• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

Here we go again. More customers expecting a performance hatchback to have the wear and tear of a diesel VW Golf.
My previous performance hatchback had standard fit 19" Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres that had covered 13000 miles with still almost 4mm of completely even tread remaining on the front.

Last edited by a moderator:
My previous performance hatchback had standard fit 19" Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres that had covered 13000 miles with still almost 4mm of completely even tread remaining on the front.

I feel like you’ve withheld the make and model. Please enlighten us...

Focus ST doesn't have the Focus RS style, Megane RS style, CTR Turbo style, revoknuckle/floating kingpin arrangement. Reducing that torque steer comes at a cost.

Plus if your ST was anything like my old ST-250 ('13 Mk3 ST-2), Ford wouldn't know how to set up the geometry. Well documented in my thread. :lol:

..... I'm running Assy 3s now, 12'000 miles in and still plenty in them, I know of someone 20 odd thousand in.

I wouldn't refit those contis unless you like chucking money away

WOW, you really must drive like an old man.

I've managed 6000 miles on my (front) Assy 3's and i've got about 5mm left (or 2mm from the wear markers). Can't say they've lasted all that much longer.
I'm 95% of the time a motorway driver but when i do go for a razz, i'm not sympathetic to the machinery, it does gets spanked like it should.

Grip wise. The Assy 3's are not as good as good as the Conti 6's. In the wet i'd say they are as good as one another. But in the dry when doing the aforementioned spanking, i really really miss the Conti's feel.

Also i've just put on Assy 3's on the rear wheels and there's quite a noticeable wallow in the sidewalls compared to the rear Conti 6's.

I like the Assy 3's for wear rate-vs-price-vs-performance but outright performance wise, the Conti's trounce them.
Considering the price difference is £25 a corner you pays your price and takes your choice.

Next i'm having the wonder child that is MPS4s (which with my mileage should be about March).

missed the Electric White St3 I had in 2008 off my sig.....loved the looks, but really underwhelmed by the performance...desperately needed a remap, but it was a company car so didn't

I've managed 6000 miles on my (front) Assy 3's and i've got about 5mm left (or 2mm from the wear markers). Can't say they've lasted all that much longer.
I'm 95% of the time a motorway driver but when i do go for a razz, i'm not sympathetic to the machinery, it does gets spanked like it should.

Grip wise. The Assy 3's are not as good as good as the Conti 6's. In the wet i'd say they are as good as one another. But in the dry when doing the aforementioned spanking, i really really miss the Conti's feel.

Also i've just put on Assy 3's on the rear wheels and there's quite a noticeable wallow in the sidewalls compared to the rear Conti 6's.

I like the Assy 3's for wear rate-vs-price-vs-performance but outright performance wise, the Conti's trounce them.
Considering the price difference is £25 a corner you pays your price and takes your choice.

Next i'm having the wonder child that is MPS4s (which with my mileage should be about March).

Not surprising since Assy 3's are designed for German barges and not pin sharp hot hatches.

Focus ST doesn't have the Focus RS style, Megane RS style, CTR Turbo style, revoknuckle/floating kingpin arrangement. Reducing that torque steer comes at a cost.
So if I understand you correctly this means that the Focus RS and Megane RS along with the FK2/FK8 are all intentionally set up to cause abnormal wear to the inside edges of the front tyres after as little as 5000 miles?

So if I understand you correctly this means that the Focus RS and Megane RS along with the FK2/FK8 are all intentionally set up to cause abnormal wear to the inside edges of the front tyres after as little as 5000 miles?

Yes. Although the intention is to maximise grip, not destroy the inner edge of tyres for a laugh. It's an unfortunate bi-product.

Not surprising since Assy 3's are designed for German barges and not pin sharp hot hatches.

I should have listened. I've read you state as much 3 or 4+ times previously.

In my defence, and in these conditions, they perform adequately and they'll be dead by summer so don't think i'm whinging. All's good.
When it comes to tyres, price really does equate to performance it seems.

Most people don't, they blindly buy them and scream about their performance because they're better than the 1mm Nexen's they replaced them with.

I'm totally the opposite the assy 3s out grip the contis in both wet and dry.
I live in the countryside and my commute is always twisty B roads and I feel more at ease with these. There's a chap who's done a Europe road trip twice on the assy's and he also rates the grip over the contis.

Saying that I know another owner running the assy's who like yourself mainly does motorway mileage and he also prefers the contis for grip (still rates them though)
I suppose it comes down to your journey and what you prefer out of a tyre

Yes. Although the intention is to maximise grip, not destroy the inner edge of tyres for a laugh. It's an unfortunate bi-product.

Indeed.
As an old git with a memory that works with events long ago ( but not so well with yesterday) I recall that the Toyota MR2 mk2 was like this with its rear tyres.
After scares with the early ones being too tail happy they then set up the geometry for maximum grip so the rear tyres only lasted 5000 miles at best...with inside edges bald.

I'd be well happy with 5000 miles for a set. :lol: I think some people should have bought a Golf GTI or similar with what they're expecting.

The EP3 was faster than most hot hatches when it came out, but it came at a price. Next to no options, unforgiving, loud in the cabin and a terrible motorway cruiser.

I never got more than 6k out of a set of fronts on my EP3, over 100k miles in all conditions. R33 GTR, I got 8k out of a set of 4.

Par for the course, always has been.

But if you can get a better performance tyre that has triple the life span then surely it makes sense financially.
I wouldn't have an issue buying 2 or 3 sets a year if it meant the car had to have said brand but I don't see the point of chucking unnecessary money away

anyone know what Honda recommend the standard geo settings should be?

my inner front wear could just be a case of TADTS, or due to those spirited demos before I bought it, either way I just want to make sure the I can strike the right balance between tyre wear and on road handling, also don't want to wear out these new continentals if due to the Cambs/Essex roads (pothole central of the UK) have knocked the alignment out.

fyi - Continentals £180 currently with Camskill and MSP4 £210, if you're feeling flush Supersports at £260 a corner.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s21...yres_-_20_inch_R20_inch_-_245_30_20_245_30R20

Last edited by a moderator:
But if you can get a better performance tyre that has triple the life span then surely it makes sense financially.
I don't see the point of chucking unnecessary money away
Completely agree....in fact I would be happy with the same performance or even slightly less to get the vastly increased lifespan.
We don't all drive our cars like we are always on a race track. :lol:

There's only so much you can affect tyre performance with tread pattern when it comes to straight up dry grip... It basically comes down to purely tyre compound. Softer tyre = more grip & higher wear rate. There's a certain amount you can play with in terms of tread depth but it's minimal.

So, by default, a sticky performance rubber will wear out faster than your boggo eco tyre. That'll be true for as long as the pope sh1ts in the woods.

Back