• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jimbothemagnificent's magnificent EP3

Rambo, not like you to shy away from getting your hands dirty! I can't believe how well the parts are cleaning up, it's amazing what you can do with a wire brush on a drill. It is time consuming though, took me nearly 3 hours to do the rear hangers today.

Its cold outside, like really cold outside now lol. Just a job i've been pushing back by saying im going to upgrade them, when in reality i cant afford to at the moment lol.

Drill and wire brush is the king mate!!!!

I should not be allowed near cars.....

Art least the cold is good for stripping out the sound deadening! May as well get it done now as I'm planning interior paint at some point. Brakes are also finished and the last coat of paint is drying. I refurbed the original rears in the end. Really horrible job, getting the pistons out and removing the corrosion took an entire day, but it's money better spent on fun things.

I realised that I never posted a good pic of my current console. Pretty chuffed with it, best one yet I think. It's bugging me that I messed up the top of the sun where it meets the stereo fascia, but not enough to fix it.

looks very clean mate, bet that took a good few hours to get to that stage, especially with one good arm :)

Thanks chaps. Yeah it's slow going with one hand, but I can't complain, it's better than working in this weather! I'm really enjoying myself actually. Made some new plans, a few more dumb ideas, found a few more challenges. Lots more updates for the next few weeks.

Cigarette lighter not level; argh!....

Lol, that's the first time it's been in place in a year, just found it again today. I'm going to go make it perfectly level now, just for you and your ocd. But, I'm going to level it upside down. :smt064

I have been away a little while and just popped back in to view your thread Jim. Well done on the build, she is coming on nicely!! :)

I've been stripping out the sound deadening material bit by bit over the last few days, it's horrible stuff. It comes off fine until you get to a bit where it's stuck over seam sealant, then it's stuck like s**t to a blanket. I was doing the bit behind the drivers seat toady and found this:

I was not expecting that. There are two holes that go all the way through. Of course I'm upset to find that on a 10 year old car, but I'm looking at the positives; I'm mighty glad I found it before it got any worse, it probably couldn't have happened at a better time because the car is in bits anyway, and it doesn't appear to be a difficult repair.

So the car will be off the road for a while longer as I don't have the money to get it fixed right now. Once it's driveable I'll take it to a bodyshop and have it thoroughly investigated, who knows what else is lurking under there.

Unfortunate, but as you say, much better to discover it this way. If you find yourself swimming in money at any stage you could have the chassis seam welded at the same time. And fit a cage. :twisted:

Many things to be done before seams and cage! In three months I'll have finished paying it off, so that will be another £100 a month in the car fund.

It looks like I'm going to have to hide it for the MOT next month, I need handbrake cables and some nuts and bolts which are not going to be cheap at Honda prices! Then I'll sorn it until I have the money.

Yeah, real shame they only have the one, because that's a great price! I think I'll be taking up your offer of help soon to get it rebuilt and ready for the MOT. All the brakes are still off, I'll need another pair of hands to get them bled and new cables fitted. Payday is the 30th, then MOT is due on the 6th, cutting it a bit close!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a problem sir, the weekend of the 30th if you want to arrange something then?
Won't be a problem getting it back together for its mot as long as the parts are there.

Wow didnt expect you to post that up under the sound deadening!!!!!

Kudos for getting it all out one handed. What method did you use?

Centre console looks great as always!

Yeah, it was a big surprise for me too! I suppose that's what the highlands does to cars.

The sound deadening took ages. I chipped it off with a screwdriver, came off easily enough in the cold weather. Then scraped the sticky stuff off with the screwdriver. Then a bit of white spirits and a wire brush on the drill. Then more white spirit and a scourer sponge. THEN start on the stuff stuck to the seam sealant, that bit was soul destroying.

I weighed it afterwards, even the stuff from the hoover, so I estimate 99% of it.......... 1.1kg. And about 9 hours.

One of the things I really like about these cars is that painting a few bits of interior plastic makes such a huge difference to the feel of the whole car. Yours must look so very different with the blue interior, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh one day!

In other news:

The carpet, seats, harnesses and handbrake are back in. Just to get it through the mot, then it will all be coming back out to start prep for paint. Of course the rust needs to be fixed before paint, but it doesn't look like a big job.

Jamieboy is coming over next weekend to help fit and bleed the painstakingly refurbished brakes. As long as the tester doesn't spot the rust then it should sail through!

Back