• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

AEM CAI 'Hydro-locking' - engine side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a straight forward install, you need to chop your intake pipe in half to fit it. Depends how confident you are at cutting straight really.

Cutting straight is fine :) just wondering if they actually work. My car is a daily driver, wondering if I've done the right thing now.

Considering the Hondata airbox mod but not sure what power these can run - I have an RBC and full exhaust to be fitted, and getting k100 and map

Always wondered if this would work? Or dipping the clutch?

In jest. Engine off = No servo running for your brakes so if there's people/traffic about, I wouldn't do it.

Dipping the clutch no, as the engine is still running and therefore still breathing so if the CAI became submerged, it'll still hydrolock.

Standard box for winter and CAI pipe for summer? Just map to the summer one. I would not have thought the car will run to bad on the OEM in winter months when driving like an old lady.

funny, i've done over 40,000 miles in the last 2 years with mine and i've had no problems whatsoever....

he had done around 20-30k with the filter previous to that happening also... its all well and good until you get caught out, then you have to go pick up your pistons!!

To get full Hydrolock you would need to submerge the whole filter, this would mean water coming into your door sills and that would be a slightly bigger problem. I live in deepest Devon and suffered some of the worst weather running an AEM CAI, I never had a single problem, you just need to be clever and don't go trying to be a submarine driver. People need to get over the scaremongering that goes on about these kits. They are fantastic value and add a good amount of power to the car. I actually felt more worried about running my Gruppe M in fowl weather as the water went straight into the scoop.

Thinking about it, I read a good metaphor about this a while ago. Imagine a straw in a drink. If you suck hard on the straw, liquid will pass up through it quickly. If you only suck very gently, the liquid will rise up very slowly, and will take a long time to come out. So if you do find yourself heading towards a big puddle, use as little acceleration as possible to get through. Less acceleration = less air required to run the engine = less water getting sucked up instead.

Purely Internet physics mind, no real world knowledge on the subject here.

To get full Hydrolock you would need to submerge the whole filter, this would mean water coming into your door sills and that would be a slightly bigger problem. I live in deepest Devon and suffered some of the worst weather running an AEM CAI, I never had a single problem, you just need to be clever and don't go trying to be a submarine driver. People need to get over the scaremongering that goes on about these kits. They are fantastic value and add a good amount of power to the car. I actually felt more worried about running my Gruppe M in fowl weather as the water went straight into the scoop.

well personally, due to the fact I've seen it happen first hand, i would not have one installed, the guy was caught off guard on a country road at night, oncoming traffic and had nowhere to go but through it, it can happen the best off us! his interior is bone dry so no water came in the door openings. No scare mongering at all, just simple facts! you run a risk in wet weather using a kit that sits so low! :) ** post some pics later of the engine! such a waste of a 40k k20

Exactly this!

and to the comment about the guy being caught out, if the weather is severe enough that there would be water deep enough to cause hydrolock and you have an AEM CAI, perhaps it would be a good idea to drive to what you can see

Exactly this!

and to the comment about the guy being caught out, if the weather is severe enough that there would be water deep enough to cause hydrolock and you have an AEM CAI, perhaps it would be a good idea to drive to what you can see

i think you guys are just in love with your CAI!lol water does not need to be coming in your door sills and the whole filter certainly does not need submerged! Everyone knows the risks with water and filters thats low in the bumper, its up to you if you think its worth the hassle if it goes wrong! :)

i think you guys are just in love with your CAI!lol water does not need to be coming in your door sills and the whole filter certainly does not need submerged! Everyone knows the risks with water and filters thats low in the bumper, its up to you if you think its worth the hassle if it goes wrong! :)

No its not that at all, i've driven in all conditions with mine, its my daily drive and like i said i have done over 40,000 miles in it in the last 2 years, people hear of stories where hydrolock occurs and all of a sudden they are scared to drive through small puddles! it is scaremongering.

Yes there is a risk it could happen if you're stupid enough to drive through deep water when you have one, or be driving in such a fashion in severe conditions that you have no time to react should the road be flooded.

If it is such a bad intake why are so many people still running them on their cars?

By the way this is nothing personal against you bud, i'm just putting my argument across. :)

No no nothin personl at all dude, this wee debate got me through work today!lol
Well they obv work well and uv no worries on a nice dry day!lol i just dont think its suitable for the type of weather we get here, you know! Im sure lots of people have these many years for many miles, but some get caught out and like i said, pistons everywhere!lol iys just up to you if you wana run the risk, some people think the risk is low, i just think different due to the fact iv an ep3 in my garage right now with a hole in the block that wouldnt be there if it wasnt for the CAI!lol

No no nothin personl at all dude, this wee debate got me through work today!lol
Well they obv work well and uv no worries on a nice dry day!lol i just dont think its suitable for the type of weather we get here, you know! Im sure lots of people have these many years for many miles, but some get caught out and like i said, pistons everywhere!lol iys just up to you if you wana run the risk, some people think the risk is low, i just think different due to the fact iv an ep3 in my garage right now with a hole in the block that wouldnt be there if it wasnt for the CAI!lol

Please stop the text speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back