• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Which Type R should I get?

Milano Red, unfortunately does fade, which as a matter of fact, was my oringal first choice when I was choosing.

I went for Night Hawk Black, which is nice and I still think I made the right choice for me.

I do look at teh Comic Grey's though with a found gaze, and this would have been my second choice given the oportunity again, maybe even my first.

Least of my fav's but still a excellent looking car is the Satin Silver, for no real reason apart from it does't look as good as the others.

Choose wisley Luke......

Is the fade really bad?

Looks like it will be silver for me then!

I'm not sure on the black, I've had a couple of black cars in a row now so I fancy a change. I've always preferred the brighter colours on the CTR.

Is the fade really bad?

Only when its put next to a newer one or you get something resprayed.

With your budget a Milano may have a bit of fade, but a good detail and a some TLC would bring it back to a decent standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been warned that some civics have red insets on the front seats but all grey rears? Also that as standard the spec is very low to keep costs down?

Red inserts on the seats are the facelift models and yes they do have the same grey rears as the pre-facelift cars. They also benefit from red door cards too that the pre-facelift cars don't have:

Facelift (mine):
b9fa_3.jpg

Pre-facelift:
mediaid912329752.jpg

Facelifts also have different front and rear lights, a lighter flywheel and they fiddled with the steering so it's supposed to give more feedback, though that last one is debatable.

As to equipment it depends on how people spec'd them up when they bought them. There were options for Nav, fogs, electric pack with front door tweeters and 6 CD in dash changers, A/C.

I'm not into the JDM 'teg I'm afraid! Thinking a CTR may be a better daily than the EK/DC2.

On a side note, if I got an EP3 for £5-6k and added some serious TLC to get it mint a year or two down the line how much would F/I be?

I saw on ebay a stage one kit for a few grand, I can get it fitted for free so surely that would make an £8k pocket rocket?! Maybe I won't need that boxster/M3 next after all!

Looks like a good one but I don't have cash ready for a purchase yet!

Has anyone had/driven a TT/S3 or similar that can compare to the Type R?

Yup, i got one of the early TTs for my wife 3 years ago. We had to get rid of it after 1 year as it was so unreliable. It was okay to drive, but nothing to write home about. She's now got an MX5 and i have to say it's far better to drive although slower than the TT and laughably slow compared to driving the EP3.

Like you i had been a dub man before i bought my first EP3. I have to say the build of the Honda doesn't feel as sturdy but it's still quality and i've never heard a single rattle (apart from the easily fixed heat shield), the engines are great and the drive is fantastic. I use my cars every day doing around 15K miles a year and i have no problems other than general wear.

I've never driven the S3 but is it not the same 1.8T engine as the TT and Golf Mk4 tuned slightly different with a higher pressure turbo? If so i'd stay well clear, that engine is ****. That engine was the main reason for me moving to Honda.

Yup well I've been put off the TT by a couple of people with similar stories so it is looking increasingly likely that I'll be going Jap with my next purchase!

Ford -> VW -> Honda seems like a nice progression :)

Thinking a pre-facelift EP3 in Silver with AC. Around 60-70k with FSH.

What is the name of the special editions both pre and post facelift?

What is the name of the special editions both pre and post facelift?

Pre-face lift special edition is the 30th Anniversary Edition. Comes with JDM style recaros, red carpet, window tints on back and a sticker in the back window.

These run a premium above a standard pre-facelift as they are rarer. They made 300. 100 Milano, 100 NHB, 100 Satin.

Post facelifts are the Premier Final Edition. Usual facelift changes but with JDM style Recaros except in red and black instead of just red. Seats look similar to the facelift JDM seats, red carpet, window tints on the back and Type R logo on the brake calipers.

These were the last run of EP3s so are reasonably new and so are still quite expensive compared to some facelifts you can pick up...

I'm sure some-one will add if I've missed anything out. :smt023

Ahh ok, so an ideal car would be a 30th Anniversary but they are still retailing for over £7k which is out of budget unfortunately.

The red interior is very nice, I will keep my eyes on ebay and the like in the hope of getting one :)

Estimating a 52 pre-facelift plate Silver CTR with AC and 60k miles for £5.5k. That is the hopeful plan anyway, just got some saving and waiting to do.

Has anyone got any pictures of modified silver EP3's?

Went on a road trip today to a garage about 20 miles away which apparantly had a silver pre-facelift and a black post-facelift EP3 but sadly the silver one was sold
sad.gif

However, the guy at the garage basically handed me the keys to the black one (facelift, 54 plate, 66k) and let me take it for a blast down a few of the country lanes! Steering is light as mentioned but my God, coming from 100bhp saloon to a 200bhp hatch was intense! Stretched the legs of it nicely and it put the biggest smile on my face
laugh.gif

The actual car was quite tatty though which I didn't like but at least it gave me a shot of a vtec based car. I felt at home back in a hatch and the seat was comfy, although maybe not as much as in the EK shape Civic. I noticed the 'cheapness' of the interior but quite frankly I don't mind, I'll find a clean one and make sure and keep the interior in good condition so as to reduce that feeling.

The feeling of space inside was weird, loads of room in the back, loads of room up front and a massive boot. Th egearstick on the dash was unusual and didn't feel as chunky and clunky as I'd have liked but I have a feeling that that was down to the specific car.

Plenty fast enough for what I need, it scared the crap outta me
smile.gif

I felt at home back in a hatch and the seat was comfy, although maybe not as much as in the EK shape Civic.

The old Type R seats are a bit naff compared to the special Editons Recaro's.

Glad you enjoyed.

The car comes more alive when you get less scared of it and used get used to driving it properly.

It's no super charged fast car by any means but the longer you have it the quicker it gets. Like any car I suppose, but felt even more so with the Civic.

Yea it's not a supercar by any means but still a mammoth step up the car ladder for me! After my stint in one today I'd definitely say that anything more extreme would maybe be a bit much in one go!

I just need to save up a bit of cash then find an unabused example, as mentioned the one today was a bit tatty all round. I'm not expecting miracles but something cleaner will be needed!

I'm back on this again. After serious consideration I'm still confused as to which to go for.

I came up with this:

My GF has a new Fiesta Zetec S which is a decent town car. We use one car between the two of us on a day to day basis (we work near each other so car pool).

Between the two cars we will likely do 6-7,000 miles a year.

I want my car to be a fun car which can be tracked, not sure how often I will track it but I'd like it to be possible (reason I ruled the TT out!).

For these reasons I've began to lean from the EP to the EK9 as I get the red interior I really want and a bit of street 'cool' exclusivity. Plus people seem to go on about how the UKDM EP3 isn't a real Type R.

Anyone have any more thoughts? The main issue for me is if an old car is worth new car money!

Back