• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Window Tint

My car failed MOT today over tints beeing too dark, i bought the car with the tints and they are so light..i couldnt believe if it..i thought he was pulling my leg.. is there any way to test them for darkness myself?

Dont have a clue what he said they were.. Can i test the percentage myself so i can appeal against their decision?

Pretty much any tint on the front side windows will put you over the legal limit as they are already tinted.

Even the front window came through as 74percent..with no tint.. that must be the factory tint on the window?

Your in Northern ireland right? if so correct me if i am wrong but isn't it the very same MOT that we have just that it is specific places (VOSA test centres) rather than a normal garage? I take it you have (or had) aftermarket tints on the front windows?

If i am telling you what you already know then i am sorry but the rules are no more than 30% tint (ie it must let 70% of the light through) on the front side windows and 25% (ie must let 75% through) on the windscreen. As most factory fitted glass already has the maximum on the windscreen and the same level on the side windows it is difficult to get film which tints any more whilst keeping within the law.

Unfortunatly as it is a VOSA test centre and they make the rules you have very little comeback. They also, i beleive, have the test equipment so can get a accurate reading rather than that of the rest of the UK where it is purely on the MOT testers judgement.

Ive heard that you can (not sure how true this is) have limo tints all round, bar the windscreen, and they wont fail the mot i.e. limo's have them, but they are classed as illegal so the old bill will give you points etc

Back