• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

wow...a simple performance hike in 20 mins!

shadylee

xbox addict
I removed my rear seats,parcel shelf and spare wheel today to make room for a house move,and i cannot belive how much difference its made to the feel of my car!

The car seems to pick up alot faster in any gear from low down revs,also after taking it for a fast drive down my local twisty road the handling has improved rather alot,the front end feels alittle more planted but mainly the turn in and weight shift feels so much sharper.

I never thought the rear seats were that heavy until i took the rear upright bench out! :eek: bloody weighed a ton!

So now there staying out and im now looking at a pair of buddyclub fixed seats to replace the std fronts,

just out of intrest,does anybody know how much the rear seats and wheel add up to in kg? must be at least the weight of 1 person at a guess.

I have my wheel & tools/shelf stuff out. Saves me 2p a week petrol. Makes me think I'm going faster. If I get a puncture my RAC man is going to think I'm a right idiot. I like the deep boot though, more space for my shopping & various other items I sometimes transport.

I have my wheel & tools/shelf stuff out. Saves me 2p a week petrol. Makes me think I'm going faster. If I get a puncture my RAC man is going to think I'm a right idiot. I like the deep boot though, more space for my shopping & various other items I sometimes transport.

sarcasm noted lol,

maybe its just me that thinks it feels different then.Ive not really taken it all out for fuel saving,and i have 2 cans of tyre weld for punctures etc.

Just thought it made a slight improvment,i never have rear passengers anyway and it gives me a good exuse to explain to the missus why i want to fit 2 new bucket seats :twisted:

I have all the interior out on mine plus the carbon bonnet. Total weight is around 50kg and dropped my quarter mile time to 14.2 seconds so does make a difference. Plus mid range against a non stripped CTR with similar mods and it was pulling away easily. Definately worth it next is the front seats as they weigh 64kg in the premier.

I often think of taking my back seats out. My small shed is full, also my loft hatch is small. Plus my family will really start to think I am mad. You never know when you might have an extra 3 passengers. I can just imagine me talking like Warren Fox's adopted brother from Hollyoaks, ''deeerrrr I took the seats out, deeeeer can't take you deeeeerrrr I'm sorry.'' Just leave the poor fit girls stranded on the moors to die of exposure or keep going back & forth all day & night for them? :rolleyes:

I often think of taking my back seats out. My small shed is full, also my loft hatch is small. Plus my family will really start to think I am mad. You never know when you might have an extra 3 passengers. I can just imagine me talking like Warren Fox's adopted brother from Hollyoaks, ''deeerrrr I took the seats out, deeeeer can't take you deeeeerrrr I'm sorry.'' Just leave the poor fit girls stranded on the moors to die of exposure or keep going back & forth all day & night for them? :rolleyes:

emergency blow up bed for such occations........

out of intrest are buddy club seats actually light?

i plan to strip the rear carpet, seats and everything in the rear so its mainly metal, then im going to get the mental thats on show painted to match the outside of the car.

But first i have to get the car lol

I've stripped the interior of an older EJ9 civic in the past and did notice a difference in performance, but granted it was only a 1.4i with around half the power of the EP3. Its quite suprising how much weight is added just by having a rear bench seat. As the 1.4 didn't have a great deal of power to begin with, the benefits of the slight weight reduction could be felt to a greater extent - I'm not so sure I would feel as great an improvement in the EP3 as you rarely use it to its full potential anyway. I didn't remove them because of the performance though - I needed to get a rabbit hutch in my boot and it was the only way, lol.

If you're going to do it, leave both the front seats in so you can at least take one passenger - then at least you won't look like such a loner to other drivers. I once saw a young lad in a corsa in McD's who had just left the drivers seat in there and he looked like a proper muppet....maybe nobody actually wanted to ride with him in his mcfaggot mobile... :lol:

Another thing guys, bear in mind you would need to tell your insurance about it. They won't be too happy if you total the car and then find its been stripped out to improve performance.

I'm seriously condsidering removing the rear seats /parcel shelf from my FN, to make it lighter. Thinking of changing the front Type-R seats to full blown buckets too - but have some concerns over the airbags/sensors etc.. So I need to research it properly, when I've got the money for my seats.

Mrs will think I've gone nuts though, knowing that we just had a daughter :D

emergency blow up bed for such occations........

out of intrest are buddy club seats actually light?

Buddy club seats are very light, 14Kg with rails IIRC and seeing as the Premier seats weigh 64Kg in total it's a huge saving.
I've decided to go with the DC5 seats as that still saves 30Kg on standard weight :)

TypeRiter -

I'm in the same boat - expecting my first little one in April next year. I think I'd best keep the seats as they are for now. The missus has already been hinting that we need a 5door, but I've managed to convince her a 3door will be fine. ;)

Taking the back seats out would be taking the pish though.

TypeRiter -

I'm in the same boat - expecting my first little one in April next year. I think I'd best keep the seats as they are for now. The missus has already been hinting that we need a 5door, but I've managed to convince her a 3door will be fine. ;)

Taking the back seats out would be taking the pish though.

Congratulations bud, I hope it all goes well :D

I have an Almera available to me, which is why I'm clinging onto my Type-R :twisted:, but the word modding, drives a barmy some! So I have to go about my mods quietly, and slyly :D

Thanks mate we're looking forward to it but got lots to sort out, as you will understand I'm sure. Not sure if its a boy or a girl yet either, but I think most blokes would naturally prefer a boy. As long as its healthy and everything goes well I'll be happy.

I just need to buy some JDM babygrows...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back