• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. X

FK8 Non GT FK8

If the extras mean nothing to you,then if you are doing pcp I say go for the non GT,as you say. On the other hand if you are going to own it you could find the non GT difficult to sell on some years down the line. I don't think many wanted the non GT FN2 in the used market,it didn't even have...
  2. X

FK8 Non GT FK8

I definitely saw one advertised for sale last year...but only one!
  3. X

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

I think there are two factors... --Cost would exceed value added in the customers perception,as you say. --There is a trend towards 4wd and as cars get more and more powerful and, in theory at least,the transfer of drive to the rear wheels when the fronts are losing grip should give a similar...
  4. X

I don't doubt that the Megane is a sharp handling car but I don't see anyone on here swapping their type R for one for reasons that are probably obvious to us all. That Fifth Gear test was just for fun and 99% irrelevant to day to day driving and car ownership. ....however,I have to ask why the...
  5. X

What did you do to your Type R today?

Those bespoke RallyArmor flaps (on TarmacSportz) look good for protection...not the cheapest but probably worth the money. Now,dare I go red ones on my Rallye red car?
  6. X

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

Not really...it says "the Civic is the most complete car here..." which is meant in a total sense,although it could also be taken literally because the other two don't actually have back seats! :)
  7. X

FK8 Do you like surprises?

Interesting,so about £2k off list.Bit disappointing since that won't help our values in the short term,especially disappointing since it is still being rated as the best in its class. I think the problem for Honda is that the extreme looks are putting off a lot of UK buyers,but looking like...
  8. X

Don't think I'll bother :)
  9. X

If so,do what I've just done (out of idle curiosity). Go on the Evans Halshaw site and ask fo a valuation! My FK8 is normal GT model,March 18,only 1200 miles. Answer: £23360! I can hardly wait to accept their fantastic offer !!!!
  10. X

I usually refer to Camskill for the best tyre prices. They show the Contis at £175 each...including VAT but not carriage and fitting,but still possible to get an all in price around £200 per corner if you are prepared to send for them and can arrange your own fitting.
  11. X

FK8 3 Things you'd like to se on the Fk8 Mk2

It's too big to feel really at home on narrow roads...but you can't do anything about that without totally changing the car...or introducing a coupe no bigger than a GT86 with the FK8 engine and handling capability. Prelude type R?
  12. X

I tend to agree...the thing that strikes me as ugly about the FK8 interior every time I get in is the "hole" at the front of the centre console...it would be better if the armrest slid further forward to cover it. Been thinking whether the ashtray accessory that fits in there would make it look...
  13. X

EP3 Cookie's FK8 Tale of Woe - 4th gear lockout and popout

Easy to tell he doesn't own it,every change banged through with zero mechanical sympathy,seems to be trying to prove he can change gear as fast as a dsg does. I'm on 1200 miles now with no problems so far.However,although the box is good to use I would say it's not as slick as the FN2 one,but...
  14. X

FK8 Intermittent rattle from front brake/hub, NOT brake squeal.

I believe they are there to prevent excessive water build up,especially when driving on rain soaked motorways. Without them you could experience a second or so with nothing happening before the pads dry the discs on a sudden brake application...perhaps the difference between a crash or not. So...
  15. X

Ron,I hope you enjoy the S3,I'm quite familiar with it because my daughter had a current model which she has just changed to a TTS convertible,which is of course very similar mechanically. Really nice,classy cars and feel very safe when using the power because of the 4wd.I actually prefer them...
  16. X

You might say the biggest fault of the FK8 is that it is BIG...a bit oversized for narrow B roads. Jazz type R needed?
  17. X

Fog light protectors for sale 8G/9G/10G - FN2/FK2/FK8

Wanner69 has kindly let me have an experimental pair of covers for the FK8. I am pleased to say these have turned out OK,good thick quality. Only problem is I asked for red to match a Rallye red car,but I now wonder if I will get pulled for red lights at the front of the car....not that I...
  18. X

The hubs already have some paint on which I took as a good enough undercoat,so I just thoroughly cleaned the area (brake cleaner probably best for this). I just put on one coat but two would be better.Better still would be to spray paint them to give a nice even coating,but then you need a fair...
  19. X

FK8 Future winter wheels ?

Thanks,might have known someone would have already sorted it out! So just a matter of finding something you like the look of...and,in my case,at a reasonable price.
  20. X

If you go on Performance Alloys,or any of the large wheel selling sites you can enter your car model and it then brings up all wheels that might be suitable in terms of pcd,diameter ( must be 18" or more to fit over the brakes?) If you then choose each wheel you can see the offsets...
  21. X

And is the new box OK?
  22. X

Let's not get too bothered about this,if you are going to bash through every first/second gearchange as fast as you can then you are going to mistime some and not have the clutch properly down. If there is a synchro problem then changing down into second at,say,50mph will find it out...and then...
  23. X

FK8 Sill Guards

OK, got them and fitted them. Decent quality,good value for money. Recommended.
  24. X

...or clutch not fully down,so driver error? Although I am aware that Honda synchros are not always the best.Nearly 20 years ago I bought a 3 month old ex demo Accord type R and the synchro was weak on fifth gear. Honda knew about the problem and it was fixed under warranty and OK thereafter.
  25. X

Interesting...although I could have done without the hysterical girl like presentation. Wish I could go back a few years when a good NSX could be had for £25k! Another thing...when the NSX was introduced the Jap manufacturers were adhering to a 280 power limit,but I think it was generally...
  26. X

Details entered on to a handy tyre/wheel site: https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=245&aspect=30&diameter=20&wheelwidth=8.5&offset=60&width2=245&aspect2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8-0&offset2=45
  27. X

Just browsing and came across these,JDM style,seem in keeping to me: https://www.performancealloys.com/wheel-details.aspx?ID=7502&offset=False&load=False Not a fortune... Not sure what offset best? 235/40 tyres?
  28. X

FK8 Sill Guards

Looking for something reasonably priced,so not carbon,illuminated,Mugen or whatever. These are cheap,but probably too cheap? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civic-Type-R-2002-2018-CHROME-DOOR-SILL-SCUFF-PLATE-GUARD-TRIMS-PROTECTOR/302522352137?hash=item466fbcc209:g:9-AAAOSwvtFZ17PE
  29. X

Fog light covers. Please see the thread on the FK2 section by wanner69. We are seeing if these could be made for the FK8 and I have measured mine and come up with about 75mm diameter(over the dome) and they do seem to be circular and not oval. It's awkward to get into the recess to measure...
  30. X

Do these fit the FK8? If not,any chance of some being made that fit?
  31. X

Agreed,but also bear in mind that with the BM you will get worse seats,poorer steering,and if you go for the manual,a worse gear change... Just saying...;)
  32. X

All I have to say is that the BMW 140/240s are quick depreciating cars,over 20% discount is available when new and there are a lot of them about,so when used they will still keep dropping. They are discrete cars with a big and easy surge of speed,if that's what you want,but their general ride...
  33. X

FK8 Red,black or silver?

Yes,that's how mine look :)...wasn't brave enough to go for red.
  34. X

FK8 Red,black or silver?

Used a paint I've never tried before..."Corroless"...supposed to be very durable for a single pack paint. I find most paints of these sort,like Hammerite,are not great now that the law says they can't be solvent based. This new stuff was a bit thin going on,would be better with two coats. TBH I...
  35. X

FK8 Red,black or silver?

No,not the car itself,just the brake disc hubs. Painted mine today to stop the usual event of them showing rust quite quickly. I just stuck with black,matches the wheels and doesn't stand out,others might have gone for silver,or even red to match the calipers. On a £30k+ car they should really...
  36. X

FK8 Oi mate, Awesome car but that rear wing looks daft

So full price £385,Cox price £327. So if you don't fancy diy fit,it would seem reasonable to me that the dealer could do a free fit if you were paying full price.
  37. X

For the risk averse,any idea how much a dealer would charge to fit it?
  38. X

That's only by negotiation with the dealer,just like the price of the car,surely? Depends how much you can haggle off,but dealers don't give away their profit easily.
  39. X

Only red costs nowt,all the metallics and white are extra. Service plan about £500. See Cox site for all the carbon bits,they do look better,but the improvement doesn't justify the prices IMO.
  40. X

FK8 Interior bling

https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=honda%20civic%20type%20r%20fk8 Footrest perhaps,but I'd probably pass on the rest.
  41. X

FK8 Quality issues

Well I've not done that many miles either and would say there arn't any faults yet,although I wouldn't call the gearchange slick,let's hope it improves rather than goes the other way. Paint finish is sometimes hard to define,but of my last four cars,two BMWs,the R and the wife's present car,a...
  42. X

Bloke at the petrol station was obviously not a petrol head. Otherwise he would know that said spoiler was indeed daft if on ,for instance,a Corsa. However,on an Ultima it's totally normal.
  43. X

FK8 MyHonda dongle thing?

Don't think they are free.I thought it was a limited offer that was free with the service pack. Otherwise it was £200+ ?
  44. X

FK8 Scorers on the Chavometer?

Could be! Actually I don't mind them,they follow the FN2 tradition. ...on the other hand,there are standard badges front and back so one on each side makes four...do we need another on the roof to identify it from above? :lol:
  45. X

OK,Thanks,I'll get it done!
  46. X

I'm in same position as you,except they told me to make an appointment with the service person to get it,and I've not got round to it yet. BUT,as an old non-tech person,what,in simple terms does it do??? :confused:
  47. X

FK8 Diskloks

Shame you can't turn it off. Call me old fashioned,which I'm bound to be at my age,but I would gladly trade some of the techie stuff on the GT model for some "traditional"luxuries. For instance,don't need the keyless entry,don't need the wireless charging (how hard is it to plug in a wire?) I'd...
  48. X

If they ran it on the thickest oil and then the thinnest there could be a power gain from one to the other. But doesn't the R run a very thin oil as standard anyway?
  49. X

FK8 Diskloks

Fair enough,but what about the thefts where they use the keyless aspect and use one of those gadgets to open and start it without the home invasion bit to get the keys?
  50. X

FK8 Diskloks

Should we all be getting these? At the moment S3s and Golf Rs are the most stolen but I rather fear that the FK8 might be soon figuring high on the stats as more appear on the road.
  51. X

FK8 What did you learn about your FK8 today?

Just comparing it with my previous car,the M140i,which had more road noise than the R...which is probably not what most would expect. It certainly hasn't got the refinement of an expensive luxury car,or even as you say some other hot hatches,but let's say it's certainly nothing like as bad as...
  52. X

FK8 What did you learn about your FK8 today?

Good summary,don't disagree with any of that. But you could also add: Unexpected levels of refinement in terms of ride quality in "comfort" and low cruising noise levels. Enjoyment of just about the best manual gearbox around. The BMW,Audi etc badge snobs don't know what they are...
  53. X

FK8 Discounts on GT

Until now discounts have been minimal and tbh I don't really know how much I got off mine because a p/ex was involved,but I think it was only around £1k. When there are a fair few ones about now at a few months old and minimal mileage at around £29k you have to ask yourself is it really worth...
  54. X

Leaning towards having the R numbers on the wing end plates myself...none will be the same!!! Carbon on the Red?
  55. X

How can that be a bad thing? ;)
  56. X

Couple of cheap cosmetic items...I'm probably 10% for,but 90% against TBH :) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civic-Type-R-Build-Number-Sticker-Fk2-Civic-EP3-FN2-Accord-JDM-Drift/292477364819?hash=item4419026a53:g:~AUAAOSwtKVaUqoD And these,bottom of rear doors same as FN2?...I think someone...
  57. X

FK8 So far a good decision

Had my Type R GT for a few weeks now,although have only covered just over 200 miles since I've not been too well of late. But...far enough a I think to get a decent feel of the car and compare it to my previous one and since the car that's gone now is one of the natural competitors to the FK8 I...
  58. X

Agree the oem mats are overpriced but I wouldn't expect those £20 ones to last long. Have a look at carmatsforu,I think they do four different qualities,the best ones are as thick as Bentley carpets,but their mid range ones are good enough.
  59. X

FK8 SportContact 6 Tread Wear

Ron,being serious,I like you will be a low mileage driver and nowadays,in my dotage, a fairly steady one. When my tyres wear out I might well look for something more midrange to replace them,but one still rated high for wet grip and with low noise. I think what we want and what the track...
  60. X

FK8 SportContact 6 Tread Wear

Contis are about £170 each... If funds are short you could always go for these ;) https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s2147p140379/Superia_Tyres_Car_Superia_RS400_Superia_RS_400_-_245_30_R20_90W_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_E_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_69dB
  61. X

FK8 Wheels

Thanks...just looking to the future for some cheap winter ones,e.g Team Dynamics.
  62. X

FK8 Wheels

Is it correct to say that any wheel that fits the FK2 will also be OK on the FK8?
  63. X

FK8 Am I being thick.. setting Autolock

It makes me think car designers are too tech nerd obsessive and sometimes forget what the average customer might want. For instance,on the Type R I would swap the keyless entry and a few other things (e.g. Do we need that many audio speakers?) for a heated windscreen,far more practical IMO.
  64. X

FK8 Major Fault!

They are bugger to clean...all those crevices,spoilers,etc!!! First time today,but it didn't reveal any paintwork blemishes,so that was good news.
  65. X

FK8 Quality issues

Good luck with that,but we all have different tastes,don't we. I'm currently trading in my M140i,fantastic engine and auto gearbox but that's where the appeal ends for me. The suspension isn't right,so really so needs £2k plus after market mods. No lsd,dead steering,seats not great...I could go...
  66. X

FK8 FK8 How many have wrecked Alloys so far ???

Not good,since no way are Honda going to accept this is a warranty issue. Buy a set of FK 2 wheels? Use comfort setting a lot? Question...in theory do you reduce possible rim damage by increasing or reducing tyre pressures?
  67. X

FK8 Quality issues

It's why most makers have given up on chrome plated nuts...and it will get worse when the nuts are disturbed because the pressure of a socket spanner will knock the chrome off the corners. BMW ones are just black and some VAG models have plastic caps. If you want shiny ones that last (and...
  68. X

FK8 Must have accessories?

When the type R arrives and I put my own reg on I was thinking about these plates...
  69. X

FK8 GT extras worth the extra 2k ?

When I ordered mine there was no discussion with the dealer...he rightly assumed I wanted the GT. Perhaps the non GTs are special order only and outside the normal allocation?
  70. X

FK8 Quality issues

Autocar magazine For those interested I can tell you the they have just acquired an FK8 on long term test. In this week's first report on it they mention it has the known issue of squeal when braking at low speeds. Interestingly,they don't at the moment consider this to be a "fault". Unless...
  71. X

FK8 Alcantara Cleaning Care and premature balding prevention suggestions...

What is it then?...a cheaper imitation?
  72. X

FK8 Alcantara Cleaning Care and premature balding prevention suggestions...

Doubt if it's going bald at this stage,I'd guess it's just the pile flattening. I would just use warm water with wash up liquid with a nail brush to raise the pile,don't used too much water or it will take an age to dry. Alcantara is usualy hard wearing.
  73. X

FK8 What and when to buy?

I've just told you, as above, about my real deal ;)
  74. X

I don't think there are any amazing deals yet in the sense of 10% or more off a new order. Used/ex demos at £29k can be a decent buy. I've just placed an order with my local dealer for mid March delivery and although I did a bit of haggling I didn't go to the extreme or shop around all over the...
  75. X

FK8 Goodbye my beloved black edition :'( , hello FK8

Yes,that's something I would do in that situation. ...and I wouldn't call parked on a house front next to the pavement "on a drive". When I get my fk8 it will be secure at home,but I agree you have to risk it leaving it in public places sometimes or you would never use it. I think GAP...
  76. X

FK8 Goodbye my beloved black edition :'( , hello FK8

Very nice...love all the carbon bits (but not the price:D) Feel a bit nervous for you if that is where the car normally lives..hope you have some extra security in mind.
  77. X

FK8 Is Honda's service package worth it if you only do ~5000 miles a year?

I will also be low mileage at about 5k pa...so what will be my service schedule,will it be annual? (If so,5 services for £599 looks like a bargain.)
  78. X

FK8 FK8 Global Registry

US has a different scale of octane ratings to us. They have 3 grades and the top one they call 93 is equivalent to our 98/99. If their FK8 engines are rated slightly lower on power it may be there is a tweak to further reduce the emissions for that market.
  79. X

FK8 Winter (and snow) driving opinions

That's the way to go IMO. Looks good and better selection of reasonably priced tyres in 225 40 18. If relevant,I can tell you that daughter has a Audi TTS with 245 35 19 tyres standard and Audi's approved winter fitment is also to go down two inches on rim diameter with a narrower width...to...
  80. X

Spoke to my dealer about 2 weeks ago,said their new demonstator would arrive next week for me to have a test drive. If we could do a deal for a new one then they said that they could get the colour of my choice in Feb, which I said would suit me for First March delivery. They also implied they...
  81. X

There are a lot of demos on at the moment and I would doubt the mileage has been updated on a lot of them...you know what dealers are like,that could have been the mileage after one month,but when you phone it's "Sorry,our mistake,mileage is now 6k"...but they hope you are sucked in! On the...
  82. X

Talking about discounts then this appears: http://usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/used-cars/approved-cars/honda/civic-20-i-vtec-type-r-gt-5-door/details-qxblena What's going off with that price?
  83. X

Carwow today and an offer of £1215 off. Discounts are here.
  84. X

Personally I would keep the standard one.
  85. X

I'll start with this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-GEAR-SHIFT-KNOB-BLACK-RED-JDM-MODULO-CIVIC-TYPE-R-FK8-2017/162711507129?epid=6007144478&hash=item25e25c90b9:g:71oAAOSwnDpaEuqX Warmer in winter,but,as they say in Yorkshire,..."How Much?!!!!")
  86. X

Indeed. As an old git with a memory that works with events long ago ( but not so well with yesterday) I recall that the Toyota MR2 mk2 was like this with its rear tyres. After scares with the early ones being too tail happy they then set up the geometry for maximum grip so the rear tyres only...
  87. X

Yes, that looks a good buy...the problem is I don't trust dealers to state the present mileage with demos that are still being run day to day,but well worth an enquiry if that colour appeals.
  88. X

Quite liked this one,especially the price: http://usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/used-cars/approved-cars/honda/civic-20-i-vtec-type-r-5-door/details-jjbkn65 ...BUT standard model and not GT?....must be very few of these about.
  89. X

Strange market situation at the moment. Some are still after premiums on cars whilst, as I said above,some demos are reduced by £3k plus. I actually know this dealer quite well having bought from/sold to him in the past,he's had this for quite a while now,and no hope of getting this price I...
  90. X

Still taking my time to decide... Plenty of ex demos now,some sneaking below £30k even with a service plan. Think I'll delay until the new year and then start phoning around. On the one hand I don't feel I want a demo ragged around by 20 odd drivers,on the other hand I feel there ought...
  91. X

FK8 Potential FK8 owner

Thanks for the welcome. I'm biding my time since I don't really want to change until next year.I also feel that once all the dealer demos are sold off and the normal hype surrounding a well received new car has died there will be a bit more discount. Anyway,I've read the 8 page full Autocar...
  92. X

FK8 Quality issues

Would you not think that some of the gearbox issues in the US are down to abuse of a manual box by people who up to now have only driven autos? Pure guess,but perhaps 95% of Americans have never driven a car with a stick shift,as they call them.
  93. X

FK8 Potential FK8 owner

I've seen those,which are obviously favourable,and ,while all the opinions of motoring journalists can be taken with a pinch of salt,a full Autocar road test tends to have the most detail. Anyway,some weeks ago they did a group test with seven other hot hatches/affordable performance cars and...
  94. X

Harder,Noisier,feels faster (but isn't),better handling on smooth roads,not so good on bumpy ones. Just guessing...am I right? :)
  95. X

FK8 Quality issues

Changing to a different grade pad and ,if necessary discs,is a lot cheaper than changing the car. I agree copper grease is not necessarily a permanent solution,but different pads/discs should be IMO.
  96. X

Those Alfas are great little cars,in a hard core two seater sports car way. However £20 k more than an FK8 and not really an option for those who need 4 seats,hatchback etc. Enjoy the car and don't sell it too quickly!
  97. X

FK8 Potential FK8 owner

Still not been for a test drive yet... I see that Autocar mag have got a full road test next week,if that reads as well as I think it should it may be a clincher...subject to the said test drive. Regarding cruising refinement,the Autocar test data will show the gearing.A bit spoilt by the M140i...
  98. X

FK8 Potential FK8 owner

Hello everyone,my first post on here! If I do buy one of the latest Civic type Rs I may well be the oldest owner in the UK...let's just say my age starts with a 6! In the past I have previously owned 2 type Rs...or should I say three,because back in '96 I bought a new Prelude 2.2...
Back