• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jimbothemagnificent's magnificent EP3

Yep, no problem. I'll get the gopro out, got a wee video project on the burner anyway.

After having a good look at it, I don't think it's going to reduce the volume by much, not at WOT anyway. I'll hopefully be along to the outsider meet on Sunday, so you can have a good shufti there.

I don't think I'll make this week unfortunately mate, I'm away with work. I put some pics of on my build thread though from last weeks meet, you should check them out.

I got the exhaust fitted today, fracking awkward job without a ramp!

First impressions (I've only been to the gym and back): It's not really any quieter around town, though there is a slight reduction in motorway drone. It's still entirely puerile and unnecessary :chav:. Win.

I'll take it for a play tomorrow, didn't get a chance today. But so far, I like it.

That the M2 centre section? i know before it was a sportex you were using? still love mine without the centre silencer though as it shuts the mrs up cause i cant hear her :p

Small update:

The brakes have been in dire need of refurbishment for ages now, so I've made a start. Unfortunately I'm doing it one handed because I have my arm in a cast. So far I've only been able to get the front calipers done as I can't get a bunch of the bolts to move.

Does anybody know how to remove the handbrake cable from the mount attached to the calipers? The mount is seized on and I couldn't figure out how to remove the cable.

Before/during stripping.

They really were in a proper state.

Finished.

Looking good Jim

Picked up some calliper paint earlier for my cars - will see what weather is like tomorrow/next weekend as I cba stripping brakes.
They are getting painted on the car.

Wheels off, wire brush, prep, paint, hairdryer, wheels back on, inside - coffee. :lol:

I always painted them on the car before, 30 mins max. But I knew the fronts weren't perfect and one of the rears was binding so badly that it melted the paint on the caliper and rotor....

This is the problem I'm having. Can you remove the handbrake cable from the mount? Or is it integral, and the only way is to remove the red arrowed bolts?The blue arrowed nut seems to do nothing.

I can't get the red bolts to move. With the weather as it is I'd really like to be able to bring it inside to work on it!

Any suggestions?

I made the decision and cut the cable. After poking at the calipers for an hour, I'm assured that it was the right decision. They are fooked. Like, proper fooked.

There is no way those bolts are going to move, one of the pistons is stuck solid and it must have been generating some serious heat to change the colour of the paint. I'm not even sure the companies that refurbish calipers will accept them as exchange, they're that bad. So I'll get shopping soon as I have some money.

Shame it was the rears that were ruined, no excuse to upgrade the fronts now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue arrows a horse shoe clip sir, poke it up and wiggle the cable. the two bolts are for the bracket onto the caliper, you would undo them if you were changing the caliper!!

If your stuck with your gammy hand just holler, your not a million miles away.;)

Yep I discovered they weren't nuts once I had them in the garage, felt like a right berk for trying to unbolt it for so long! I'm pretty sure now there's no way to separate the cable from the mount without cutting it. The mount is to all intents and purposes welded to the caliper now, no way I'm getting it off without destroying something. So somebody else can deal with it.

Thanks for the offer bud. If you're up this way there's lots of bolts that need some force applied! I may as well take a few more bits off to refurb now, it's going to be at least a month before I have money for brakes, possibly two. Fordys coming over tomorrow to borrow my wheels for a few days, so I'll put him to work too!

Thanks guys.

It took two days to refurb the fronts, you could do it much faster with two hands and painting at the end, though it would be much more sensible to buy new ones. But I have time on my hands (hand, lol) and need something to occupy myself, so I was willing to put in the effort.

I started with a wire brush on the drill, that got all the really manky stuff off.
Then I spent ages chipping the corrosion off with a screwdriver. AGES.
Wire brush on the dremel for all the nooks and crannies.
Made sure all holes were sealed and gave them a really good wash.
Cleaned up the bleed nipples and banjo bolts with the dremel wire brush.
Coat of hammerite.
Removed the pistons with compressed air, be careful they come out with surprising force! Norv suggested using a grease gun, sounds like a great idea.
Endless hours of dentist pick and handheld wire brush to clean up the seal points. Worth taking the time over to get a good seal.
Really, really good clean. Air dried over radiator to prevent contamination.
New seals and piston covered in lube supplied with kit.
Piston seal situated in caliper.
Weather seal put over bottom of piston, with the caliper end hanging off the bottom of the piston.
Piston and seal pushed into caliper, slowly push piston in and try to situate seal in caliper.
Once the piston is 3/4 in, situate the seal on the piston.
Coat of hammerite.

Or go for option B - paint them in situ, and get looks of derision from the garage when they take your calipers off and try to clean all the excess paint off where you've been a touch brush happy.

ND1989, thanks, I'll go have a look. I started soaking the rears in penetrating oil today, because I've got nothing better to do, but I'm not hopeful.

Rambo, not like you to shy away from getting your hands dirty! I can't believe how well the parts are cleaning up, it's amazing what you can do with a wire brush on a drill. It is time consuming though, took me nearly 3 hours to do the rear hangers today.

Back