• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Will these pass the MOT

I have had adjustable camber arms and bolts fitted to my ep3 and set up to original Honda spec. Am waiting fo FRSU. When fitting my AEM CAI i removed the wheel and noticed the inside tread on the front tyres is almost bald (down to the way i go around roundabouts i think). But the rest of the tyre tread looks fine. Will theses fail MOT? Cant really afford new tyres

both the front tyres. Back ones are fine. There not bald but hardly any tread on the inside edge. The whole top circumfrance of the tyre has loads of tread

Are you certain that you haven't already got a FRSU, because the signs of a FRSU tend to be balding on the inside of the tyres due to the amount of negative camber employed to improve the cars handling? Perhaps the camber arms and bolts haven't actually been set-up, or the way they were fitted have resulted in negative camber, without actually being set-up?.. If any of that, or this makes sense :D

I don't think spirited roundabouts is enough to bald the inside of the tires and I wouldn't have thought that Honda's tolerances would result in that much negative camber to only have a balding impact on the inside of the tyres.

It seems to me as if the tyres are sitting like this / - \ To what degree I don't know, but continued abrasion on the inside of the tyres will result in the wear you have.

Disclaimer: Whilst I'm no expert and could be wrong - I'm waiting on my springs, which will be fitted and coupled with an FRSU, thus I have been making my own enquiries into all of the advantages and disadvantages of going for it. Hope that helps. :D

The thing is, where the tread is bald is where the car is using the tyres most, so I reckon these could cause a problem on the MOT - the other parts aren't worn, because the emphasis of the cars weight doesn't take it's toll on the unworn parts of the tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must have at least 1.6mm of tread throughout 3/4 of the width of the tyre to pass the MOT.

+1

If it's only the inside 'shoulder' of the tyre it should be OK, if it's half of the inside thread it will fail.

Sounds like it should pass to me mate as has been said above you require 1.6mm of tread over 3/4 of the width of the tyre throughout the full circumferance of the tyre. So it all depends how far in the balbing section goes into the centre. Take a picture and post it up might be more helpfull for people to answer your question.

Back