Insurance was circa £700 IIRC.

That was running 314bhp.

Moved north from a stupid safe/low risk postcode to what is clearly considered the event horizon of a blackhole. Insurance doubled.

Does everyone declare that they have none oem tyres? what about oil? if you're worried about socks being declared.

I agree with 501 to a point. For me common sense, what if you bought a car and had no idea it was lowered 20mm on springs. That mod wouldn't be declared....

Im not saying to not declare mods im just saying not declaring some wind deflectors isn't the end of the world and surely doesnt make you a complete c@nt?!

Jord, as long as the tyres are in spec then no you don't need to declare them. As an example I think you'll find however if you fit tyres of a lower speed rating from OEM you'll have invalidated your insurance.

Winter tyres however you should declare them, but they should not increase your premium. Not all mods increase your premiums.

It boils down to whether the insurance company decides to cover you if you haven't declared mods. If the car gets stolen, they recover it and it has something on it that makes it stand out from another car in effect making it more attractive to a thief, be it wheels, a wing, tints or wind deflectors, they'll use it as a reason not to pay out.

With regards to whether it makes you chunt, if I get hit by someone with undeclared mods and their insurance refuses to pay out stating that they invalidated their insurance, then yes they are a chunt.

If the car gets stolen, they recover it and it has something on it that makes it stand out from another car in effect making it more attractive to a thief, be it wheels, a wing, tints or wind deflectors, they'll use it as a reason not to pay out.
The thieves modded it :D I recall a story where a guy recovered his stolen EP3 and it had like a grands worth of new mods on it :p

The thieves modded it :D I recall a story where a guy recovered his stolen EP3 and it had like a grands worth of new mods on it :p

All stolen no doubt. :rolleyes:

Cars are stolen for four things in general, to strip for parts, to rag about in by gangs (commonly known as a pool car :lol: ), specifically for a job so it's not traceable and finally to order be cloned or moved out of the country.

Unless the car is gone for a few days you'd have a hard time arguing that that BGW on the back was put on by the thieving scum if at all.

That story probably came about from someone trying to get away with undeclared mods to be honest. ;)

I'm pretty much sure i've declared everything on mine, never thought of declaring tyres or non OEM bulbs though.

Plus if you're on a forum and use an insurer that is (sky for example) they can easily check if you're lying from posts like this and therefore void your insurance.

I've had my old dear on for a few years (can't remember if she stilll is even) and she's driven it once maybe twice. It's there if she needs it as it's not a daily driver. Providing they do not live at a completely different address then that isn't a problem imo.

flux are fine. they are a broker rather than insurance company. it's the company they put you with that matters.

dave unless you plan on, or have a track record of crashing i would always advocate going with the cheapest possible company around.

I agree in a way, but i would always go with a reputable insurer incase i do need to claim. Alot of the cheaper companies wont cover or understand modifications.

Back