• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 general discussion

Really!? Yea that's a point. That's the one thing putting me off the m3. Are they really that bad? Must be bad if it made you wince, especially coming from an Evo where you're used to uber high running costs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't entertain running a 911 or M5 etc without warranty unless you don't mind spending in excess of £1000 on repair bills now and then. Sure, you may never had an issue but a German car built within the last 5 years is an awful lot more complex and liable to go wrong compared to one of 10 years ago. The latest Type R won't be an exception, but I daresay the cost to maintain and repair outside of warranty will be significantly lower than that of a 5+ year old 911 or M car.

One of my close mates has ran an E46 M3, E92 M3 manual and an E92 DCT. As long as you have a BMW warranty they are fine. 3 years of M3 ownership and it hasn't cost him anything other than fuel and service costs.

One of my close mates has ran an E46 M3, E92 M3 manual and an E92 DCT. As long as you have a BMW warranty they are fine. 3 years of M3 ownership and it hasn't cost him anything other than fuel and service costs.
Very true. It's worth bearing in mind that warranty on cars over 60,000 miles costs a fair bit extra, and I believe over a certain threshold you can no longer get the full shebang. Plus, it means buying a car with warranty already on it, or a dealer approved car. This in turn keeps the prices of such examples high.

Very true. It's worth bearing in mind that warranty on cars over 60,000 miles costs a fair bit extra, and I believe over a certain threshold you can no longer get the full shebang. Plus, it means buying a car with warranty already on it, or a dealer approved car. This in turn keeps the prices of such examples high.

Yes you definitely pay a premium for dealer approved but it is worth it. From memory, within the first 3 months of having his e92 manual he racked up a few grands worth of warranty claims. 2k just for an exhaust back box. Then he hydro locked the engine and needed a brand new V8 which was an 18k insurance job. Also my cousin bought a V10 M5 and the engine ended up being stripped at Sytner. Over 6 months he racked up over 15k worth of warranty claims. It's quite funny really. On one hand if you have no warranty then one major repair bill, (like a V10 Vanos failure) could potentially ruin you financially. But if you have a warranty they all of a sudden become very affordable. (relatively speaking)

I've read similar horror stories of the 335i - chews through turbo's, certainly not a car I'd have without warranty. There was an E92 M3 at a dyno day I went to recently and I almost wet myself when I heard it at full scream.

German cars in general just seem shocking lately. The Audi Rs cars are another that you need a warranty with. I drove my brother in laws RS6 and although it felt solid it also felt very expensive and that at any minute something stupid could cause a hug bill. Actually he had it serviced and the final bill to get it back up to scratch was 2k. I'll stick with Jap cars for now.

Test drive booked for the 16th when I'll finally be sober. I have a distinct ideas I'll buy one in March on pay rise & bonus production

excuse my french - *****

oh - dotty can I drive your FD to compare?

The old M6 is an ugly car from the back. Then newer one's have fixed that though.
Can be had for good money nowadays so you could buy it and put a bit aside for running costs.

It's 36500€ for the GT model in Belgium. So I would say sucks to be in Ireland...

I've been told that price is in pounds, can you check again? Apparently there'll be an excess on LHD models aswell.

The price for Ireland is all in. Vat and Reg charges. Only thing not included in it is the delivery charge. So for once, Ireland are getting a car cheaper than the UK.

I've been told that price is in pounds, can you check again? Apparently there'll be an excess on LHD models aswell.

The price for Ireland is all in. Vat and Reg charges. Only thing not included in it is the delivery charge. So for once, Ireland are getting a car cheaper than the UK.

I've ordered mine here in Belgium and the price begins at 34.000 € VAT included. Reg charges may varied a lot, the unlucky walloon (south Belgium french native speaker) must pay + /- 5000€ more and the Flemish (north Belgium Dutch native speaker) only +/- 800 €. So much difference in a small land, it's insane!

In all seriousness, the base price from Honda should be capped and then dealer/delivery, vat and registration charges by whatever country should be the only variables.

The Irish Civic Type R GT is priced at €50,950 which equals £35,850.79

The UK Civic Type R £32,295.

I think your maths are off. Ireland is £3555.79 more expensive.

The Irish Civic Type R GT is priced at €50,950 which equals £35,850.79

The UK Civic Type R £32,295.

I think your maths are off. Ireland is £3555.79 more expensive.

Apologies you're right. I had a feeling it was too good of a price in comparison to be true but was too excited to work it out again. The new Golf R is €46250 on the road before dealer/delivery charges. The new Focus RS will be around the €47000 mark.

I reckon there'll be very little, if any, on Irish roads.

New Civic Type R

Yes you definitely pay a premium for dealer approved but it is worth it. From memory, within the first 3 months of having his e92 manual he racked up a few grands worth of warranty claims. 2k just for an exhaust back box. Then he hydro locked the engine and needed a brand new V8 which was an 18k insurance job. Also my cousin bought a V10 M5 and the engine ended up being stripped at Sytner. Over 6 months he racked up over 15k worth of warranty claims. It's quite funny really. On one hand if you have no warranty then one major repair bill, (like a V10 Vanos failure) could potentially ruin you financially. But if you have a warranty they all of a sudden become very affordable. (relatively speaking)

Ridiculous that they are that unreliable really especially considering the premium cost you pay up front. However you always read horror stories in the Internet about any marque, it's possible you could buy one and not have any issues whatsoever. Maybe I'll just stick with Renaultsport. Megane 250 cup will be more than quick enough and fun too. I absolutely love my 200 cup it's just so damn composed at high speeds and just handles like a go kart. Plus it's cheap to run. Either s lotus Elise s2 or a Megane 250 cup then I think next! Unless a decent M3 comes up at sensible money with a warranty.

I don't think you can beat a hot hatch for price/performance. I spend a lot of time on M3cutters and they all talk about "prestige and class." A lot of them won't even consider a hot hatch because of the image. You pay for a badge with those cars. A well sorted hot hatch is as quick as a 911 on a road and almost as quick on a track. I couldn't justify spending the extra it would cost for one of those cars just for willy waving rights

New Civic Type R

People that think like that are idiots. They are too concerned with their image and how they are perceived by others, rather than focusing on the most important factor (imo) which is how much fun you have driving and how engaging the vehicle is to captain! I love the 'M' series cars but thoughts of snobbery do not enter my mind. I just love how capable they are as cars, the design of the bodywork, arches, the sticky tyres, brakes, all that stuff. I don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks of my car, so long as I like it and know it's capable of some serious performance. I get smart remarks about my Clio s lot, but there is no denying how capable it is, and I often take delight in demonstrating such when there is someone is trying to outgun me on a B road = cya! I really want to get it on track because the cornering ability of it is just great. I bloody love it.
Tempted to have a drive of the new civic as that is supposed to excellent too in terms of turn in and cornering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back