• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

what engine oil?

After just buying mine I carried out a big service changing all fluids, filters brakes etc I used an engine flush just out of peace of mind so I know it should be good on the inside as well as the outside :). Unless you know the person who owned the car before you then you never know they could have put cheap, crap oil etc in but a flush isn't a necessity, the engines are super reliable. I just thought if your mixing grades of oil it may be useful to do that. As for brands I use Castrol.

I am going to give some 0W40 ago next week, partly because it cost me nothing (Mobil 1 0W40 fully synth')

I'm currently using 0W-40 Castrol edge fs in mine, supposed to be a better winter oil as it keeps more of it's viscosity in cold temperatures. Some people have said the oil is too thin but I haven't experienced any issues with it.

After a visit to local Honda today regarding a Vtec issue, they say, they use Castrol 0w30 and my Vtec not engaging could be due to me using 5w40 when recently serviced as previous owner used 0w30 and Vtec worked fine before service.

Not sure how true that is or if anyone else has had a similar problem.

After a visit to local Honda today regarding a Vtec issue, they say, they use Castrol 0w30 and my Vtec not engaging could be due to me using 5w40 when recently serviced as previous owner used 0w30 and Vtec worked fine before service.

Not sure how true that is or if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Was it fully synthetic?

Utter nonsense.

5w40 is perfect.

10w60 will be fine

0w30 will be fine

5W40 IS PERFECT THOUGH.

Chris05ep3 it certainly was fully synthetic. Walkden didn't sound true to me either. But can't explain why Vtec no longer engaging. Will strip solenoid out on weekend and clean it just in case. Although the guy at Honda did say you may want to give iota tap as sometimes they can stick. Not too sure how true that is.

Only had the car for a couple of months so all new to me.

well if it was fully synth, it shouldnt be the oil, the the only problems ive ever heard of with vtec not engaging is if its not fully synth.

Chris05ep3, it doesn't make any sense, TGM done the service for me, so all pukka parts and lubes used. Can't fault the level of service Tom done made some good recommendations for upgrades. Had the plugs changed as the fitted ones had seen better days. So some nice Irdiums in it now. Had the gearbox oil changed at the same time as the engine oil.

Don't get me wrong, car pulls all the way to the 8k limit but you don't get the surge or change in engine note at 6k any longer.

I phoned Honda and asked them about oil as the books that I had that came with the car suggested Castrol Longtec 0-30 fs (this apparently has changed to Castrol edge). I enquired about this and the guy at Honda said they used to use Mobil 1 oil but changed back to Castrol professional series as they feel it's a better oil to use. He told me when they carry out a service they use Castrol professional 10-30 semi synthetic. I told him about what it said in my booklet and that I was thinking about either 5-40 fs or 0-40 fs and he said they use semi to cut down on costs and if you can afford to put either 5-40 or 0-40 fully in it won't harm the engine and it will perform a little better. So I used 0-40 fully in mine and have had no issues.

As above check for oil pressure issues as oil pressure plays a part in the vtec system.

Chris05ep3, hoping to check the solenoid today, failing that, a visit back to TGM to get a proper going over by people who know what to look for and what they are doing. Not saying I'm mechanically inept, but a couple of hours of me scratching my head could be a 5 min solution for these guys.

the the only problems ive ever heard of with vtec not engaging is if its not fully synth.

Sorry dude but that's rubbish. The engine can't tell if it's fully synth or semi synth. Some dealers put semi synth in, others fully synth, and i've NEVER heard of VTEC not engaging due to someone running semi synth. Fully synth is recommended due to a higher level of protection and performance, it has nothing to do with vtec engagement.

Sorry dude but that's rubbish. The engine can't tell if it's fully synth or semi synth. Some dealers put semi synth in, others fully synth, and i've NEVER heard of VTEC not engaging due to someone running semi synth. Fully synth is recommended due to a higher level of protection and performance, it has nothing to do with vtec engagement.
no worries bud i stand corrected! i shall kick the mechanic that told me that in the Rollocks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back