• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Your thoughts

VTi = B16A2
JDM SiR = B16A
EK9 = B16B
MB6 = B18C4
DC2 = B18C -the JDM 96-spec B18C was handbuilt - some put out freakish power - I know of one in particular, that is noticably quicker than a few other DC2's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I really want another type r but want a decent engine I loved my old ep3 type r. Been really tempted by the accord type r but for money the 5-door civic vti-s seems really good and have heard the engines are very tunable

Yes. In comparison with the MB6, I felt the ATR gearbox was a hinderance. I'm sure Honda configured the ratio's as they did for a reason, but I didn't get on with them.

I've owned 2 ATRs and I've just broken up my 5th MB6 :lol:

ATR is a lovely car to be in and has much nicer steering than the MB6 - although I personally couldn't live with the fact that unless you are quite harsh with the gears (which I'm not) it can often drop out of VTEC between changes. That and that it doesn't rev as high as B Series. But that is again, just personal preference.

MB6 doesn't handle as well (as a matter of fact in standard form it doesn't handle at all, it just wobbles) but if you throw a bit of money at the suspension, intake and exhaust you've got a surprisingly quick car. I know peeps aren't going to like this, but with a minimum amount of money they creep into EP3 territory. Check out the videos I posted a few weeks ago in the video section on here to see what they go like. Although this last one had done 166k unkind miles.

Hmm may just have to look at them both and see how the drive then decide
Im not sure what an mb6 is if honest, but i've had a few atr's also and my brothers on his second. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one also, loved every minute, until I wrote off my first one which was mint. I've had a ep3 type r and will say they are alot quicker, but all round especially if you want a bit more space atr is on top of my list all time.

Attachments

• Atr.jpg
    Atr.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 9
The ATR's should not be underestimated, very quick cars and will comfortably keep up with a EP3/FN2 all day long

I think the EP3 would maybe take a car length or two after 90+mph but it's not very often that would you be doing those sort of speeds to notice any real difference in performance

The ep3 hits the vtec zone earlier which gives it a gauranteed edge, its also lighter and smaller. I personally like the atr more because I like a bit more space. By stats the ep3's 0-60 starts with 6 and the atr starts with 7 (cant remember exact figures.) still not sure what a mb6 is??

The MB6 is a Civic VTI saloon (Based on the Rover 400) which has the B18C4 engine running 170bhp, they also have a LSD as standard.

My brother bought one earlier this year and they are quite nice but do lack that sporty feel, decent performance but the long gear ratio's restrict performance.
They also made a special edition VTI-S MB6 which were all black and had a bodykit but the performance was identical to the normal VTI

They post nearly identical 1/4 mile times.

Correct, fine if you drive in a straight line all day. When exiting corners, having the correct ratio to drop you in the correct rev range (and being able to produce good power for as long as possible in said ratio) is more important in real life. It's why high revving cars like Type R's can keep up with more powerful turbo cars, all about the top end.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing ATRs - I love them.

In fairness fairly few people will ever push their cars far enough to notice these things.

The MB6 is a Civic VTI saloon (Based on the Rover 400) which has the B18C4 engine running 170bhp, they also have a LSD as standard.

My brother bought one earlier this year and they are quite nice but do lack that sporty feel, decent performance but the long gear ratio's restrict performance.
They also made a special edition VTI-S MB6 which were all black and had a bodykit but the performance was identical to the normal VTI
I know exactly what you mean my friend had one a while back, lovely cars, come accross a few vtis aswell (funny how the owners of them always isist that it has more than the vti though. But they do look alot nicer, larger badge at back aswell I think with a bit of red.
Thanks for clearing it up, at least I know what an mb6 is now!

I wouldn't say the EP3 is a lot quicker than an ATR at all.

Completely agree if both are in their standard form. The ATR also feels more stable around corners giving you the confidence to push on more.

Experience from my otherhalfs brother having a coupe they are very hard to sell on at the moment, he had to completely strip his and sell for far less than he wanted. He previously had a EG with lots of mods and never particualary got on with the coupe.

Experience from my otherhalfs brother having a coupe they are very hard to sell on at the moment, he had to completely strip his and sell for far less than he wanted. He previously had a EG with lots of mods and never particualary got on with the coupe.

Sorry, I got a bit lost there lol. What kind of coupe are we talking about here, EM1? Or do you mean the MB6?

As we've sussed by now, there's not a great deal of difference in performance between a CH1 and an EP3, I think it's mainly down to each individual's preferences and driving style.

Sorry, I got a bit lost there lol. What kind of coupe are we talking about here, EM1? Or do you mean the MB6?

As we've sussed by now, there's not a great deal of difference in performance between a CH1 and an EP3, I think it's mainly down to each individual's preferences and driving style.

Not sure how you got lost but anyway it was an EM1.

Back