• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 general discussion

I get told my EP3 has the image of a boy racer. My answer is usually maybe so but how many boy racers get as cheap insurance on this car as I do. But to the younger drivers on this forum enjoy you're hot hatches. I just wish I could of had a type R in my 20s. :D Making up for it now though. :D I am with you Lewis I like my car and makes me smile. I gave up caring what people think of me. On that note.

Vvvvrrrrrooooooommmmmmm Vtec just kicked in :D

Badge snobbery, can also seen as a term coined by butt hurt sufferers who can't afford to own/run one.

It works both ways IMO.

If a Civic Type R and a BMW M4 was put in front of me and I was told to choose, I would pick the M4.

It's all relative. You think a McLaren SLR owner is really that bothered a cheaper car (Nissan GTR) can lap quicker?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. We all have badge snobbery, in some form or other I'd bet. For me if a new fastest, hot hatch appeared at £10K less than the Type R, but it was a Dacia, I'd stick with the Type R.

At the end of the day, paying £32k for a Civic is crazy too, but the majority on here (including me) will explain why it isn't.

If your car makes you happy, be happy, don't worry about the badge.

Anyone saying to me you'd have to be mentally unstable paying 50k for a civic are the same people who would pay 50k for a focus ST or 40k for an astra opc. Ones a Ford, the others an opel. Dafuq?

New Civic Type R

Badge snobbery, can also seen as a term coined by butt hurt sufferers who can't afford to own/run one.

It works both ways IMO.

If a Civic Type R and a BMW M4 was put in front of me and I was told to choose, I would pick the M4.

It's all relative. You think a McLaren SLR owner is really that bothered a cheaper car (Nissan GTR) can lap quicker?

I hear ya, but this is my position. I could afford an M3 If I wanted to, I just don't want to use a large portion of my wage paying for a car when I can have as much fun for less money. The Clio probably handles much better on the roads we are presented with in modern Britain too. Don't get me wrong, if money was unquestionably no object, I'd have loads of 'exotic' marques, but I'd still have a paddock full of my favourite 'poor mans' sports cars too. All the old skool fords, all the French motors, R5, Clio Williams, the Hondas, early type R, integra etc., Lancia Delta Integrales (although these are no longer s cheap car due to rarity!), VW G60's. You see the theme.

M3: As much as I love cars, the financial burden of such a vehicle can can outweigh the benefits of ownership, and it takes a sensible man to see that. Even the Honda. No way I'd be £500 in a month on a motorcar. Not unless I was very wealthy. However, I pass no judgement on those who do so, as I am familiar with the passions of burning desire that rage strong when it comes to cars!
If I wanted I could sell both my cars (Rallye and Clio) and have some fancy snobby executive sports car. I have often considered it. However, when I browse the options I always end up deflated, a replacement of such kind just wouldn't have the soul of my little French machines that I love dearly!

My final word. I am of the opinion that many who go out and buy an Bmw or a Merc have no imagination and buy them because they believe the car reflects their social status / success in life, rather than for robust reasons. That's not a sweeping generalisation as I am fully aware many enthusiasts love them too, which is fine, but I've encountered people with these cars and when quizzed they have no solid reason for making the purchase. They are dead behind the eyes and lack any kind of zeal / passion for cars. You get a shoulder shrug and seemingly no real appreciation for the mechanics and engineering presented before them. It's takes a special kind of person (read maniac) to get excited about the look of a nice Yokohama AD08 or Michelin Pilot Cup Sport semi slick tyre sitting fresh on a clean alloy wheel, shrouding some mint AP calipers and two piece discs and anodised alloy bell. Ah I have had some beer so am ranting but you get what I mean.

A wealthy man was once quoted "I have as much fun in my Clio 200 as I have in my F40". Read into that what you will. This guy has that passion I refer to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
This was in an article in a magazine at work this morning

7dd7f5dcb4ac1c7922e4d291c535a71a.jpg

Unmarked Police Type Rs.....

My final word. I am of the opinion that many who go out and buy an Bmw or a Merc have no imagination and buy them because they believe the car reflects their social status / success in life, rather than for robust reasons. That's not a sweeping generalisation as I am fully aware many enthusiasts love them too, which is fine, but I've encountered people with these cars and when quizzed they have no solid reason for making the purchase. They are dead behind the eyes and lack any kind of zeal / passion for cars. You get a shoulder shrug and seemingly no real appreciation for the mechanics and engineering presented before them. It's takes a special kind of person (read maniac) to get excited about the look of a nice Yokohama AD08 or Michelin Pilot Cup Sport semi slick tyre sitting fresh on a clean alloy wheel, shrouding some mint AP calipers and two piece discs and anodised alloy bell. Ah I have had some beer so am ranting but you get what I mean.

LOL - This is not the place one should need to post this above - where is the passion for this machine? IF you are not a petrol head you will not like or appreciate the New Type R - Me, I love a well sorted lawn mower!! as long as it looks the part and goes like a stabbed rat, I am in!

Indeed I also like a wolf in sheep's clothing...But it must be convincing, BMW, MERC, VAG dont hit my buttons on all fronts.

LOL - This is not the place one should need to post this above - where is the passion for this machine? IF you are not a petrol head you will not like or appreciate the New Type R - Me, I love a well sorted lawn mower!! as long as it looks the part and goes like a stabbed rat, I am in!

Indeed I also like a wolf in sheep's clothing...But it must be convincing, BMW, MERC, VAG dont hit my buttons on all fronts.

I'm not sure what you mean dude? I do like the new type r I think it's awesome!

Re: vag, I agree but the M3 and M4 and RS do look pretty aggressive so that's why I like them because they aren't boring and safe. The Golf R I feel is a bit plain looking.

Wow, long post dude, as it was a reply to me rather than an statement I'll break down my reply as I can't remember everything you said :lol:

I hear ya, but this is my position. I could afford an M3 If I wanted to, I just don't want to use a large portion of my wage paying for a car when I can have as much fun for less money. The Clio probably handles much better on the roads we are presented with in modern Britain too. Don't get me wrong, if money was unquestionably no object, I'd have loads of 'exotic' marques, but I'd still have a paddock full of my favourite 'poor mans' sports cars too. All the old skool fords, all the French motors, R5, Clio Williams, the Hondas, early type R, integra etc., Lancia Delta Integrales (although these are no longer s cheap car due to rarity!), VW G60's. You see the theme.

M3: As much as I love cars, the financial burden of such a vehicle can can outweigh the benefits of ownership, and it takes a sensible man to see that. Even the Honda. No way I'd be £500 in a month on a motorcar. Not unless I was very wealthy. However, I pass no judgement on those who do so, as I am familiar with the passions of burning desire that rage strong when it comes to cars!
If I wanted I could sell both my cars (Rallye and Clio) and have some fancy snobby executive sports car. I have often considered it. However, when I browse the options I always end up deflated, a replacement of such kind just wouldn't have the soul of my little French machines that I love dearly!

But that's your prerogative, everyone is different and gets their kicks in different ways. Fun is subjective, I've said it before on here, some people enjoy how a car corners, how it handles, chassis set up etc etc me personally I like to go fast in a straight line why does that make me any less of a petrol head? My neighbour currently has an E63 on his drive, and every time he gets home he's grinning because he loves driving it. Just because it's a £70k 500bhp+ RWD car doesn't mean he can't have "more fun" that some cnut (me) in a £3k hot hatch :lol: and yeah I see your theme, you like old stuff, I personally don't, doesn't mean people should be judged by their car choice (that also applies to people who look down on others).

If you buy an M3 expecting it to be cheap to run and then class it as a financial burden when you see the associated costs then you can't afford one. If I was in a position to buy a "snobby" car I totally would, why not?
You dont pass judgement yet say fancy snobby exec sports car :lol: and that's your opinion about them not having soul like your cars. I'm selling my CTR for an Audi S3, so going from a raw-ish rev happy terrier, to a heavier well built hatch that suffers with understeer that some people class as boring lol. But that's the car I want and that's the car I'm going to budget for. I don't expect parts/servicing/insurance to be as cheap as the Civic but that doesn't mean I can't have fun in it.

You seem to contradict yourself in this paragraph and just make assumptions. And I disagree, the majority of my friends are petrol heads and range from people living on the breadline to others earning double my salary. Just because some can afford a luxury car and others can't doesn't mean they don't have a passion for it.

Also from your post, it does seem as though you're trying to come across as someone who has more of a love for cars than someone who doesn't choose to drive around in an old slow car. But it's an opinion and opinions aren't wrong, you just need to take your blinkers off and accept that other people have different views.

A wealthy man was once quoted "I have as much fun in my Clio 200 as I have in my F40". Read into that what you will. This guy has that passion I refer to!

Was it this guy?

[video=youtube;Z-4v4I7Gzk0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-4v4I7Gzk0[/video]

Everybody has different tastes but when it comes to German cars a lot of people do buy them because they think it makes them look better, weathier.

Theres a lad at work who's had a loan agreement with Audi on a £40k S3, he parks it in the car park and it looks no different than an A3 to me.
I took him out in the wife's Evo 8 when she had it and he still talks about it to this day. So in my eyes, he only bought the S3 and a posing pouch but really wants an Evo.
Now as I said, everybody is different and you should buy a car that ticks the boxes you require.
So im sure there are people who buy them because it excites them e.g. Danga

Going back to the thread:
I saw a blue CTR today and I'm suitablely impressed. It has a lot more road presence that the pictures show. Very nice indeed.

I'm not sure what you mean dude? I do like the new type r I think it's awesome!

Re: vag, I agree but the M3 and M4 and RS do look pretty aggressive so that's why I like them because they aren't boring and safe. The Golf R I feel is a bit plain looking.

Not an attack on you bud! I am agreeing with your sentiment!

However a forum for Type R owners and enthusiasts I would have thought would be full of like minded people. seems most are just unhappy with the price and looks - Not You! - of the new Honda offering and would rather opt for a VAG or Bimmer OR a Merc second hand....that leaves me puzzled on a Type R Forum?

Look I am a Newbie here, Never owned a Honda Type R before - so what do I know. I think its forums half the time I dont get.....

Regards

Right, I'm just home from the Honda dealership. First thoughts are:

Aesthetically, the photos really don't do it justice, it has presence by the bucketload! I still don't like it though, it's just too :asw:me with fins and vents and red bits and exhausts stuck on everywhere they could fit them.

Interior is an assault on the senses, there's so much happening in there that I couldn't appreciate it all in that short time. The driving position and the seats are absolutely perfect for me, I think the bigger chaps may find it a bit of a squeeze.

I did get a good long drive, the salesman was about 19 and a bit timid, so I had my wicked way with it..... Lordy, she's quick! It's extremely composed and eager when you push on, surprisingly so for such a big car with so many toys in it. It's not really nimble by type-R standards, but compared to all the other modern cars I've driven it's certainly chuckable and confidence inspiring. The quick steering is fun although you can certainly feel all the wizardry happening behind the scenes. It clearly has far more grip than I was willing to use, I got the impression it would be seriously quick down a twisty road once you were comfortable with it. Best part for me was the braking, it's perfect for a bit of heel and toe and it really stops. It REALLY stops.

The lag is noticeable but gentle and easy enough to work around, it's more than made up for by the torque in any gear. It feels like a proper turbo should, though it completely masks the vtec engagement. Lovely, lovely engine, but a far cry from the screamers of old.

Would I have one? Not for 30k. It's just too far away from the raw little mentalists I've fallen in love with. I went for a play in a GT86 afterwards (while I'm here....), I'd pick that first, and not just because they're 10k cheaper. Maybe a few years down the line, once the shine is off it, but not for 30k.

Everybody has different tastes but when it comes to German cars a lot of people do buy them because they think it makes them look better, weathier.

Theres a lad at work who's had a loan agreement with Audi on a £40k S3, he parks it in the car park and it looks no different than an A3 to me.
I took him out in the wife's Evo 8 when she had it and he still talks about it to this day. So in my eyes, he only bought the S3 and a posing pouch but really wants an Evo.
Now as I said, everybody is different and you should buy a car that ticks the boxes you require.
So im sure there are people who buy them because it excites them e.g. Danga

Oh I'm not denying that there aren't badge snobs about at all, I know there are a lot, I just think that there is also a fair share of green eyed monsters about passing judgement to make themselves feel better.

But yeah they tick my boxes and don't tick yours.....not even closely :lol: but I don't think me owning one gives me the right to speak badly of someone owning a Type R.

Oh I'm not denying that there aren't badge snobs about at all, I know there are a lot, I just think that there is also a fair share of green eyed monsters about passing judgement to make themselves feel better.

But yeah they tick my boxes and don't tick yours.....not even closely :lol: but I don't think me owning one gives me the right to speak badly of someone owning a Type R.

Nobody should really speak badly about any car or owner unless they drive like a dick.
The problem is that it isn't the case.
Just look at the Mighty car mod forum. Full of Aussie and yanks who think Honda are a joke and the V8 straight line monster is king.

I try to ignore it now. I have my FD and I'm happy with it.
F*k Dem Haterzzz

So I thought fcuk it, I just drove to my local stealer to have a look at it. See what the fuss is about. Was greeted by this:

11217170_10153148807556936_7093229200984490153_n.jpg

I grabbed a few others but you know what they look like. In the flesh it's totally different, it's a bloody nice car and bigger than I thought it would be. I must admit, I could see myself living with that rear end :lol: although the back wheels need spacing out a little as it does look a bit odd with them sitting in so far.
Those seats though, I'm in love! Bolsters will get fúcked in no time as they are proper huggy. Actually found myself thinking about the numbers :lol: but realistically I could not justify spending that much money on one. It's a nice car but not that nice.

It's the only one at my dealership and someone has bought a white one without even test driving it.

For the record, the vents are fake IMO, each one is filled in with black plastic with a hole smaller than the size of a cotton bud drilled into each slat blank. Same goes for the arch vent next to the door gap. So air will travel through but it would be minimal.

Rear wheels look like they need some spacers.

Do you think every dealer will have one of these to nose at?

Back