• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

WHAT A P##S TAKE!!!

true. you checked out admiral they're always dirt cheap for german cars. don't know about them and hondas though.

I'll just add this. I have all mods declared on my EP3.

However, in my younger (and stupid) days when I was the owner of a 318IS, I modified it lots. I crashed (my fault) and wrote it off. The insurance man came and inspected it I had mtec alloys, M3 suspension, clear indicator lenses, aftermarket backbox & an aftermarket intake. It also had illegally bald front tyres (the reason I crashed - lesson learnt).

Each and every one of those mods (and the bald tyres) should have invalidated my insurance. They paid out and didn't say a word about any of it. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe the inspector didn't have a clue what he was looking for.

congratulations on getting away with the CU30s for the bald tyres too. credit due on that one.

I phoned my insurance (A-Plan) to declare my mods.

Premium went down by £80. (Declaring K100, intake, exhaust, suspension, brakes, etc).

They said because I spend my hard earned on putting bits on the car, I'm more likely to have a fresh set of decent tyres, have it well maintained, care more for it and not want to stack it into a hedge.

That's how it should be.

That's what green light said to me. The think you will drive slower and take more care of your car!

They then refuse the claim from the third party's family stating you weren't insured.

Late to the party, but that statement is inaccurate. Even if your insurance turns out to be invalid due to modifications, they cannot ignore their responsibilities to a 3rd party claim in the event of an accident.

You'll be left swinging in the wind, mind...damaged car, no money and some serious legal difficulties to deal with. The insurers might well also choose to chase you for the payout afterwards.

Remember - invalid insurance is NOT the same as NO insurance. Neither of them is a good idea though. I'm slightly surprised Sky didn't pick up on that point seeing as they liked the original post :-s

Last edited by a moderator:
Late to the party, but that statement is inaccurate. Even if your insurance turns out to be invalid due to modifications, they cannot ignore their responsibilities to a 3rd party claim in the event of an accident.

You'll be left swinging in the wind, mind...damaged car, no money and some serious legal difficulties to deal with. The insurers might well also choose to chase you for the payout afterwards.

Same out come then, just a company with more money and resources doing it rather than the persons family.

I know it's comparing one form of insurance with another, but take house building insurance. In filling out the form you declare that the building is in a good state of repair, much like you state it is unmodified or all mods are declared.

If it turns out it isn't, a wall collapses and kills someone, do you think the insurance still pays out third party? Possible that they do, but then will refuse to pay for said wall repair and take you to the cleaners?

There was a lot more in that post around VOSA check points, so maybe Sky didn't pick up on my gaff.

Back