• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Change front brake pads on a CTR.

spot on advice above...just a couple of questions please...when retracting
the rear piston caliper,im assuming you retract it clockwise on the drivers
and passenger side??also does the sealey tool Vs024 come with the correct lugged adaptor(that fits in the cross of the piston)or do you have to buy this separately?reason i ask is because there is another rewind tool avail elsewhere franklin TA890(with a variety of adaptors sold as a kit)but is obviously
more expensive....thanks folks..:smt017

The Sealey tool has a reversable front plate with different width locking pins to fit into the cross on the piston which will cater for the majority of car fitments, inc every Honda that i've come across, and yep, you're correct in winding it in clockwise. It can be a little stiff so it's sometimes worth squirting a little bit of WD40 under the seals 5-10mins before rewinding it, just to make sure the seal doesn't pinch as you wind it back in.

The rewind tool is probably the most useful bit of kit i've bought in regards to making life a lot easier and less stressful, as well as a rubber mallet:lol:

Great `How to`, thanks.

When forcing the piston back into place, how do you know how close to push the brake pads against the disc? Do you leave a small gap or do it so the pads are literally touching the disc?

Apologies if this is a silly question, never done something like this before and would like to at some point.

Great `How to`, thanks.

When forcing the piston back into place, how do you know how close to push the brake pads against the disc? Do you leave a small gap or do it so the pads are literally touching the disc?

Apologies if this is a silly question, never done something like this before and would like to at some point.
Push the piston all the way back in, fit the pads, put everything back together and pump the brake pedal a few times. Disc brakes are self adjusting. ;)

Push the piston all the way back in, fit the pads, put everything back together and pump the brake pedal a few times. Disc brakes are self adjusting. ;)

Ah cool, I wondered if they adjusted themselves but thanks for confirming my suspicions.

can i push the piston back in with those big plier type gripper things that adjust?
lol sorry but my explanation is terrible, i have completely forgot the name

MOLE GRIPS!!!! thank you, i have spent ages trying to think of the word.
G clamp looks like a safer bet. £6 quid isnt bad at all

Great "how to" Jermal helped me alot, one thing though as i pulled back onto my drive after going for a test drive i noticed one of the metal plates that go on the back of the pad (shims is it?) sat on my drive. I do plan on putting it back on but is this something i should be doing ASAP.

Great "how to" Jermal helped me alot, one thing though as i pulled back onto my drive after going for a test drive i noticed one of the metal plates that go on the back of the pad (shims is it?) sat on my drive. I do plan on putting it back on but is this something i should be doing ASAP.

usually the shims are just there to alleviate squealing pads so should not be a big deal.

Bump. Did my rear pads and discs on my DC5 about a month ago. They were practically the same as the fronts of the Civic for future reference (one piston etc).

Going to have to tackle my 4 pots at some point in the near future. I'll try to take some pics if I remember to update this thread.

Great how to. Doing this this morning. Done it before on a different car and looks pretty much the same. How do I remove the discs. If it's the same the calliper has to come off and the locating screws have to be removed???

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Done them today. Had a right job. The driver side the piston was siezed and the passenger side the calliper frame bolts was that rusted in it took ages to get them out. All brakes are free and in now. But iv hit a problem. When I tried bleeding them no fluid was leaking out the bleeder screw and I couldn't bleed them. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what this is. Also iv never bled a brake system before and was wondering if anyone had a good step by step guide so I know I'm doing it right.

Cheers
Craig

Back