• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

White gunk in oil

it sounds like short journey business. bmw's are notorious for that. take it for a long run and monitor the coolant levels for a while.

it sounds like short journey business. bmw's are notorious for that. take it for a long run and monitor the coolant levels for a while.

Really Ross? Hmmm, maybe using the car to go to work in isn't such a good idea then.

what i mean is that the bmw are notorious for getting that gunk on the oil filler cap on the inside, condensation from short journeys. i didn't mean that you'll get head gasket issues from them old boy.

if its creamy water then its head gasket, but if its just a little gunk on the cap then its just condensation mate, Clean it and let it warm up to temperature!!

Nice! Very good news. I would have been surprised if it was the gasket as I have also heard they are supposed to be pretty strong.

They are very strong engines mate!! Chain driven too which is a big bonus, no cambelts too worry about!!

Just checked the coolant, and it is low, very low! Though I have no idea when it was last checked... I am about to fill it up but starting to fear the worst! Does anyone know how much a new head gasket is likely to set me back?

get a compression test done before you start fearing the worst.

with the cold weather people have been having problems with the header tanks cracking, or connections between pipes cracking, corroding etc, so you might have a hairline crack in the cooling system somewhere.

Though the gunk in the oil is returning daily, so it must be coolant seeping in there somehow I presume?

Far from it! I will be getting it checked next week, but it couldn't come at a worse time.

As I said earlier in this thread, and as Rossy says above, get a compression test done. A test doesn't cost much to have done.

Continuing from the sound advice of Rossy and Chris, if it fails a compression test, to be honest a new gasket is not likely to be the easy fix for the issue either.

Get is tested first. Then look at the options. If the head is warped, you are looking at skimming or replacement.

sounds like your having a bit of a problem, does sound like head gasket to me , which is very suprising , but im no qualified mechanic as for the aem have you considered getting a hydroshield for it?

Minimum £500 incl labour I would have thought. Skimming head and all manner. :(

Fingers crossed that it isn't though.

I very much doubt its the HG.

As said previously in the thread, take it for a long drive and then check. Should be no gunk then!

Back