• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Which Type R should I get?

He folks, a newbie here!

I'm currently looking for a new car to get in the coming few months. The main non-Honda contenders are an Audi TT or a VW Lupo GTi (I'm coming from the dub scene).

But looking at the Jap stable makes me highly consider jumping ship! I've got a budget of £5-6k and I'm so tempted to get into a Type R - I love the idea of vtec so you can push on and use the rev range when in the mood or get [semi] decent fuel economy if not.

I'd hope to modify the car asthetically but to be honest I probably won't do much to the engine bar a filter and exhaust as it's going to be a daily. I'll be doing around 7k a year - mostly town driving to and from work.

The main contenders are either an EK9 or an EP3 Type R. I'd love an EK9 but I think there is quite a high scene tax on them basically as they are still a lot of money! The interior is my favourite bit to be honest and the driving position is immense (my friend used to have an EJ9).

An EP3 may provide me with a better day to day car, but can look and be special too? Perhaps an EP3 to start then save for an EK9 project? :lol: Or better yet an ITR powered EJ9 :twisted:

I was just wondering if you folks would be able to advise me as to what you think would be best or tell me about your experiences?

I did consider a UKDM ITR but from what I have read they are likely going to be too rattly and raw for what I need from a daily. Massive respect to them though!

I did consider a UKDM ITR but from what I have read they are likely going to be too rattly and raw for what I need from a daily. Massive respect to them though!

Find one for sale and take it for a test drive, if it's a good one (which your budget should get you) you'll be surprised.

I will certainly do that. I looked into the JDM models too but for the marginal power gain I would rather have the UK model which is a lot cheaper for me to insure for some reason and in my opinion looks better!

On a side note, how is/was that S2000? I've read they are quite snappy? I fancy a convertible at some point, considering an Eunos/MX5 as a track project next year.

As for the civics, any other thoughts?

You wont get a S2000 for 5k though.

A EP3 CTR will be a early very used one at best.

For your budget id get a UKITR, still a good car I just dont think it looks as good as the JDM.

Yup the S2k is out of budget this time round.

How do you define 'very used'? I'd be looking for one at around 80k or below, is that too much for the engine or car? How high can mileages go on the EP3?

The K20 (EP3 engine) will go for ever mate as long as looked after, when I say used, I mean getting a CTR for 5k will be a cheap one, so dont expect a minter thats all, unless you get lucky and find someone that HAS to get rid of one quick, this does happen.

Have a quick sniff around pistonheads, see what the market is like.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I was hoping the engines would be sturdy. What sort of areas would likely be weaker on the cheaper ones?

I have a good friend who is a mechanic who can help and do pretty much anything I need to it so I was planning to just get it mint by replacing any worn parts, touching up scratches in the bodyshop and giving it a proper service and oil change.

Then I would look for a fast road set up and exhaust.

What about an ATR? Nice and comfy to drive (I just got back from 2.5k miles round Europe in mine) and you will get a pretty good example of an 01/02 car for that money.

Just throwing in something else for you to think about :D

I had a look at the Accord as they seem to get good reviews but they just arn't for me! Thanks for the input though and if I did high mileage I'd be after a bigger car like that too.

Right now after some research my budget looks to be able to get me an 80k pre-facelift Type R from small car garages which offer HPI certificates, part exchange, warranty etc. I'll hunt for an AC model as I enjoy it.

I have been warned that some civics have red insets on the front seats but all grey rears? Also that as standard the spec is very low to keep costs down?

Strangely I seem to be attracted to the silver ones the most which is unusual for me as I don't normally like silver cars. Red being the other contender as I've always wanted a red car and indeed EP3.

Any thoughts on this?

Back