• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

remote start?

A guy at college had remote start on his mitsubishi colt, tried to impress the ladiezz by firing it up with his key... left it in first gear.... bunnyhopped across the car park.... crash. Fail

A guy at college had remote start on his mitsubishi colt, tried to impress the ladiezz by firing it up with his key... left it in first gear.... bunnyhopped across the car park.... crash. Fail

When fitted properly, no remote start system would allow this to happen. Unfortunately there are some companies out there that will fit RS systems without the neccessary inhibitors.

Clifford's Intellistart 4 comes with the inhibitor built in and as long as this is activated propery you won't be able to start the vehicle if it's left in gear.

When fitted properly, no remote start system would allow this to happen. Unfortunately there are some companies out there that will fit RS systems without the neccessary inhibitors.

Clifford's Intellistart 4 comes with the inhibitor built in and as long as this is activated propery you won't be able to start the vehicle if it's left in gear.

Fair enough, but its still a completely pointless system to have anyway imo.

Because there's not point in starting the engine if you're not in the car.

I used to start the car up while I was still in the house, almost ready to go to work, so I didn't have to sit in the car waiting for it to warm up.

-Chris

QFT.

I don't get the whole warming up thing either unless you're booting it from the word go. Unless of course it's icy and you want to clear the windows. In which case I just get into my car 5 minutes earlier. Harder to nick when you're sitting in it too.

I used to start the car up while I was still in the house, almost ready to go to work, so I didn't have to sit in the car waiting for it to warm up.

-Chris

Which is bad for the engine, it sits there taking longer to warm up with lower oil pressure.

It needs to be driven which increases the oil pressure and warms it up faster.

It was my understanding too that it's better to warm the engine up by starting the car and driving off as soon as possible rather than just having it sat there idling.

That's exactly what Honda say in their owners manuals and seeing as they're the worlds largest engine producer I'd say they know what they're talking about.

Just wanted to add to this that if you do ever have an alarm fitted don't bother with GAP security, I've read some horror stories about them and my boss recently had an alarm fitted by one of their "Qualified Technicians" or more like some bloke called Steve who doesn't actually work for them and couldn't put the dash back together because he broke alot of the clips.
And I used to think the remote start was cool but for it to work for me I would have to walk down my garden and by then I may aswell start it with the key anyway

There is plenty of reason.....

In the winter, when the windows are thick with ice, you can start the vehicle and allow the cabin to be heated. This helps defrost the windows faster and it also raises the cabin temperature so that the vehicle is warm when you are ready to drive. Using remote start to do this is a million times better than having to scrape your windows and sit in a freezing car whilst driving to work.

In the summer you can remote start the vehicle and allow the air-con to cool the cabins interior before your ready to set off. I remember the days when my own car would have been as hot as an oven. I had to open all the windows and doors, as well as turning up the aircon, just so that it was safe to enter :)

Oil heat up is an important part of any engines daily routine. Allowing the engine to idle for a few minutes before you drive off will allow the oil to gain some temperature and it will also allow the oil to circulate properly. The manufacturers are divided on the benefits of doing this but in all reallity it can't be a bad thing..

A common misconception with remote start is that someone could simply walk up to the vehicle and drive it away whilst it is running. This is entirely false.
When the remote start system is active, the alarm is still monitoring the vehicles entry points and the immobilisation circuits are still engaged. Should anyone try to enter the vehicle, the alarm would trigger and the system would shut down the engine. The engine would remain immobilised until the alarm was disarmed via it's remote control.

I, as well as many customers, have had remote start fitted to my own vehicles and it is something that I find extremely handy. I understand that everyone might not feel the same but in my mind the advantages outweigh the disadvantages..

Not sure which make but I read Clifford seems to be the popular brand.

Wanted one sooooooo many times but never get round to it. Guess I don't want it that much.

Main reason for me would be in the mornings when I give the car that first drive of the day 5 minute, or, until the revs drop to around 1K warm up.

I think if where you live allows you to be able to do so then I guess why not. If your in a high risk area, or say on a high road I don't think this would be such a good idea. I guess it's just a case of laziness in not being bothered to go to the car and then back in, only to go back out again five minutes later, when, you can just press a button from inside your warm home while finishing breakfast. Or a billion other things . . .kids bags, jackets, etc. And, if you've set the heating nobs from the night before, windscreen will be ready for you as well! lol

Not really sure what the owners hand book says but I only ever look at these on the first day or maybe the second if I took it for a toilet read. Not in a funny way, I don't really care either. Every one has their way and as long as it's not like that advert (ain't seen it for a while mind you) where the guy is revving the hell out of it to start it, one should be OK. Advert went something along the lines of, revving your engine from cold kills it's lifespan by up to 80%.

I think this remote start thread could be a good poll. . .

normal conditions, warm up or no warm up. . . . .

Anyway . . . . off to warm the car up . . . :lol:

Back, while it's warming up, can I own up to something though :oops:. . . company vehicles . . . . different story all together . . . not that I take the wee-wee or red line them from cold but they only get until I've put my seat belt on to warm up/oil is at the top of the engine.

Anyway, off to drive the car now. . . .

I hope your not leaving your keys in the car whilst it's warming up.....

If your car were to be stolen... your insurance would be null and void :-(

There is plenty of reason.....

None of them are any good though, unless of course you work for a supplier of alarms and are trying to peddle your gear, which seeing as you're not a registered trader is against the rules and your posts will be deleted.

Back